GH 3 Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grotime

Reaction score
I just switched to the gh3 with floralicious plus, and liquid koolbloom.
It has a moldy, bad smell in the res. Is this normal? I never had a
smell like this with the flora nova series. Is it the nutes, or an issue
with my res?
thanks,

grotime said:
with my res?
thanks,
How often do you change your rez and what other nutes did you use in it before

I have always used the GH3 series. A while back I switched to the Lucas formula. I have never had a bad or moldy smell with either the 3 part formula or the 2 part Lucas formula. I have never used floralicious plus or koolbloom, but have recently started adding Advanced Nutrients Bud Blood, Big Bud, and Carbo Load in flowering with no problems.

What are your rez temps? Could you have root rot? It smells kind of nasty.

I changed the res three days ago. This is the 1st time that this res has been used in over a year, and was cleaned out with bleach prior to use. all nutes were listed, the gh 3 part, liquid koolbloom and florilicious plus. Res is at 65 degrees, temp in room 78, humidity 43. It is a 20 gal res. It smells like I left clothes in the washer for a few days without
putting them in the dryer.

I personally have a hydro setup and I use the 3GH nutes, along with the Bionicare Sweet Citrus and ViaGrow. The most important part is def your ppm wand. The wand will tell you everything you need to know, if you have a good wand. I use the Bluelab wands. As far as the rez, I change the solution about every 7 to 10 days. And I just top it off with RO water.

I, also, have never experienced any mold or anything of that sort.

more specifics.

I have a veg room that I use a drip system. I use 3x3 rockwool
cubes. I moved into the vedge room 3 days ago. I have a 20
gal res, and use an ebb and flow in the flower room. I have an
air stone in the res, and temps are all ideal.

What are signs of root rot? My plants all look great.

My ph is always at 5.7-6.2. The ppm is currently at 1350.
I just switched to transition strength, as I moved to flower this
past weekend.

I never noticed the problem until I moved from the vedge room to
the flower room.

grotime said:
with my res?
thanks,

I use the Lucas formula and floralicious plus, but I dont use the koolbloom due to my grows being regenerations. I've gone 14 months without changing the res at all, with no problem. I would suspect it's the koolbloom. the other stuff I use is just fine.:hubba:

Puffin Afatty said:
I use the Lucas formula and floralicious plus, but I dont use the koolbloom due to my grows being regenerations. I've gone 14 months without changing the res at all, with no problem. I would suspect it's the koolbloom. the other stuff I use is just fine.:hubba:

WOW! 14 months without changing the res? How do you do this? What kind of system are you running? I'm intrigued.

grotime said:
I changed the res three days ago. This is the 1st time that this res has been used in over a year, and was cleaned out with bleach prior to use. all nutes were listed, the gh 3 part, liquid koolbloom and florilicious plus. Res is at 65 degrees, temp in room 78, humidity 43. It is a 20 gal res. It smells like I left clothes in the washer for a few days without
putting them in the dryer.

Root rot is generally caused by too high temps and too little aeration of the water. Your res temps are good. Check your aeration, the water should almost look like it's boiling--water with too little aeration develops that mildewy, standing water smell.

Another thought. You might just try using just the GH3 part nutes, without the additives, nex res change and see if the smell persists.

I moved the thread to a new one called "res smells". I thank
that this is more appropriate since I know that it is my res, and
not the nutes that I put in them.
Thanks,

Latest posts

Back