First time indoor, and I got only one question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistisrising

Wierd Al Yank a Male
Reaction score
Actually I have two questions. I have a space that will be roughly 2.5x10, split into two for separate stages. According to my numbers two 600's will cover the light, however I have no way of safely venting air unless it is ABSOLUTELY odor free. So first, will a carbon filter do this? I see many use them, but I can't seem to find a decent account of what to expect. (it's possible I'm looking in the wrong spots). And, if not, can I add a step, I already have a ionizer.

Second, without ventilation, the heat will be intense. I thought about cutting the room(s) down and venting the hot air into another airtight space, but I lose the space. Should I go with floroescents(sp?), or is there a better way to keep my space and shed the heat? I'd hate to lose lumens, and therefore grams.

I realize I may be asking the same questions as others. I apologize in advance if I missed the answers elsewhere.

you will definatly do yourself a favor by getting a carbon filter if you are worried about smell. As for heat, can you cut a hole in the ceiling? If so try using an air cooled light with a fan and some duct to run the heat from the lights up out of your grow space. If that is not an option, I've used the portable air conditioners that go in your window...those work awesome because they keep it cool and work like a fan in that they push the air around. Good luck and let me know if I can help.:cool:

Helps a little, but the problem is the room is in the basement of a home with no windows. (one that is there is bricked off) what about the in room air conditioners? They vent through a hose. Could I vent one through the filter, or would the draw of the fan screw up the vent of the a/c?

First of all, consider using cfls or a T5 for vegging and a single HPS for flowering. This will cut your heat in half. You may be able to vent through a sewer vent. I think I can find a link on how to do this (if there is plumbing pipes in your basement. Basements stay fairly cool. You may be able to simply exhaust hot air into the basement space. You can run ducting to the other side of the basement for exhaust.

I agree with Hemp Goddess. I would definitely consider using cfls or T5's for your veg stage. They put out almost no heat and are pretty good for veg.

If you're worried about the smell, I would definitely take a look at the DIY carbon filters. I have never used one personally but I have heard from many reputable sources that they work great.

Now for your heat issues. You stated that your space is 2.5x10 that you were going to split into two rooms. So the dimensions are going to be approximately 2.5x5 for each room? How much vertical space do you have to work with? I would probably go with 1 600 watt for that area in your flower space. Are your 600's air-cooled? If so, I would just vent the air into the basement and see if that works. I think that you won't have much of a heat issue considering that basements stay pretty cool throughout the year. I would go with that at the moment and see if that works. Set the rooms up and turn the lights on before you start putting plants in there and see what the temps are like. Hope this helps. Get back to us if you have any more problems. Take care and be safe.

Yes 2.5x4.5 (studs). I checked out the carbon filter, looks easy enough. before I put the shelving in I may have to go in there with the ventilation and burn one, and have the homeowner stand outside and see if he can smell it.

I've never heard of a t5, lemme go look it up and I'll get back with any more questions I have. Thanks for the info.

Looked into cfls online and here. It said that bulbs had a color (kelvin) rating of either 2700, or thereabouts, and 3300 and change. Is there any benefit to either? I would only be using them for veg. Plus, how many do you guys think I'll need? Do I still go by the rated wattage (ie- 10sq ft =500w, or only four of the thirty(150)watt ones). And I also saw higher wattages like forty and fifty, are these ok also?

Latest posts

Back