fifth week of flowering and i've run into yet another problem PLEASE HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wedginfool

Reaction score
Just a breif explanation of what i've got going
I bought a phototron and followed manufacturers instructions
the manufacturer says to plant 6 plants in the phototron and then FIM them
so all 6 plants are in the same pot containing spaghnum peat moss which tends to give plants short internodal lengths in the first place and then with all the FIMing i've got so many branches it isn't even funny.
2 weeks into giving the nutrients that came with the phototron i got severe nutrient burn and then nutrient lock out and then iron defeciencies. when i got the problem fixed i veged for i dunno maybe 3-4 weeks till i had gotten nice vigorous growth (oh by the way i switched to flora series nutrients) anyway the temps in the phototron have always ran high especially at the top of the unit and my plants were getting up there in height. one is like 32 or 34 inches tall.
the temps near the top of the unit with the windows in the house open to allow maximum cooling (at the time it was like only anywhere like -25 to 20 degrees farenheight outside) so i was keeping the house so cold you could almost have ice in the kitchen sink to keep the temps down to what was anywhere from 85 to 105 on occasional spikes but most of the time in the 90's somewhere. Along with the heat from the bulbs i was getting burning from the fluoro's in the unit coming into direct contact with plants branches.
anyhow i recently had received my 2 250 hps lights and decided to pull the panels on the phototron and broadside them with hps lighting. this way i could shut off the phototrons flourescent lighting and quit burning my plants directly with the bulbs, and i would be able to pull them outside of the phototron giving them much needed space and allow lighting into the canopy of the massive bush.
the temps were approximately the same as the florescent but i started noticing very droopy wilting top fan leaves, like they were a blanket laying over a broom handle (the main stem in the leaf would stick out normally but the leaf it self just fell limp off the side of the main vein in the leaf) any way long story short the temps were very high for a couple of days and when i put a fan in there it seemed to make things worse right away. so i purchased an airconditioner and had to pipe the cold air directly into where the plants were. now i have the temps down to mid 70's but it appears that my biggest plant is or has been stunted or stopped the flowering, any ideas as to why it only affected my biggest plant??
this isn't true it has affected all of my plants at first. but the rest seem to have come back from the wilted stage but my big one still has the leaves that have the extreme wilting hanging off overside of the main stem in the leaf (this is at the top) of the plant. but it has lots of fried leaves over lots of areas of the plant.
the thing is i'm not so sure it's all from the heat i think i might be over fertilizaing too so i cut down to 50 percent mixture than what is called for at this stage
I'm also wondering if this could be a mg defeciency

ANY IN PUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED
thanks in advance:D

yes i sure wish i hadn't bought a darn phototron in the first place it's a huge waste of money.

it'd been a lot of years since i last grew 20 yrs, and i thought i would just follow directions given with the unit. if i ever use it again it will just be for one mother plant
does anybody have any idea if this is simply a heat issue or if i have multiple problems with heat and then with somesort of deficiency ?? or over fertilization?? I cut back on nutes just to be sure i wasn't adding to frying them

also there is the normal yellowing of leaves as the plant matures and I'm not sure which it is

Definitely only put one plant in there next time. The 90s is pretty high. Do you have any pictures? That would help us to diagnose your problem better. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

smokybear said:
Definitely only put one plant in there next time. The 90s is pretty high. Do you have any pictures? That would help us to diagnose your problem better. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

it's funny you asked that because i just bought a digital camera for just this purpose but as with all of my luck my computer dvd rom drive is busted and i cant download the software lol I got this computyer for 25 $

i need to get this fixed but everything has been costing so much it will have to wait until i start seeing some type of return on my money.

anyway the main damage is to my very best plant and it appears that it has stopped budding altogether. even spotted some amber trich's at least they looked amber to me (i am new at this) most of them were cloudy though
i'm wondering if i should harvest the main buds off of it and let the rest mature. I think i'll recheck the trich's tomorrow and see if i can see any more amber trichs

the strain is medibud from marijuana seeds n/l and they are supposed to have a flower time of 8 to 9 weeks so i should have 3 to 4 weeks to go. I'd like to see them fill out more but at least the others are looking good for now but i still wonder about a defeciency or over fert problem happening in conjunction with the heat problem i had and that if this could just be a flowering delay because of the shock??

I also wonder if the only reason the big one is the worst of all is because of the height of the plant being taller than the others and the temps being higher up there:D

wedginfool said:
I also wonder if the only reason the big one is the worst of all is because of the height of the plant being taller than the others and the temps being higher up there:D

Sure could be, but with no pics it is very hard to say what's going on.

If you are saying that you are only in week 5 of flowering, then unfortunatly it would be pointless to harvest anything, the active ingediant is not yet active. You need to try and give them atleast another week or 2 at the minimum.

But i am speaking in very general terms right now because I would need to see your plants to assess the problems fully.

"If you are saying that you are only in week 5 of flowering, then unfortunatly it would be pointless to harvest anything, the active ingediant is not yet active. You need to try and give them atleast another week or 2 at the minimum."

yea i know it's just that from the looks of it it looks as if it's done blooming and hey i'm out of smoke except for leaf that i pick up off the floor haha

have you checked the trichs with a 10-30x loup?

I would guess at this time that most of your trichs will still be clear, if they are clear then they will not even get ya high.

Believe me I feel ya on that about running out of smoke, but if it doesn't get ya high, you will be no better off, with now only half a plant. Hang in there a bit longer, and you will be pleasantly surprized

hey mass producer. if this is just a heat related thing and no nute thing then they should continue budding after the initial shock wouldn't you think??

at least if the temps continue in the mid to upper 70-'s huh??

Forsure, even if you have some nute burn or lock out, if you correct the problem now then they will be fine.

I would first flush out the medium with PH'd plain water, get some Vitamin B1 as this really helps with stress, and lower the temps. I wouldn't really give any nutes until you see some new growth, which you will, it just may take a day or two, but the vitaman B1 will really help to eliminate the stress

You will be cool and very soon you will have some beautiful buds to puff on, and let me tell you there is no weed like your weed that you grow with all your TLC, lol, but seriously

"have you checked the trichs with a 10-30x loup?"

i bought a small hand held microscope from radio shack for only 10 bucks it's 60 x 100 and works very well if you can get something to steady the bud while try to operate the focus and zoom. that can be a real pain in the you know what. darn thing the bud i mean is bouncing all over the place while you try to do this. it would work fine if you chopped it off and laid it on the table. then you could see it clearly. but from what i can see it looks like most of the trich's are cloudy some are still clear and it looks like i have some turning color

I have the same microscope. Very handy and cheap. You take a pair of scissors in one hand and a pair of tweezers in the other hand and cut a small piece of leaf on one of the buds and then sit it down on a table to look at it. I am also at week 5 of flower. Buds are looking great but don't give in now. Three more weeks and you will be so glad that we talked you out of harvesting early. Just my thoughts. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

thanks smokey i will as soon as i have my morning buzz and cup of coffee

wedginfool said:
i think i might be over fertilizaing too so i cut down to 50 percent mixture than what is called for at this stage

ANY IN PUT WOULD BE APPRECIATED
thanks in advance:D
if you were using GH nutes at recommended strength you probably added to your problem...i have found its very strong stuff. i used rec. strength once and burnt the poo out of my plant. now i let my meter and my plant decide on strength. you obviously have other issues as well but thats my penny on GH nutes. sure hope it works out 4 ya

lyfr said:
if you were using GH nutes at recommended strength you probably added to your problem...i have found its very strong stuff. i used rec. strength once and burnt the poo out of my plant. now i let my meter and my plant decide on strength. you obviously have other issues as well but thats my penny on GH nutes. sure hope it works out 4 ya

thanks a lot lyfr i don't know anything about hydroponic nutrients and their strength (i bought a ppm and ph and ec meter from ebay from a company in china it was only about 1/4 the price as a hanna but the problem is that i can't get the proper calibration fluid i've had it on order for more than a month now) but anyhow when i started using flora series i did start with 1/4 strength nutrient and bumped it right up right away because they were doing so well. I've never seen plants look better, I mean nice thick dark green leaves and growing extremely vigorously. so when i went to cut back the lights i didn't think anything about going right ahead with full strength nutes for transition period and full flowering.

but with only 3 to 4 weeks to finish shouldn't i be thinking about cutting down on nutrient anyway??? even if i wasn't overferting them??

and what is this i hear about adding carbohydrate like molasses during these weeks
will this boost bud growth or just add good flavor???:D

wedginfool said:
thanks a lot lyfr i don't know anything about hydroponic nutrients and their strength (i bought a ppm and ph and ec meter from ebay from a company in china it was only about 1/4 the price as a hanna but the problem is that i can't get the proper calibration fluid i've had it on order for more than a month now) but anyhow when i started using flora series i did start with 1/4 strength nutrient and bumped it right up right away because they were doing so well. I've never seen plants look better, I mean nice thick dark green leaves and growing extremely vigorously. so when i went to cut back the lights i didn't think anything about going right ahead with full strength nutes for transition period and full flowering.

but with only 3 to 4 weeks to finish shouldn't i be thinking about cutting down on nutrient anyway??? even if i wasn't overferting them??

and what is this i hear about adding carbohydrate like molasses during these weeks
will this boost bud growth or just add good flavor???:D
gh nutes is great stuff! i usually drop nutes down in wk 5 or 6(indica) and also start backing my light off last 2 wks so i dont cook out flavor. never added mollasess or any other sugar stuff...some people sware by , and some against it. i also increase dark period to 18 hours last week and off for last 24-36 hours. i hear it increases resins and its free to do! good luck man!

lyfr said:
gh nutes is great stuff! i usually drop nutes down in wk 5 or 6(indica) and also start backing my light off last 2 wks so i dont cook out flavor. never added mollasess or any other sugar stuff...some people sware by , and some against it. i also increase dark period to 18 hours last week and off for last 24-36 hours. i hear it increases resins and its free to do! good luck man!

thanks man i'll give it a try

when you go for the last 24 -36 hrs of total darkness do you wait until your trichs are the color you want them first or do you guestimate that they will be 50 50 cloudy and amber in 2 to 3 days

wedginfool said:
thanks man i'll give it a try

when you go for the last 24 -36 hrs of total darkness do you wait until your trichs are the color you want them first or do you guestimate that they will be 50 50 cloudy and amber in 2 to 3 days
i go for abouy half cloudy half amber(leaning towards amber)...then lights out. the trich's wont change much in that period.

Latest posts

Back