Growing w/ HabitualConcepts: A Stoner's Story

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 14:

Put plant in daylight again today. Seems to be responding really well. Noticed more pistils? coming out of the center. They're definitely becoming more prominent.

Watered with foliar, and watered the soil very well.

The freaking orginal little oval leaves are getting more yellow by the hour. Are these suppose to do this? The color of the the main two leaves protruding from the center are not quite where I want them, but with everything that has happened to the lil lady over the past few days who can blame her?

The a-hole that made my hydro kit package put in 2" net pots! What can I do with these?! I was so excited to get that package, but now I have to wait for the net pot bucket lid to come in. The agony! Oh well, in the mean time I'm cleaning and balancing my rockwool and hydroton. I still have to wait for the nutes to come in no matter what I guess.

I have come to the realization that I literally sit around all day and watch the grass grow. And you know what? I've never been happier.

Day 15:

Waiting on new net pots to come in mail.

It's weird, my plant looks like it is growing lopsided. One leaf is turned up toward the light while the other has more or less remained downward. The middle pistil things have progressed slightly overnight. About a 1mm growth. Astonishingly, after two weeks one of the other seeds has decided to sprout. Although I will say, the little thing looks puny and weak compared to how the other looked at first. It has also managed to locate itself along the side of the pot.

I'm leaving today to go to my buddy's graduation. I flooded the soil to give it plenty of moisture for the couple of days I will be gone. Who knows? Hopefully I'll come home to a whole new plant, and the net pots will be here waiting for me to get started.

Also, I've decided to raise the light up a bit. The yellowish oval leaves I had mentioned are either turning more green with yellow spots, or turning more yellow with the spots turning slightly brown. I think I've always had a slight color blind thing going on, and can't really tell which is which at this point.

I like all the details you have in your journal and how you have put it all out there, mistakes and all. It helps to make this journal a nice learning tool and a step to future success.

The only MG soil I hve found useful is the MG Seed Starter Mix.....I hve tried all the others and had problems with them. They can be used but with a different mind set.....not for me that's for sure.

Preciate it warfish. I figure even if nobody else reads it, I've learned a lot from going back and looking at it. I figure most noobs start trying the same way more or less. I'm actually in the process of switching my plants to DWC if I could get the freakin things in the mail already. Love the quotes by the way HL.

Day niner? I'll go with 19:

Came back from out of town after leaving plants for 3 days. The soil was dry of couse

My original sprout is going male in the worst kind of way I'm sure. The initial oval leaves are yellow thru and thru. The secondary leaves that have been developing are green w/ lots of yellow patches and some brown spots. Should I just clip the yellow leaves or let it grow? The pistils that have been protruding are looking healthyish. I'm going to try to be optimistic.

Luckily, the little guy that started in the corner is actually looking pretty healthy and about doubled in size while I was gone.

I had flooded the soil before I left to give it as much moisture as I could, and did the same as soon as I got back.

Light remained constant under the 23w CFL.

Temperature was approximately 70F, but my fans were turned off while I was gone.

I've figure out at least that seeds really don't need much care, but just mositure and a little room to grow. Obvisouly germination is so much more efficient. It's taken more less 2 weeks after putting the seeds in soil to sprout, but I will say they did grow the couple inches thru the dirt before I saw them. As long as I have something to grow I'm happy.

My freaking nutrients haven't come in after about a week now. I'm gettin impatient, and really wan't to move the plant that's yellowing into the system to play with before the new sprout get's too big.

HabitualConcepts said:
My original sprout is going male in the worst kind of way I'm sure. The initial oval leaves are yellow thru and thru. The secondary leaves that have been developing are green w/ lots of yellow patches and some brown spots. Should I just clip the yellow leaves or let it grow? The pistils that have been protruding are looking healthyish.

There is no way to tell at this stage if its male.

The oval leaves always yellow and die.
The spotting and brown spots could be a PH problem, what is your PH?

Your sprout does not have pistils, not sure what your looking at.

Just leave your leaves alone, dont cut anything off.

Got any pics?

I agree with Growdude here. Your plant is too young to tell sex. You can start looking for preflowers at about 4-6 weeks. I also have not idea what you are mistaking for pistils, but it is far too young to be showing sex.

Post some pics of your plants. If they are yellowing with brown patches at this young, you could be ibn trouble. Are you feeding them?

You should be watering when plants are dry, this takes days, are you still watering multiple times a day?

I was just thinking that with all the stress it can't be good for the plant. I hear you have to really nurture them to keep them female.

Yeah, my horticulture terminology isn't too great. I'm calling the newly emerging leaves pistils.

Those little oval leaves look like they're getting ready to fall off any minute.

I'm going to check the pH here in a sec. I can't find my digital, but when I do I'll throw some pics up.

The watering I've been doing for the past 24 hrs has just been to help regenerate the yellowing plant from the drought that was caused while I was gone. Basically, I flooded it once when I got home last night about 8 and just poured about a quarter cup just close to the roots of the yellowing plant. Other than that I've been misting the leaves to try to give them moisture. They were extremely dry to the touch yesterday when I got back, but they seem to be recovering, or so I hope. Normally, I would just lightly water the soil once a day or when ever the first inch or so of soil drys out.

Day 20:

Temperature went down to 68F at night even though my lights are still being ran 24/7. It has been averaging 70F.

It was a nice day in about 70F so I took the plant outside with me while I worked on my truck at about 11. I came back in around 3 and put the plant back in the CFL.

The watering I've been doing for the past 24 hrs has just been to help regenerate the yellowing plant from the drought that was caused while I was gone. Basically, I flooded it once when I got home last night about 8 and just poured about a quarter cup just close to the roots of the yellowing plant. Other than that I've been misting the leaves to try to give them moisture. They were extremely dry to the touch yesterday when I got back, but they seem to be recovering, or so I hope. Normally, I would just lightly water the soil once a day or when ever the first inch or so of soil drys out.

The newly emerging plant still seems to be doing well. Hopefully, my nutes will be here tomorrow and I can finally put it in the DWC.

I'm going to check the pH here in a sec. I'll try to put it back on this post if I have time.

Day 21:

Nothing much changed. A little growth in both plants.

Temp still at 72F

Not watering today. Going to lay off water a bit

Day 22:

New little sprout came up today. The one that came up a few days ago is doing pretty well.

Got my nutes today. Going to get all that set up.

Still at 72F

Not watered yet. Seems to be doing fine if a seedling popped up.

Day 23:

Somehow I got side tracked yesterday, and decided to throw out my old aquarium and build a new one. I spent all yesterday and today pretty much working on it, so haven't had much time to start DWC. Luckily I had everything set ready to go, so I just mixed a gallon of distilled water w/ 1 mL each of FloraGro/Micro/Bloom. I only used a small amount of my mixed solution since my setup is small.

I pulled out the week old seedling and placed it in rockwool that I opened a slit in and closed back up with seedling inside. I put the rockwool in my 2" pot with hydroton.

The setup I'm using is a water bottle cut and inverted into itself to create a base for pot. I have a 60 gallon tank pump pushing air thru an airstone.

I figure since I'm just screwing around and this will probably die I'm going to keep it simple. KISS system works every time.

I was just thinking that with all the stress it can't be good for the plant. I hear you have to really nurture them to keep them female.

Just give them the best conditions you can.

Merry Christmas, here's to a GREEN New Year, my friend!

I know I know, I have to find my camera.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Roddy. I figure it's my first time I'm not going to worry what happens as long as I try my best. There's always more seeds, and I found a couple mature in some dank just the other day. We'll see.

Day 24:

Seems like the plant is responding well to the DWC it is in. It is becoming a little bit more erect, since I put it in rockwool.

I'm not sure when to change the water. Any ideas? It's only probably about 6 oz in the bottle now.

The other little sprout is looking good. The oldest plant is looking steadily bad. I'm pretty sure the roots are cramped. Need to make a bottle for it. I'll see how the first one goes.

Day 25:

The DWC is looking better and better. Leaves look broader. I'm going to put together another bottle asap.

Still using the cfl. Half of the light is shining on the original potted plant. Two plants in pot seem to be maintaining. Temperature has been between 68 and 71F.

As a side note. Putting together a fish tank not only puts any suspicions of messing with plants and chemicals to rest by parents or others, but the base doubles as a perfect grow spot. The walls are black, but really reflective. Now if I can get them to stop asking why my room smells like a skunk? Right now I'm just saying Thai food.

HabitualConcepts said:
I know I know, I have to find my camera.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too Roddy. I figure it's my first time I'm not going to worry what happens as long as I try my best. There's always more seeds, and I found a couple mature in some dank just the other day. We'll see.

Bagseed usually grows hermies, be careful if growing them out!!

Latest posts

Back