Feeding Plants and Overfeeding With Nutrient Solutions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffon

Reaction score
I have had my plants in 4 inch square containers filled with Fox Farm soil since day 1. It has been a little over three weeks, and I have been watering almost every day. It gets very hot in my grow room. (I know not good) My question is, I am going to start feeding my plants. The nutrient solution I have is Bio-Grow by Bio Bizz. It is N 2 P .1 K 6.6 I was going to go by the directions to feed the plants but it says I can feed with watering every time. Will that be too much? How often should I feed the plants with my watering? (I have the same soil in the pots since day one)

Hello Griffon :)

You are watering a lot, is the soil drying out between waterings?

Feed 1/4 strength every other watering to see if the plant can take it without getting nutrient burn.

After a week if the plant is showing no nutrient burn then up to dose to 1/2 the recommended feed.

What your doing is letting the plant tell you when your giving it too much :aok:

:peace:

In 3 weeks my plants are all out of the 16 oz Dixie cups I sprout/clone in. I'd suggest you get you some bigger containers pretty quick.

With FF you don't need nutes in the beginning. If you re-pot, you'll have new goodies in the new soil so be cautious when feeding.

How hot is "very hot"?

As far as I heard fox farm has 4 weeks of nutes in it. Your running on your fourth week so the nutes in your soil are getting low. But the fact you havnt transplanted yet means you should for sure do that, Especially before you flower. When you transplant you will be adding more soil with the nutes in it. That means you should be good on the nutes for another month. If your room gets hot it should be easier not to over water. Wait for that soil to get dry. Usaully I wait till it looks dry and wait another day or two for the bottom to dry up also. Be careful on the nutes and start with a 1/4 strength. But dont forget if your PH isnt correct it wont be using those nutes like it should anyways.

The only way I'm aware to tell if the "nutes" that come in the soil are used up is to just catch the begining run-off and run a "tds" test.Those numbers are solid.Diffrent plants use up the "pre-nutes" at diffrent rates according to size,shape and strain!

I was not intending to re-pot until the flowering stage. My grow area is extremely small and I do not want my plants to get bigger then 3 feet tall. I was going to jog them. I only have about 30 inches of height to grow in my flowering area. It has 24 inches of width and 15 inches of depth to the area. What size pots do you recommend I go to?

This is a closet grow. Lately the temp has been in the mid 90's. I really need to get a better fan. I am a bit skeptical because I don't know how carbon filters work and I'm not sure if I should build the carbon filter on this forums diy or if I should just buy one with an inline fan as a kit. I originally was thinking of getting a 4 inch vortex inline fan because they are much more powerful than my 30.00 inline fan from Menards. I hear they are also quieter.

And if you guys can explain to me, the carbon filter on the DIY says it's refillable. So does that mean that buying a pre-made carbon filter, they only last a certain time and then I have to buy a new unit? I'm confused.

yea-mid 90's is probly stuntin' growth. vortex fans are awesome. i was gonna get a 4", but spent the xtra $ and got a 6" and a variable speed controler- rather spend another $50 now than $150 later when i upgrade.

ok--carbon filter. the only ingredient is activated carbon. google it or ebay it and you can see how cheap it is. also can be picked up in small quantities at wally world or aquarium stores. the filter is just a means of the air entering one end, passing through the carbon, and exiting the other end. however you manage to do that works. (your air into the lid of a 5 gal bucket with the carbon inside, a cheap filter to catch dust, and drill a bunch of holes in the bottom of the bucket for the air to exit. )

activated carbon has so so so so many tiny holes all throughout it that just one gram has enough surface area to cover 2.17 tennis courts!! as the air travels through it the holes catch the particles and filter the air. check it out on wikipedia.

some bought filters are refillable. just depends on the filter.

Griffon said:
I was not intending to re-pot until the flowering stage. My grow area is extremely small and I do not want my plants to get bigger then 3 feet tall. I was going to jog them. I only have about 30 inches of height to grow in my flowering area. It has 24 inches of width and 15 inches of depth to the area. What size pots do you recommend I go to?

This is a closet grow. Lately the temp has been in the mid 90's. I really need to get a better fan. I am a bit skeptical because I don't know how carbon filters work and I'm not sure if I should build the carbon filter on this forums diy or if I should just buy one with an inline fan as a kit. I originally was thinking of getting a 4 inch vortex inline fan because they are much more powerful than my 30.00 inline fan from Menards. I hear they are also quieter.

And if you guys can explain to me, the carbon filter on the DIY says it's refillable. So does that mean that buying a pre-made carbon filter, they only last a certain time and then I have to buy a new unit? I'm confused.

Griffon about the Vortex fan...it's not so quite,yes they move alot of air but are not cheap!When I first built my grow space thats what I purchased.
When I helped my buddy build his he ordered 3 in line fans from home depot. for 1/3 the price and it moves more air(man o man ).
Hope this gives you a lil insite.

Latest posts

Back