Grounded outlets electrials question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high before and after

Reaction score
I have an surge protector with a 'Ground ok' indicator.

When I plug the surge protector in room A the 'ground ok' indicator does not come on, however if I plug the surge protector in room B the 'ground ok' indicator comes on, indicating that the outlet in room B is grounded.

Should I worry about plugging my 400 watt HPS in room A, whose outlet is not grounded? I use an surge protector in room A anyway.

What equipment should I buy?

Thanks.

I'm an absolute electricals novice, do you mean the breaker box or the ballast box? There's no breaker box just an outlet, and the circuit box in the hallway.

Our wiring is aluminum wiring.

I did run the 400 watt hps in that room during my previous grow, that was before I knew the outlet was not grounded.

hi umbra, I hope that is the case with our apartment, I just can't figure out why the ground ok indicator is not coming on in room A. I'll ask the landlord if all outlets are grounded.

outlet.jpg

Thanks, does seem to be okay.

Using aluminium for wiring? Is that permitted? Terribly cheap and nasty.

haha that's one of the reasons why we call this apartment 'the elephant'

but yeah, using aluminium doesn't seem right... should be copper.

copied and pasted from some site:

"Do you have aluminum wiring in your home?"

This is an issue that comes up from time to time in home inspections and, it can be a concern for home buyers.

Some home insurers will not insure a house with this type of wiring claiming it is a fire hazard.

It is estimated that there are over 450,000 homes in Canada that are wired with aluminum wiring. It was commonly used from 1965 to 1977. But is it really a problem?

According to most home inspectors I’ve talked to, the issue is not the wiring itself but rather, it is the connections that cause the problem. Wiring made of aluminum heats and cools causing it to expand and contract which in turn can cause connections to come loose. A live wire dangling in a wall is not a good idea!

Maybe there is a problem with the grounding connection on that outlet... Better be on the safe side and ask the landlady or landlord whats up.

Most area now do not allow you to ground to the water pipes. you run two(2) grounding bars in electric box. 1 for white wire and 1 for bare copper wire. Each grounding bar has a wire to a 6ft rod drove in the ground. More and more water lines are not galvinized steel or copper that run to the house from the main water supply(well or city), so you do not get propper grounding. Look at the wire in the box if they are to the same grounding bar, it could give a false reading

umbra...you need to rake those leaves up mang..:rofl:

:48:

Thanks guys! My dad might have a dmm, I'll borrow it from him and test out the grounding, I hope it comes out ok.

Latest posts

Back