germination times

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushybill

Reaction score
i have 5 northernberry seeds that germinated in 48 hrs, i planted them in rockwool on the 29th watered with ph 6 water and are sitting in the dark temp is 72-82 degrees. no sign of sprouts i see that some folks say to put in dark untill they sprout and others say place under lights am i doing this right?:(

please disregard my last post , they are all dead now!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang bill.. sorry to hear that :(
.mmmm 'rockwool'.. I'm NOT a fan..

i dont like rockwool either, to much of a pain! try peat pellets next time bud. they are simple to use. ive got a diy i will put together for you today if nothing comes up... stay tuned!

thanks for the post trillions of atoms, that helps alot, my problem is not germinating seeds, i got 5 out of 5 to germinate with the paper towel method, my original question still stands, do i turn the light on after they go into the rockwool or whatever medium ,or wait till i see them sprout thru the soil?

update -- looks like i should have turned my light on to get the seeds to break thru the soil--- who knew?

for those that start in rockwool......don't forget to pre soak your rockwool in PH ADJUSTED water. rockwool has a high PH right out of the package.

just drop your beans in a cup of water. wait for taproot 36-48 hours, and then carefully place in small 2" or so cube that was pre soaked/ph adjusted. gently poke it about a 1/4" into hole and lightly tap rockwool over top. place in tray under light and it should sprout within a few days.

i like to add hydroton around my rockwool cube in the container so i can let my roots grow out of cube without being exposed to light. I'm to lazy/busy to check frequently. then i transfer cube to DWC.

really simple stuff.

I have some germed seeds that i started about a week ago. I used the shot glass with water technique on one of the seeds just to experiment, the seeds popped very well then i transfered the seed to a paper towel where the growth rate increased. I popped the 9 seeds into the shot glass untill i saw mm long white tail then transfered into a paper towel, yesterday i set them up in a propagation tray with the mini cylinder shaped rockwools. I soaked the rockwool in a ph balanced water of 5.5 (give or take) last night. The first seed that was germed are growing quite well, i got 2 lil leaf buddies that just sprouted, the other seeds grew at a faster rate in the rockwool after i set them in, after one night the half of the 9 seeds are already about to shed their shell and the other half have a healthy looking root growth. The prop tray was about only 8 US and the rockwool cylinder ran about 9 US. If u want to use it make sure u soak the rockwool in a ph balnced water for about 40 minutes then stick the seeds in there. I currently have a flouro light about 12 inches from the top of the rockwool.

Latest posts

Back