First Grow - CaliforniaOrangeBud <> BigBud <> RedShiva

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeaceKiller

Reaction score
Firstly, I would like to say many thanks to everyone here on MP for all the great information, from the novices to the more experienced. I've been lurking here for a few months and have learned so much. I've decided to finally make an account and share my Grow Journal in hopes to learn more as well as help my fellow members.

Now onto the good stuff

Cabinet: 16L x 20W x 40H
Lights: 3 CFL's (5500K) = Total about 85 W - about 6000 Lumens.
2 x 55W 6700K 22" CFL's on the way which will add another 8000 Lumens or so. Will post pics upon setup.
Soil: MG Garden Soil (All I had available at the time)
60870262_640.jpg
Light cycle is 18/6. One intake fan down low, one exhaust up top pulling hot air off the lights.

Germinated 5 CaliOrangeBud, 5 BigBud, 5 Red Shiva using paper towel technique. All 15 seeds had tap roots 2 days later, in which I planted.
01.jpg

2 days later, showed themselves.
02.jpg03.jpg

About a week later (day 10) Transplanted the Shiva and COB to larger 2qt containers, as they are growing much faster then the BB.
04.jpg05.jpg

About day 16 now and transplanted the the 5 BB to larger containers as well.
06.jpg07.jpg

At this point, there is starting to be a noticable odor :hubba:. So what better to do than make your own scrubber. Some consider me cheap, others, practical, however whatever gets the job done is what counts. All props go to Ryoko @ Garensecure.com for the design which has great results.
1 Roll screen
1 Honeywell Activated Carbon Pre-Filter Sheet
1 Coffee can
Few Zip Ties and some Duct Tape
Total cost, about 15 bucks.

Chop ends off of the coffee can and sand down.
50.jpg

Zip Tie it up (I coulda ran the screen around twice, but I'm guessing the 120mm (4.75") computer exhaust fan puts out about 40-50 CFM and I wanted the least amount of obstruction as possile to allow for more airflow). Wrapped filer around about 2 times. Finished scrubber size 5" x 9"
51.jpg52.jpg54.jpg

Wow, did that thing make a difference:clap:. I do feel the air come out all around it, and the temps in the cabinet remain unchanged, perfect.

The cabinets getting crowded much faster than I anticipated (it's like times square on new years eve in there), but I hope the addition of the 2 new CFL's later this week will provide more light to help penetrate down low. No nutes yet, and not planning on any during the Veg, as everything looks well so far, I'll just let them be (if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?).

Flowering will take place in a Hydrohut Mini. I'll deal with that when the time comes. Another 2 or 3 more weeks Veging perhaps (I will play it by ear, depending on how long I can maintain healthy plants in the cabinet). I'm looking at running a 400W HPS with electronic ballast and air coolable reflector.

Question... Do you think i need a air coolable reflector for a 400W HPS, or could I go open reflector? This will be in a 3.5' x 3.5' x 6.5' Hydrohut.

Once again, thank you to everyone.

Nice job so far. I wouldn't worry about the light so much, where are all the plants going to go? I would go to flower now if you are going to try to get 15 plants (even whatever you have left after you pull males will be crowded) in that space, way to small. You'll just have to watch temps, increase air flow regarding heat and the lamp, air cooled is always nice. Good like and nice job :D

Great carbon scrubber, setup looks good, u might want to go get 2 or 3 more cfl's in there to about 10,000 lumens more light the better but just being practical and economical lol.:)

I would definitely try to get as many lights into that box as possible. Also, you may want to containers that are dark in color next grow. Move the lights as close as possible to the plant tops. Cfls are relatively cool so they wont burn the plant tops. That will provide better light penetration for your babies. Also, as Joker said, go ahead and put them into flower pretty soon. They are going to get really realy crowded in that box even after you remove the males.

Good luck and take care. Be safe. BTW, they are lookin real good my friend!

Thank you all for the feedback, appreciated. I will raise the plants up back closer to the lights, until my 2 additional CFL's come in, and take it from there. You're right, there's no sense having all that space between the lights and plants (well over a foot in this case).

I won't be flowering in this cabinet, but a Hydrohut Mini under a 400W HPS.

Well, the extra CFL's came in, thankfully some electrician friends helped wire the ballast and sockets.
08.jpg

These 2 55W - 6700k lamps add about another 4500 Lumens a piece. They get rather warm so I threw in 2 more 80mm fans.
09.jpg10.jpg

Wow!:cool: Need shades to look in there now, holy smokes. These things blow the 3 CFL buls away in terms of brightness.
11.jpg

I will go to flower in less than 2 weeks. It's way to crowded in there, I completely underestimated the space needed in there, but it's a lesson learned.

Keep you posted. Be well.

use light proof containers, it could create major problems with light penetrating the roots using those 2 liters. Roots HATE light

nice set up you have there,,,,,, gl on the plants being girls

You should buy some y-adapters they allow you to connect 2 bulbs to one socket...

looks like you have it going on :hubba: goodluck with them babies and on hoping there girlies :giggle:

WOW VERY NACE SET UP GOOD LUCK WITH THE GROW HOPE YOU GET NICE STRONG LADIES
2 MRGREENIE THUMBS UP:clap:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, appreciated. I forgot yet again to cover the clear containers:rolleyes:.

Quick update.

The 2 55W CFL's were getting to hot, so they are put on hold. Plants are about a month old.
12.jpg13.jpg

Hydrohut assembled.
14.jpg

Remaining supplies will be assembled this week (lights, fan, etc.) Keep you posted.

Be well.

Quick update.

Finally, the hut is fully set up. Had to wait because the 6" Valueline inline fan was so darn loud, i couldn't run it discretly. It's great, don't get me wrong, the thing pushes a lot of air, however it's as loud as my vacum. I finally got my hands on a variable speed control, which I have on about 25% speed and is much quieter, and there is still plenty of air is comming out of the hut, it was a great solution. Everything seems well balanced now. Carbon filter (from ebay) to inline fan to 400 HPS cool tube and out top. The Digital Greenhouse ballast is virtually silent.
15.jpg16.jpg17.jpg18.jpg

I started 12/12 a few days ago in the cabinet, and as soon as I can determine sex they will go into the hut accordingly. I will update when the ladies are put in their new home.

Be well everyone.

Your setup has come a long way and i am jealous,:eek: lol. Seriously though thats nice, and sounds efficient, your plants look beautiful keep it up. You might want to wrap the bottom of those 2 liters with duct tape or something, roots dont like light..just my .02Cents.

:ciao:
Some may call you cheap and/or practical, but I say 'very creative.'
I love your scrubber. Very nice set up you have there.
:watchplant: I will be watching your progress.
I'm especially interested in the California Orange. I've seen photos and it is a beautiful plant.
Yours look happy and loved. Take Care.
:peace: :fly:

Latest posts

Back