Green Light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So'k...

Here's a Hershey tid bit

http://madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-04/954889693.Bt.r.html

And a couple fellas named Salisbury and Ross

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1008985836.Bt.r.html

Both should be read...I've saved them for future reference me self. It brought to light a couple things for me. And altered what I thought to be accurate information.

No where in either article is information relating to an actual light being used. Just a test tube of goo and a spectrophotometer. Which, comes in two varities...uv/visible and infrared.

We already know our plants utilize infrared wavelengths to regulate stem growth and flowering response. Recall I previously noted that what MJ is likely reacting to from a green colored bulb is the infrared wavelength hitting the plant.

Now thanks to Salisbury and Ross, they show proof of a 2-3% absorbtion of green light into/by chlorophyll. They further hypothesized that the celluar structure of a plant's leaf may naturally be boosting the likelihood due to the wavelength having the chance to bounce around within the cell wall and cause a reaction by either chlorophyll or other pigments.

Physics of wavelengths tells us that at every corner turned, a wavelength's intensity begins to dimenish down to nothing.

So...I'm going to conclude that while MJ does in fact make use of green wavelengths, a plant is still most likely going goofy due to the infrared spectrum...which has got to be due more because of proximity.

Which explains why there are those that have had the occasional herm show up...while others who've by chance had it far enough away...and or not on long enough to trigger a reaction from the plant.

Thus, that would be, Mutt, why it continues to come up.

Verdict....same as before.

Side-note.....I'm okay having had had this green light discussion...each time I've posted about it I've learned something I didn't previously know.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2001/1008985836.Bt.r.html

Hey Will, I think both of those articles were written by Doctor Hershey and he referenced Salisbury and Ross for a portion of the information. I may be wrong, but Hershey's studies have been quoted by hundreds of science books, papers and articles. He's considered the ultimate authority on the subject among botanists.

In most of his papers, he quotes heavily using others parallel studies as evidence of repeatability. It's virtually impossible to discount what he says because of his use of other studies like this. Smart dude.

He's good reading.

BTW, I lived in Belmont, California once back in the early 70's. It was a nice little town then.

Should the comic book super hero, Green Lantern ever show up at your door....send him away.

yup, great read guys. now im wondering if this is why; in a massive electrical storm like we experienced here last month, that the plants may interpret the lightening as white light as it is pure energy. it did not harm my outside grows and there was continoeous light non stop for over 4.5 hours. 2 massive storm fronts collided over the lake here. not full light but flicking like flashbulbs going off in volleys lasting minutes. one after another. mainly sheet lightening but some fork as well hitting the lake and rolling. no outside hermies at all, and this is in clone grows as well as a few seed plants. your thoughts? gentlemen?

What about chem lights?

0114th.jpg

-GG

omg. this thread is giving me a headache . no one needs to go into an indoor growroom at night unless you work odd hours then if that was the case re adjust your timers on the next crop. and the only reason for anyone to go to an outdoor crop at night would be to water or fertilize or to harvest. so i would suggest people to let mother nature to take its course and to KISS. the word i was taught back when i was doing stupid things to marijuana just to see if i could sneak one over on mother nature.

heyo skunk, well can only run hydro during certain hours cause of heat, rcmp patrols and power consumption. and i have to pass thru 1 growroom to take a crap and theres wires and hoses and pots on the floor. so a little light is handy if 1 does not want to trip. not every1 has a home designed for a "just out of the way" grow room. take a pain killer my friend and let us that have problems discuss possible solutions. i like that chem idea, will look into it.

and my outdoor? have you ever been in the outback where the next light is 30 miles away, on a night when thar's no moonlight? theres trees and fallen logs and holes; not to mention deer and BEARS. i have been kicked by a deer once and that's enough. the reason im there? trust mother nature and her moods? and beasts? you gotta be kidding.

astra007 said:
heyo skunk, well can only run hydro during certain hours cause of heat, rcmp patrols and power consumption. and i have to pass thru 1 growroom to take a crap and there's wires and hoses and pots on the floor. so a little light is handy if 1 does not want to trip. not every1 has a home designed for a "just out of the way" grow room.

When you say "run the hydro" you mean just the lights on your grow or is there some reason you can't run your pumps at certain hours? Holy Crap man! I thought freakin Florida was bad. You have RCMP patrols lurking around where they might notice your inside grow? Jeeeeezzzzzzz! I think I would move. The power consumption is a *****. I pay 300 bucks a month for my electric. THAT gets old.

I used to have a house that had a bedroom in the middle of another bedroom and the living room. To leave the far bedroom, you either had to walk through a bedroom or go around the outside. I take it you have a bedroom then the grow room then the living room area maybe? Sounds like my old place man. I had one kerosene heater in the middle of the living room to heat the place. It got really cold there too.

Man, you're becoming a regular diplomat. You're scarin me.

i have to run my lights overnite cuz of heat... 10pm-10am... waking up early doesn't work... cuz i work... at nite sometimes i'm lazy... or need sleep... a'c goin in next spring for sure.

this area pulls its power from a grid; if ya run yer lights during certain daytime hours when businesses and households are pulling alot of electricity then 10 lights can be flagged. then the strada court has 2 phase power and that may blow a fuse. rcmp use heat seekers here on overhead flights by heliocopter. regular patrols over the area. power fer 10 lights runs 350.00 for 12/12. 24/7 hurts bigtime, thats why i have boards and unplug 3 lights.

astra007 said:
this area pulls its power from a grid; if ya run yer lights during certain daytime hours when businesses and households are pulling alot of electricity then 10 lights can be flagged. then the strada court has 2 phase power and that may blow a fuse. rcmp use heat seekers here on overhead flights by heliocopter. regular patrols over the area. power fer 10 lights runs 350.00 for 12/12. 24/7 hurts bigtime, thats why i have boards and unplug 3 lights.
I have no idea what you mean by "the strada court", but it sounds like a PITA to grow where you are. I've had my grow going for so long, I don't even think about it as far as the law is concerned. No one can enter my property. I have it fenced and gated. If they do get in, you have to be in the grow room to see or smell it. If they get that far, I have joints stashed all over the house; as they enter my grow room, I'll fire up a joint and wait to be handcuffed. That outta piss em off even more, huh? At my age, I don't give a rats ass what the law likes or not. I leave everyone alone and everyone leaves me alone. I like it that way. I have my little "estate" and I keep it like a palace garden. It's fun and relaxing to walk around my acre of over 100 Oak trees and thousands of plants and bushes. I learned a secret years ago; The more buses you have, the less lawn you have to mow. Hhahahahahah.

Good luck to you among all that mystery and danger. Like I said, if I had to put up with that crap, I'd move. They start it here and that's just what I'll do.

I'll go move in with MarP! He'd love that, wouldn't he? "Hey MarP, pass those pork n beans over here...." Hhahaahahahaha.

KADE said:
i have to run my lights overnite cuz of heat... 10pm-10am... waking up early doesn't work... cuz i work... at nite sometimes i'm lazy... or need sleep... a'c goin in next spring for sure.

Why 10-10 we run 6-6 most I know run 7-7 plenty of time to DO what needs to be done before sleep;)

im coming too stoney bud. put the crocs on a leash. i live in an out of town community developement with our own water, power, sewer, street lighting ect..... 120 homes on 75' x 120' rented lots. at 1 time we were outside the town by 5 kilometers but over 25 years they caught up and surrounded us. by strata, i mean we pay rental and get all the extras mentioned above plus garbage, street maintence, snow removal ect.....
there is only 1 entrance/exit and im a street captain therefore in the "know" of goings on. its almost perfect. all streets also dead end.

Latest posts

Back