Growing autos outdoors this season?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was my plan to Hippy! ;)

The longest day is the summer solstice correct? if so that is june 21 for me?

Just ordered some beans :). Lowlife AK47, some more short stuff Himalaya Blue Diesel and Buddha White Dwarf.

I think I'm going to grow in outdoor hempy buckets :hubba: and start as soon as the beans arrive. Is growing in buckets within the rules:confused:

In the UK the longest average daylight hours is mid July (16.5 - 17 hours)

So from roughly 18th of May I germ my Auto's.

2 weeks later, germ more, 2 weeks later, germ more etc.

This takes advantage of the waning light for different stages of growth on the later germed Auto's.

My last harvest of Auto's is around mid September (14 - 15 hours)

So I can get 4 - 5 harvests a year from outside Auto's.

The later in the year that I harvest the lower the yield, the high yeild outsiders are at the end of July so this is where I aim most plants to finish ;)

I am smoking the cured Auto's when the other outsiders are thinking of harvesting the big girls.

I grow big girls as well, the Auto's I grow give me something to smoke and keeps me occupied during the summer, so while my biggies are still in veg, I am looking after them and harvesting continual until they are ready.

:peace:

This is a grand idea and I've also considered autos outdoors.... I mean the stealth aspect is part of the breeders pitch but..... what about temps? Here we often experience 100+ days of 100F from June-August. I've read some posts that suggest a plant stops growing at temps over 85F.

OldHippieChick said:
This is a grand idea and I've also considered autos outdoors.... I mean the stealth aspect is part of the breeders pitch but..... what about temps? Here we often experience 100+ days of 100F from June-August. I've read some posts that suggest a plant stops growing at temps over 85F.

Yet another good question that needs answering, OHC :)

OldHippieChick said:

Before I got my cool tube I battled heat issues in my tent and the autos did well...I think if anything the only problem I had was from high humidity which caused one plant to get mold...all I can say is gve it a shot and we all will see exactly what problems if any high temps cause...that's what is going to be so cool about this outdoor auto grow..different locals will gve us plenty of different grow conditions...

legalize_freedom said:
That was my plan to Hippy! ;)

The longest day is the summer solstice correct? if so that is june 21 for me?

I found this cool info on-line...

We'll start our tour of the solstice in the north, with Anchorage, Alaska and head south in the U.S. and then move on to international cities. It's interesting to compare the difference in sunrise and sunset in various locales around the globe.

Anchorage, Alaska

On June 21, the sun rises in Anchorage at 4:20 a.m. and sets at 11:42 p.m. The earliest sunrise Anchorage experiences is at 4:20 a.m. but lasts from June 15 through June 23. The latest sunset also corresponds to the solstice sunset at 11:42 p.m. but lasts from June 21 through June 26.

Seattle, Washington

The solstice in Seattle experiences a sunrise at 5:11 a.m. and sunset at 9:10 p.m. The earliest sunrise of 5:10 a.m. lasts from June 13-18. The maximum sunset of 9:10 p.m. lasts from June 20 through July 2.

Portland, Oregon

Portland's solstice sunrise and sunset correspond precisely with its latest sunrise and sunset of 5:21 a.m. and 9:03 p.m. The maximums last from June 10-21 and June 21-July 2 respectively.

New York City, New York

The Big Apple sees the sun rise at 5:24 a.m. on June 21 and set at 8:30 p.m. Maximums are one minute off - 5:23 a.m. from June 12-17 and 8:31 from June 22-July 3.

Sacramento, California

On June 21, Sacramento's sunrise is at 5:42 a.m. and its sunset is at 8:33 p.m. The maximums are each one minute off of the solstice times. The earliest sunrise in Sacramento is 5:41 a.m. which lasts from June 7-20 and the latest sunset is at 8:34 p.m. from June 25-July 1.

Los Angeles, California

What a difference 400 miles makes! When I was a boy growing up in Sacramento, I remember my grandmother calling from Los Angeles on the telephone late on summer nights. She'd be upset that I was still out playing even when it was dark. Explaining that the sun had still not set in Sacramento was an impossible proposition.
Nonetheless, on June 21 the sun rises in L.A. at 5:41 a.m. and sets at 8:07 p.m., which would've given me a full 26 extra minutes of sun-lit play time! L.A.'s earliest sunrise is the same as the solstice and lasts from June 4-21 but the sunset is one minute later, 8:08 p.m. from June 28-July 1.

Miami, Florida

Miami experiences sunrise at 6:30 a.m. on the 21st and sunset at 8:14 p.m. It's maximums are 6:28 a.m. from June 6-12 and 8:16 p.m. from June 30-July 5.

Honolulu, Hawaii

Much closer to the equator and the 12-hour daylight that places on the equator experience on June 20-21, Honolulu has a sunrise of 5:50 a.m. and sunset of 7:16 p.m. The earliest sunrise in Hawaii is 5:49 a.m. from May 28-June 18 and the latest sunset is 7:18 p.m. from June 29-July 10.

OHC I dont think they stop growing at those temps because here it is well over 90 the whole grow season sometimes into the 100's for weeks..and the plants seem to get huge...now at night it does get down to about 70's-90's... interesting question. I think sativas grow better in the heat than indicas..maybe it depends on the plant?

Hamster - You left out Bugtussle? Heck - you left out the whole of the interior of the country? You city slickers:farm:

I don't think growth stops at 85, but slows considerably. But that theory is also based on indoor growing information so it may be different with mother nature...I'm not sure. I know even here in the Great Lakes region we have days above 85 frequently, and it seems like my outdoor plants always seemed happy on those hot muggy days of high humidity.

I think 2dog has a point there also, alot of the sativa's grow around the equator where the temp easily gets over 100*.

I really think those stats of high of 85, and low of 55 are more for "optimal indoor conditions" but I'm not sure....But I mean it's been growing outdoors a heck of alot longer than indoors.

Thanks HL for the solstice info...so in reality my longest day could be a few days earlier than what I thought...or at least only off by a minute so I'll shoot for germing to begin in the middle/end of april.

Art I was thinking of using 5 gallon buckets, just for the simple fact of being able to move them to wherever the sun is shining. I don't think we really are haveing rules are we? I mean it's more of a learning experiment than a competition right?

This could turn into a very useful thread for a lot of people :)

Yeah no real rules...just trying to see how autos do outdoors in various conditions...this shld provide some really good info for everyone...

HippyInEngland said:
This could turn into a very useful thread for a lot of people :)

That's what I am hoping for...there seems to be very little info on growing autos outdoors so I figured why don't we as a community answer some of those questions...shld be a lot of fun as well....

I'm seeing a definite advantage to the members farther north, both in longer daylight hrs and in milder temps... still on the fence. Don't want to give up yeild with bought seeds and I can't see my seed breed seeds being properly ready till mid summer. I'm definitely interested in the results though.

OldHippieChick said:
Hamster - You left out Bugtussle? Heck - you left out the whole of the interior of the country? You city slickers:farm:

Here's a great daylight calculator for any part of the country:

hXXp://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=1081&month=7&year=2009&obj=sun&afl=-11&day=1

I will be in on this with a friend who wants to do a winter run of autos for seed and then plant outside. We have decided on RRF and Hindu Kush.

Being further north does not always mean milder temps. I am close to the 45th parallel, in the mountains, and we still get 100+ temps in the summer. However, it also gets quite cold in the winter--down to -10F or so. I do not feel safe planting anything outside until towards the end of May as we can get late freezes.

This should be fun with a bunch of us from different parts of the country trying autos outside.

OldHippieChick said:

Sorry interior of the country....I can only post that which I find....they had nothing listed for the interior....

This is going to be a killer thread, I promise. benny can feel it,lol. If any of you are lucky enough to have extra beans to try, here is an experiment I invite you to try with me. Say your best early start date is May 15. Start a few 10 days before that and a few 5 days early. So, some on the 5th, the 10th and most on the 15th. It could be interesting to see how far we can push the start and compare results. Of course, we are starting beans at all times after this. We can play the same thing on the other end, in late summer, risking the wet weather. At least these can be moved if needed, except for the ones in the ground.

4/20 looks like the perfect day to pop some beans for my piece of the globe.

Benny I was thinking of something very similar, only I was thinking more like 2 weeks apart, with maybe a total of 20 auto's but I haven't looked at prices for seed packs either...lol...maybe 10, but I'd really like to try a few different ones. Do they sell these by the singles, or 3 or 5 packs?

legalize_freedom said:
4/20 looks like the perfect day to pop some beans for my piece of the globe.

Benny I was thinking of something very similar, only I was thinking more like 2 weeks apart, with maybe a total of 20 auto's but I haven't looked at prices for seed packs either...lol...maybe 10, but I'd really like to try a few different ones. Do they sell these by the singles, or 3 or 5 packs?

Depends on where you order them...single seed centre has them by the single...attitude I think is a 5 pack of fem or a 10 pack of regular...I think dope seeds is the same 5/10...

Latest posts

Back