Fishing Stories

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StoneyBud

Erbal said:
I definitely don't fight the crowds like that as much anymore, but the fish is like crack, you do crazy stuff to get it. For the most part I go dipnetting. That is where the true fun lies, just scooping the fish out of the water :)

My record fish caught and kept during any one trip would be my limit of 30. I tend to throw the scrawny ones back ... My biggest record fish caught this way would be a King salmon at about 60-65 lbs.

What sort of fish do you go for Stoney?
:48:

I didn't want to throw jesuse's "Street Deals" thread off any more than it already was, so I've started this one to continue the Fish Stories.

Man, I love fishing. Fresh water, salt water, I love em both. My absolute best tasting fish is the "Southern Kingfish", which is known locally as "Whiting". Put into a smoker with some cherry wood and it's almost addictive, it's so good.

Fresh water favorite is Bass. It always feels like a 200 pounder is on the line the way they fight.

I have never had the opportunity to eat Southern Kingfish. This talk is making my mouth water!

Also never been bass fishing although I got a couple of rods sitting in the garage. I think I might have to check out what So Cal has to offer for fishing.

Ever been deep sea fishing? I once hauled a 120 lb halibut from 500ft down once. My arms were killing me haha! I once caught a glimpse of Palin doing some halibut fishing on that show she has, was the worse demo of fishing I ever saw. Instead of using rod and reels, they were using winches attached to motors... :doh: Of course, anything that Palin does is typically a joke, so no true surprise there.

No, I don't do boats any more. I'm strictly a bank fisherman.

I've heard in So Cal the fishing is only good if you go out a ways. When I was working, I had reason to be in LA a bunch of times. There is a sushi place on Main Street in El Segundo that has my business EVERY time I go there. From 4 to 6pm every day, thier sushi is half priced. My usual tab for sushi is around $50, so $25 is way better. (The "Hana Haru" sushi bar).

I've eaten sushi in maybe a hundred places and Hana Haru is the best of the best.

I contacted the FDA about eating Whiting as sushi and evidently was taken seriously. One of their scientists answered my email with several follow-ups. He said that there were no reports at all of Whiting causing any health problems ever. Raw or cooked. It's very similar to Yellowtail sushi. A kind of *crunch* to the bite and an excellent flavor.

Man, when you catch your first large Bass, you'll be hooked, (no pun intended). That is one of the best fighting fishes I've ever caught!

.......:)

baitshop.jpg

halibut.jpg

Those are some nice looking fish you got there Hick.

Stoney, I asked a couple of friends already and all they did was mention some lake they keep farm stocked with catfish that was pretty close by.

Man I thought my last post was here but its still on street deals, I don't know much about website ettiquet, but t sounds right being here, I've always called my smoke "fisherman's helper", Anyway I'll take some pics this weekend, we stay in wash. but launch the boat in oregon. The last time me and my Bro did this we got over 80 fish in 5 trips, over 7 days, what a blast!! I use a 8 1/2 foot lamiglass MH salmon moocher coupled with a shimano 200 levelwind, and that superthin braided toughline, for the sturgeon, some of them get pretty big, can't keep the big ones here.
the Skagit river is a major west coast tributary to the pacific ocean via puget sound, all salmon from humpies to chinook run up her.

Sturgeon on the lower columbia,  Washington.jpg

Erbal said:
Stoney, I asked a couple of friends already and all they did was mention some lake they keep farm stocked with catfish that was pretty close by.

If it's got cats in it, I'll bet it's got other types of fish too! Give it a try!:D Make sure you get whatever licences you need for that specific lake. You don't want to give your hard earned money to the ranger. Better to give just a little to the state for the licences.:p

The lake here that the back-flow from the salt-water Inter-coastal waterway goes into has a freakin BILLBOARD full of rules and laws. No kiddin, you almost need a lawyer with you to fish that place. :eek:

SKAGITMAGIC said:
Man I thought my last post was here but its still on street deals, I don't know much about website ettiquet, but t sounds right being here, I've always called my smoke "fisherman's helper", Anyway I'll take some pics this weekend, we stay in wash. but launch the boat in oregon. The last time me and my Bro did this we got over 80 fish in 5 trips, over 7 days, what a blast!! I use a 8 1/2 foot lamiglass MH salmon moocher coupled with a shimano 200 levelwind, and that superthin braided toughline, for the sturgeon, some of them get pretty big, can't keep the big ones here.
the Skagit river is a major west coast tributary to the pacific ocean via puget sound, all salmon from humpies to chinook run up her.

Dang man! What in the hell is that photo? Is that real or photo-shopped? haha Freakin fish that size would scare the crap outta me!

I caught a Striped Bass once that was almost as long as I am. That thing in your pic looks like a monster!

What, did a vial of Ooze leak out into your waters there Skag? That is some fish!

One of the things I never mess with is Fish & Game. Always have licenses for whatever I am doing. Up in AK you could be fishing next to a guy wearing the same gear as everyone else until you get catch your limit, then would to see your papers as you left.

StoneyBud said:
Dang man! What in the hell is that photo? Is that real or photo-shopped? haha Freakin fish that size would scare the crap outta me!

I caught a Striped Bass once that was almost as long as I am. That thing in your pic looks like a monster!

I don't know if the picture is real or not but it looks like some kind of sturgeon from that angle, especially with the mouth out like that and the fins that go outwards.

I hope you guys are watching River Monsters on Animal Planet he really catches some real interesting fish on that show.

im off to fish this weekend. hopefully a good fishing trip for kokanee, trout, burbot (ling cod) and whatever else wants to bite. ill post pics sunday hopefully, or just tell the story of the big 1 that got away.

yup i think the pic is a big strugeon.......

i love to fish anything i can. i fish alot actualy here are a few pics of a couple fish. 2 bass. a 36.5 in northern a coon i shot. and my old fishing buddy. see iw as raised in a family that hunts and fish's all the time. my father and grandfather fished TONS of bass tournaments here in michigan. When you have awsome people to teach you young you can pass it on. just remember give a man a fish feed him for a day. teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime. i also enjoy taking my daughter fishing when she wants to go. i figured you would liek a shot of the colors of the pike and not the belly thast in my bathtub still alive lol when i took the picture.

bass.jpg

coon.jpg

fishen buddy.jpg

northern.jpg

northern 2.jpg

Stoney, I hear you about the Large Mouth Bass--they are SO much fun to reel in.

Valleyboy, you REALLY want to go catfish noodlin'? Did you ever see those guys hands when they finally get them out of the catfish's mouth? I do not understand the kind of machismo that requires one go underwater in the darkest and most impossible to see places, then stick a bare hand in a stump where there could be water moccasins waiting. Seems to me like some sturdy rubber gloves would be a whole lot safer. But it sure is fun to watch on TV!

JC--nice fish, great dog, but did you have to kill the cute little raccoon? Okay, I'm a Michigander by birth too, and used to lots of hunting and fishing, but no way could I look a cutie patooties raccoon in the face and pull the trigger. Guess that's why they kicked me out of Michigan and send me West. LOL!

no mojave it was in the garage at noone one day rite after my daughter came in. i didnt want anythin gwith a disease around. i had no clue why the nocturnal animal was out side but it had chased the neighbors dog the day before so i figured i would put it out. other wise i pry would have let it go. if it hadnt been for the daughter being 4 it may have lived to be a bigger coon. but you should know how it is up here, when there out in the middle of the day somethings wrong

Took the boat over to a local lake i haven't fished in awhile, HMMM probably go back tommorow. It was truly like a summer day yesterday, this is today. LOL

P1100011.JPG

P1100013.JPG

Latest posts

Back