First noob grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, looks damn good..:) Anyways I was wondering does anyone know how deep a grow tray should be on an Ebb and Flow hydroponics system (homemade..of course..:hubba: ) to be sufficient enough for mature plants ?

Thanks upinarms, I appreciate your comment. Sorry that I can't help you with your hydro problem though.

Now for the bad news. I was just looking at my plants and started to notice these white blotches on them. Some are in spots and some are like blobs of it. I really have no idea what it could be, and to be honest I'm not so sure I want to know. But if its serious, anyone mind helping me out with it?

The first two are of the leave problem. The third is the node. I was wondering if its too early to tell sex yet and took a picture to see if anyone could tell. The last is just of all three plants so far.

DSCN0703.JPG

DSCN0707.JPG

DSCN0705.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

those spots looke a little like they could be the start of nute burn or light burn not too sure which what ( if any) nutes have you given them cause you dont wanna start feeding nutes till after about amonth month and a half and even with Cfls ( which i use too) you still have to watch how close they get to the plant i recomend at least 6" away as far as if they are girls ( we all hope ) and dudes its still tooo early to tell youll ahve to wait till you see that the fans and nodes arnt even with one another and start to be more like stairs and then you may see hairs (please let them be hairs ) and not cocouts in the nodes

Dubbaman said:
those spots looke a little like they could be the start of nute burn or light burn not too sure which what ( if any) nutes have you given them cause you dont wanna start feeding nutes till after about amonth month and a half and even with Cfls ( which i use too) you still have to watch how close they get to the plant i recomend at least 6" away as far as if they are girls ( we all hope ) and dudes its still tooo early to tell youll ahve to wait till you see that the fans and nodes arnt even with one another and start to be more like stairs and then you may see hairs (please let them be hairs ) and not cocouts in the nodes

Thanks, I appreciate your help. So far, I haven't introduced any nutes yet. But I have this stuff called Expert Gardiner's All purpose plant food. Anyone know anything about it? And I just checked in on my plants and noticed the light seems to be giving off quite the amount of heat. I'm guessing like you said its either light damage, or possibly PH. Thanks for your advice on the sex too. Im going to try and vent the box a little better and see what happens.

What lights are you using and how close your lights maybe to close to plant ;)

Cook_ said:
What lights are you using and how close your lights maybe to close to plant ;)

Right now, I've got them under a CFL. Its not too close I don't think, but being in a box, its kind of hard to tell since the light is attached to the top. But the plant with the worst problem actually isn't directly under the light. I should have an update soon and show how its gotten worse.

getting worse doesn't sound real good to me guy you sure your not feeding it any of that food cause food is nutes to the plant and it may not be ready for it how old was it(ill reread the post and see if i find it) OK so your plant is about a month old you should be about ready to start using nutes if you want to but as far as the spots the only thing i can say is that in that box in the pics it looks like the light will sit right on top of them in there and i didn't see a lot of ventilation so it most likely getting hot in there

hope this helps a little but alot would be better

Dubbaman said:
getting worse doesn't sound real good to me guy you sure your not feeding it any of that food cause food is nutes to the plant and it may not be ready for it how old was it(ill reread the post and see if i find it) OK so your plant is about a month old you should be about ready to start using nutes if you want to but as far as the spots the only thing i can say is that in that box in the pics it looks like the light will sit right on top of them in there and i didn't see a lot of ventilation so it most likely getting hot in there

hope this helps a little but alot would be better

Yes, trust me on the nutes part. I have always been afriad of using them, so I just steered clear. As for the ventilation, the last pictures were of the box before I cut holes in it and put a fan blowing air in. I have a thermometer in there and the highs run about 81 and the lows about 76.

And now for the updates =)

Ok, well I played photographer tonight and tried to get the best and the most pictures I could of my plants. The white blob problem seems to have gone away on plant #1, but on plant #3 it seems to have gotten worse. Today I didn't water them, so maybe that had some type of effect. As for the size, well I have pretty big hands, but I'm sure you can get somewhat of the jist. Also, as of right now Im preparing on expanding the box and transplanting plant #1 to a bigger pot. Not to mention praying to the all mighty herb gods that it is female. If not, I don't know what I'm going to do, because the other two seemed to have halted growth. :(

As for the sex, I figured it was too early to tell yet. But I still snagged a few pictures of plant #1 anyways seeing as how its the most developed. And man, the smell of these plants is nice. Its like fresh green weed, and only being able to smell musty bag weed till now. I love it. Sadly though, I had to put an air freshener in the room so to keep it more secretive.

As for the setup, I plan on getting more lights this weekend and narrowing it down to only one plant when I get the sexes all figured out. Oh, and is there anything I should be doing to make the plant show sex? Or will it eventually just grow its parts in the vegetative state?

Ok, heres how the pictures go. The first two are of my box. The next three are of plant #1. And the four after that are of plant #2.

DSCN0710.JPG

DSCN0728.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

DSCN0715.JPG

DSCN0717.JPG

DSCN0727.JPG

DSCN0724.JPG

DSCN0725.JPG

DSCN0726.JPG

huy guy thought i pop infor a looky at he update and see how its going id realy be getting on that bigger boc vause them babys aint gonna stay small for long plant 1 isnt looking bad at all but the others are it looks like your light is way to close to the plant mostly in that one shot of #3 where the side of the leaf is curling up that where id bet that your light is really too close to it and give them a few more days with that fan blowin in some air for them cause it may help the #1 but or the other plants id get them some more height away from the light 4"-6" off with fluro & CFL

I hope your plants grow to there fullest but if your using natural sunlight to grow your plan right now would not be a good idea.

This is why, when you grow outside with soil and just sunlight the fall of right befor winter the days become shorter and the sunset is a more orange color for growing that trigers for the plant to start buding no matter how long its been growing.

What i think you should do is make a small setup in your room with a 250 watt compact florcent and in 8 months go to a high presure sodium that will be more than anough power to grow 5 plants, trust...... I have done it but with two 250 watt lamps

Ok, so first off. Sorry to everyone on the delayed reaction. Just been a little busy lately. Anyways, on to the plants. Since my last drop in, I've made the box bigger, transplanted plant #1, and got rid of one of my little sprouts. During the transplant of Plant #1, I accidently damaged about half of the roots, which I know isn't good, but since then the plant's been doing well. Flourishing I'd guess you could say =) And to answer everyone's questions, No I am not using natural sunlight, I am positive that the light is not too close , and I have switched the watering to about once every other day.

Now for my questions. First off (yes I have read and searched and searched and watched and searched and even ASKED before) but I was wondering when the plants should start showing sex. Do I need to introduce the 12/12 light cycle for this to occur? And also, I've been planning on keeping only one plant, seeing as I only have room for one.

As always, any comments or feedback is unbelievably appreciated:bong2:

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, forgot pictures. =) And also, I forgot to mention that plant #1 was damaged pretty bad too when something fell on it. The stems still good, just a few tears and rips in a couple leaves. Seems to be recovering though.

DSCN0737.JPG

DSCN0736.JPG

DSCN0743.JPG

12/12 will induce flowering, showing the sex of the plant.

but this shouldnt be done till you have started seeing alternateing nodes on your plants this is when they will be sexually mature and then can be turned on to the 12/12 to sex them out

Latest posts

Back