Grow your plants upside DOWN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDUDE

Reaction score
I went ahead and did it... I bought the Topsy Turvys Tomato planter. It lets you grow your plants upside down. I am in the setup stage but I will record what I find. Taking a 600watt MH and laying on the floor while my ladies hang. Should be interesting and I assume I am doing nothing new to the growing culture. IN theory my ladies should be more potent and larger... at least I hope.

Anyone ever tried these out before?
Tosy Turvy is the name of the baskets

Certainly sounds intriguing...
How is it supposed to make em more potent?

I always thought the upside down tomato thing was just to accommodate the large fruit better, i.e. no need for stakes and baskets in the case of tomatos, so I'm interested to hear more about your theory of increasing MJs potency by being upside down, cause well, I don't see why it would...

Not to say this won't be interesting though...

Drats! I was hoping to be able to try that first!

But it will work very well. Dont think it will make them more potent. But they will be tougher, more durable, and grow quicker. Get that gravity working for you rather than against does some wondrous things. Should make your grow far easier.

i can see the logic in that i guess but would it encourage stretching?

I dont think so Newbud. Im thinking it will just put them in a natural relaxed state. Not stretch them.

Dont see tomato plants stretching. And thats a heavier fruit its producing.
They just seem more relaxed like I said. Will be solid throughout. Just taking the force away from pushing down on it is all.

get a nice big gentle spinning fan else they would prolly grow floppy like vines. the shoots on the bottoms of my plants already grow like that.

Now what would be nice is if ya had a tall room with light in the middle, with plants below AND above the lights, make the most of bulbs emitting light in all directions....

It's never gonna' work. First off it dose'nt work great for tomatos, and the principle behind it is that the weight of the fruit makes it hang down because tomato plants are actually vines. If they are not put in a cage or some sort of trellis they will wander all over the ground. MJ is a bush, the fruit (buds) grow towards the light source (ie sun). Putting a light on the floor is not gonna work,IMO. But I guess if nothing else it's worth the experiment.
Be very careful as far any water falling on the light, as I'm sure you know water and electricity, not a good combo. Also any naturaly falling leaves could easily cause a fire.
I will definitely be watching this thread for your results. Hopefully you can post some pics or create a grow jounal.Maybe we'll all learn something from your endeavors. Good luck.:)

Weed is a weed. It'll grow. Yeild and quality may suffer till you get it figured out, but I spent 5 years getting my deal down, and now I have the best weed in town. 300k pop. This is what peps tell me.

If you're in dirt the root will follow the light

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Im thinking it will just put them in a natural relaxed state.

There's nothing "natural" about growing pot (or tomatoes, for that matter) upside-down in a basket.

TheDude: Sounds like you are going to have moisture and leaves and whatnot dropping down on to the lamp. Make sure to post pics if you blow up a hot 600 watt lightbulb....

If you're in dirt the root will follow the light
...:confused2:.. I think you may have "phototropism" confused with "gravitropism."..or "geotropism"[/i]...
Gravitropism (sometimes called geotropism in older texts) is a key regulatory process in plants to insure that roots grow down and shoots grow up in developing seedlings. As the student should find, the orientation of seeds in the soil is not important because as the radicle and shoot emerge from the seed their growth is regulated through the action of hormones to cause each organ to grow in the proper direction.
hXXp://www.aspb.org/EDUCATION/lab_gravitro.cfm
roots respond to gravity, and will "always" grow down. Vegetative/green growth follows the light.."phototropism"..
hXXp://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/wow/experiments/plants/roots.html

well the theory behind the water and nutrients flowing down the plant makes it intersting enough, and mind all the warning above, but this should prove a good experiment. my guess is that the plant and buds will pack on water wait as a result like the tomatos, be big while on the plant and dry fluffy as hell (no wieght) but yeild will look more. as for quality im shure it will suffer from the water constantly running out the hanger across the plant down to the ground(washing away trichroms)

i think i might get a lazy eye jus cuz of this thread, always gunna have my eye on here wonder how this upside down things will work. i believe its crazy jus like switching onz arms and legs. wonder how that would work too?

you might want o use a plexiglss or glass sheild of some sort to cach accidental sipills and fallinf leaves i thaugh this thing my self just decided to stay with what i have for now

HippyInEngland said:
hXXp://www.hg-hydroponics.co.uk/volksgarden-121-p.asp

:peace:
..cheap enough too!!! ..:p

this is funny, my buddy just brought one of those topsy turvy planters to me. i kinda laughed when i saw it.
but really when has anything bought off "as seen on tv"
actually worked well( im not saying it wont). but yeah how about we both try ours out ill leave my light hanging see the affects (just cause its for outside and i cant put the sun underneath it and they claim it works this way)

Listen to Hick. I'm pretty much a newbie with MJ, but I've grown other shtuff for years. Geotropism (now called gravitropism because of Hick) will prevail just like 12/12 will prevail. The plant will simply sprout, then grow around the root ball and up. The roots will grow down after an initial re-orientation. Ever seen a tree growing upside down from a cliff? Un-un, and you never will because of gravitropism. As they say: fu-git-about-it, unless you've got more time and money than you can utilize wisely.

Latest posts

Back