Flowering question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shockeclipse

1000w Of Love
Reaction score
When do plants start to put on the most weight? Mine are pretty big plants so I am expecting some pretty lrg colas, and so far they are not all that big. I flipped 12/12 on may 21 with preflowers showing, and I believe you figure in the start of buds forming as the start of flowering time right? I figure I would technically be in my sixth week of flower now. I am growing bagseed but I am starting to get a but nervous as to my buds seemingly not getting fatter. I am going to take a look through my scope at some trichs when I get home so hopefully I can see where they are at in life.... And also, I know it doesn't signal harvest time and I am watching my trichs, but what does it mean when the pistils change colors?

Pistils changing colors means 1 or 2 things....1st - it's been pollenated, and is no longer a viable plant vagina....cos it's pregnant....2 - you touched, or something else touched it, and the stigma just withered - no biggie....2 million more will produce. If yer buds are still super whispy, and not densing up - cut your light hours down to 10/14 and see if that helps - helped me on more than 1 occasion. Depending on the breed of your plant - some kinds depending on light (heat, ph etc etc etc) can take 12+ weeks to finish flowering. Make sure the room temp isn't getting too high -that can also contribute to slow crappy growth...So six weeks....six more weeks at 10/14 and scouts honor - you'll have a pretty li'l girl. Good luck!!!!

I would say buds fill in best the last month of the grow.

If your growing a sativa then you may have to wait up to 8 more weeks.

Got any pictures?

greenthumberish said:
Pistils changing colors means 1 or 2 things....1st - it's been pollenated, and is no longer a viable plant vagina....cos it's pregnant....2 - you touched, or something else touched it, and the stigma just withered - no biggie....2 million more will produce. If yer buds are still super whispy, and not densing up - cut your light hours down to 10/14 and see if that helps - helped me on more than 1 occasion. Depending on the breed of your plant - some kinds depending on light (heat, ph etc etc etc) can take 12+ weeks to finish flowering. Make sure the room temp isn't getting too high -that can also contribute to slow crappy growth...So six weeks....six more weeks at 10/14 and scouts honor - you'll have a pretty li'l girl. Good luck!!!!
They aren't super wispy and they are ALL over the plants, just the colas aren't thickening up on a few plants. My temps are 70-75, but I have been dealing with 80% RH.

Growdude said:
I would say buds fill in best the last month of the grow.

If your growing a sativa then you may have to wait up to 8 more weeks.

Got any pictures?
I have the last pics i took from about a week or so ago in my GJ in my sig link. I am going to try to take picd tonight as they have gotten a bit better.

Boy, it sure SUCKS not knowing your genetics huh?

Shockeclipse said:
They aren't super wispy and they are ALL over the plants, just the colas aren't thickening up on a few plants. My temps are 70-75, but I have been dealing with 80% RH.

Glad they're not super wispy...i had 1 monster plant that did similar things...it was roughly 4ft wide, 6 ft tall, and i had topped and fimmed the crap out of it....i vegged for like 3 months hehehe just to see what would happen. Anyway, cutting down the light had worked well for me as the chemical in the plants that produces flowering is made during darkness, and if the light chemicals that it produces are more than the dark, it'll try to re-veg

greenthumberish said:
If yer buds are still super whispy, and not densing up - cut your light hours down to 10/14 and see if that helps - helped me on more than 1 occasion.

I'm sorry Greenthumberish, but everything I've read says different. Here's a quote from Rc Clarke's MJ Botany:

Factors Influencing THC Production
Many factors influence the production of THC. In
general, the older a plant, the greater its potential to pro-
duce THC. This is true, however, only if the plant remains
healthy and vigorous, THC production requires the proper
quantity and quality of light. It seems that none of the bio-
synthetic processes operate efficiently when low light con-
ditions prevent proper photosynthesis. Research has shown
(Valle et al. 1978) that twice as much THC is produced
under a 12-hour photoperiod than under a 10-hour photo-
period. Warm temperatures are known to promote meta-
bolic activity and the production of THC. Heat also pro-
motes resin secretion, possibly in response to the threat of
floral desiccation by the hot sun, Resin collects in the
heads of glandular trichomes and does not directly seal the
pores of the calyx to prevent desiccation. Resin heads may
serve to break up the rays of the sun so that fewer of them
strike the leaf surface and raise the temperature.

IMHO Shock- you should keep your lights at 12/12. The buds will begin to fatten up during the last 3 - 4 weeks all by themselves.
Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back