First noob grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

allah

Well, this is my first ever (semi successful) grow to date. I know the set up is completely rudimentary but I hope to change that if these things take off. Right now they've been growing for about 6 or seven days. Only about 4 or 5 in pure soil. And I've got some pictures of the two that have come the farthest. I'm keeping them indoors for now, and probably will have too because of the upcoming winter. Every day I put them in sunlight on my windowsill with the window open and water them about twice a day. At night, I put them in my closet with the fan on and temperature under control. So far so good? Or is it taking a bad turn already?

I'm not trying to get the most dank possible stuff yielding by the 2-3 ounces. Really, just trying to get something for me and my friends to chill with and maybe pick up a hobby. Any suggestions so far? Thanks in advance for your help.

PS. Link to pix

try using www.resize2mail.com for your pics.

I think its to dangerous personally to leave your plants in your window sill. This growing stuff is getting more dangerous by the day. Tokers seem to have a misconception that legalization is around the corner and that the laws are lax. Not so, check your state rules at: http://www.norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=4516

Your also running out of vegging daylight. You need to invest in a grow light. Personally i would spend the 100 bucks right out the door on a 400W HPS. Its cheap and will yield the results your looking for. 2 plants under this light (strains vary) will provide you and 5 friends around an Oz each ever couple months.

oh man....where's my manners....

welcome and good luck with your grow. Personally i love pics so if you could post pics instead of links that would be great.

I am looking forward to seeing your "ladies".

Peace

allgrownup said:
oh man....where's my manners....

welcome and good luck with your grow. Personally i love pics so if you could post pics instead of links that would be great.

I am looking forward to seeing your "ladies".

Peace

Thanks, I appreciate the welcome.

Ok, update so far. Unfortunately, I lost two of my best sprouts in the past few days. And they were both because of idiot moves. I just transplanted the rest last night into bigger pots that aren’t see through. Also, I got a light I think might be ideal for growing. Only thing is, I have two. Pix of them are below, I was kind of hoping you guys could tell me which one would do me good. As for the plants, they’ve been through a lot lately, and just seemed to have stop growing. Hoping for the best though. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and got the pictures linked now, so were good.

Light #1

Well, heres an update on my project. Since the last one, I've gone through two lights that did absolutely nothing for my plants which means they stayed about an inch high for two weeks straight. Just recently, I said **** it and went out and bought some CFLs. Its been amazing what I've seen in just a few days. I'm down to three now, but they all look healthy and can see progress almost hourly. Let me know what you guys think so far, any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Set up (oscillating fan in corner on always, 100W CFL)

Plant #2

Plant #3
Site Rules
7. Please try to post all of your pictures on this site. Linking to other sites has inherent risks involved that should be kept to a minimum if at all possible. We have both a Gallery and the ability to post as many as eight pictures with each post you make. Please post your pictures here, instead of linking to them.

Hourly? Wow, I have like 2 100w CFL's on 3 plants and mine stopped growing like 2 days ago.
Actually 2 haven't broke ground yet, the other is like 4 days older but still only like 1 1/4 inch. :cry:

Sorry to hear about your plant. The only reason I can think of of why mine is growing so quick is because it was basically dormant for two weeks straight and I have it on a 24 hour light cycle. Hope it gets going for you.

Nice Pics Allah! the plants are coming along nicely.

Have you turned that light you have there into a "quad cfl"????

get yourself a fan blowing gently across the tops of your babies and get that cfl right down on them maybe 3-4" s or so.

Your plants are going to seem like they are growing slow at first. Thats ok. They are forming their root structure. Also, you don't want a tall plant IMHO. You want the shortest bushiest plant you can manage to grow. That's my goal anyways. You achieve that by keeping that light as close as you can without damaging them. I can get my plants to grow right up to them.

PH is very important as well so if you haven't bought yourself a digital Ph tester, you may want to go check them out on ebay asap. i use a cheapo 40 dollar one. Don't Nute for the first 2 weeks. Don't Nute for the first 2 weeks. I typed that twice purposely.

Great growin so far man! Keep it up and you'll be smokin your own in no time.

quad.jpg

makequad.jpg

Looking good so far. Good idea changing to cfl's. What kind of lights are you planning on using for your flowering?

Wow. I officially love this forum. Thanks allgrown for the quad cfl idea. Ill be sure to pick that up this weekend. And as for the PH, I got organic soil, which I heard is good for maintaining PH, but I really have no idea. That PH tester sounds like a good buy also. As for the fan, thats all in there and has been since day one.

And to homemade, I really am not so sure on the lighting for flowering. Right now, I'm guessing on just a shitload of CFLs. I can't have it getting too hot, or the energy too high. Sound good?

And for the possible bad news. I was just thinking about how I went through two weeks of basically darkness for my plants because the lights were useless . Could this have messed them up? Like started the budding process by chance? Dear god...I hope not. Anyways, thanks everyone so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it and will be back very soon with updates.

allah where did you buy thoughs Y adapters?

hey all grownup i like that quad cfl setup you got, where do you get the adapter so to speak, to hook all four up??

You can get Y adapters in Wal mart. They are like $.96. They're in the lighting section, a few rows over from the bulbs. :D

Home Depot or Lowes.

they are cheap. You will need 3 "Y"s and 1 socket extension. I take mine all the way apart and disconnect the plug wire as well. That way i can fit it through a hole just big enough for the cord in my box. then reassemble. You may have to leave the reflector loose. You'll know what i mean when you do it.

PM if you need any assistance. I'm always around.

Peace.

also man....refer to my first post.

i use the quad cfl's for my cloning and my mother cabinets.

IMHO...save yourself the money man. Buy an HPS up front from HTGSupply. 400W will set ya back 100 bucks. Your going to acquire all these cfl's and then your going to realize, Sheet i coulda bought and HID that puts out 50,000 lumens for the same amount i just spent on all these bulbs, refelctors, plugs, adapters. It will all add up in the end.

You want a light that you can use for veg and flower. thats your best bet. trust me. Spend more now to save later.

Constantly upgrading will burn holes in your pockets.

make sure that the one that splits into the other 2 splitters can handle the current draw

whoawhoa said:
Hourly? Wow, I have like 2 100w CFL's on 3 plants and mine stopped growing like 2 days ago.
Actually 2 haven't broke ground yet, the other is like 4 days older but still only like 1 1/4 inch. :cry:
You dont really need a light on your plant till it breaks grown... you should just keep it wet and make sure keep it on 24/7 for atleast 2 weels then 18/6 then 12/12 1 a month 1 week in then 10/14 month after that

And to homemade, I really am not so sure on the lighting for flowering. Right now, I'm guessing on just a shitload of CFLs. I can't have it getting too hot, or the energy too high. Sound good?

And for the possible bad news. I was just thinking about how I went through two weeks of basically darkness for my plants because the lights were useless . Could this have messed them up? Like started the budding process by chance? Dear god...I hope not. Anyways, thanks everyone so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it and will be back very soon with updates.[/quote]

I agree with allgrownup I would save yourself in the long run and buy an hid light. Trust me you be much happier. But if you want to buy a shitload of cfl's by all means go ahead Ive seen lots of good grows with cfl's.
As far as you messing your plants up I think you mite of stressed them a little bit but Im pretty sure they have to be sexually mature first before they start to show signs of sex, and yours are just to young. Now that you have some decent lighting I think you'll be ok. Just think about getting yourself an hid light. Keep us updated and good luck.

whew.............that girl in your avatar is SMOKIN

what a hottie :hubba:

Ok everybody. Im back again with some new news. Since my last update, I've invested in a grow box. Its still very much a WIP but I like to think its taking shape. I know already that I'm going to have to expand it once the plants get bigger and that only one light will by no means be enough for all those plants. But my plan is to wait till the box is too small to make it bigger and probably only keep one plant and put more lights in there. I'm still at three serious plants only. Pictures are below. And if you notice my light fixture, I know its only one. I went to both home depot and walmart to see if they had a Y-splitter and...they didn't. So I'm still looking for that. Also I have a small 6" fan outside of the box blowing air in. Thanks in advance for the help. More to come.

PS. Anyone have any ideas about 'Expert Gardiner's All purpose plant food? I have some and was wondering when I should start adding nutes. And for the lighting, I think I may have to keep it with the CFLs. I really can't afford anything else and they keep the heat down pretty low.

DSCN0696.JPG

DSCN0697.JPG

DSCN0699.JPG

DSCN0700.JPG

DSCN0702.JPG

Latest posts

Back