Hanging Fluores

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3rdbase said:
but serious where i live one 1000 is like 150 extra dollars a month

.28 cents a Killowatt hour @ 18 hours:eek: I dont think so.

figure all the things that run in your house.in a month id love to see someone who pays less than a 100 a month.....ive has several light setups even with nothing running but the lights for a month 4 600s is like 400 bucks...add 1600 more watts for 4 1000s.....post a pic of ur bill without ur address just the amount...........some people are doin 4 5 or 6 1000s..... i want to see what there payin

3rdbase said:
figure all the things that run in your house.in a month id love to see someone who pays less than a 100 a month.....ive has several light setups even with nothing running but the lights for a month 4 600s is like 400 bucks...add 1600 more watts for 4 1000s.....post a pic of ur bill without ur address just the amount...........some people are doin 4 5 or 6 1000s..... i want to see what there payin

Are you saying 1, 1000 watt light costs $150.00 to run but 4, 600 watters is $400?

If you want to know what it really cost to run your lights just multiply the Killowatt hours by the rate you pay.

ex. a 1000 watt light run 18 hrs a day @ .07 cents per killowatt hour is
18 killowatt hours per day x 30 x .07 = $37.80 per month.

dude in cali they have a tiered system with pge......so the more you use the more youll pay per kw....3rd tiere 33cents ....no 4 1000s would put you easy in that tiere so you can do the math....4 or 6 600s...about the same..:eek: thats why i said what i said where do you live and how much do you pay....cuz im looking at my bill right now...ive had a 3200 watt system 12/12 so 1600 watts 24/7 ....and a 3000 watt digi system...its not 35 bucks per thousand i want what ur smokin....:hairpull:

3rdbase said:
someone is stealing power from you....prolly to grow their pot:p

3rdbase so far you r posts( all over forum) have been absolutely ridiculous you ask a question people answer and its not the answer you want so you rip them.you ask the same question about lighting in 5 diffrent threads and then jump over to someone elses thread and answer there lighting question with some crazy answer that makes no sense.hemp goddess is right in about 99.9 percent of her posts so instead of jumping down her throat why not apply that advice to see if it works. also you criticize other very knowelegble members on here that have been growing since you where a twinkle in your dads eyes.if you dont like the correct advice given to you dont ask questions. it does cost 35 bucks to run a 1000 at the rate he applied do the math its really simple. 33 cents kw i may be wrong here but there is no way thats what you pay.

avg price per kwh in cali is between 10-11.5 kwh, here in the northeast we get pounded avg 12-17 cents kwh

dude just because i ask about lights doesnt mean i dont have very good knowledge of them....to ur point i never attacked anyone bonehead,,,ur instigating ....point 2 ican jump on ant forum topic you dont own this site bonehead...point 3 im in my 40s and been growing for over 20 years....point 4 dont you ever post on my thread again ...:rant:point 5 why would i say i pay x amount for pge and lie...your the one that makes no sense....by the way ive might of just joined this site but to tell you the truth with ur false accusations makes you look really childish grow up sir....no need to respond to my post because ur a bonehead.

ex. a 1000 watt light run 18 hrs a day @ .07 cents per killowatt hour is
18 killowatt hours per day x 30 x .07 = $37.80 per month

ok so how is this not around 35 a month please enlighten me on your math. im justa bonehead trying to understand basic math can you help me please

dude for the lassssssst time....just look up pge rates ...man ur dense :confused: i fear someone like you should ease up a bit on the mj..:argue: 7 cents a kw..lmao try 33 cents or 40...i dont know where u live man but it must be in the clouds:48:

3rdbase is right. Here is a little chunk of my bill:

Charges
09/05/2009 - 09/30/2009
Electric Charges $221.83
Baseline Quantity 215.80000 Kwh
Baseline Usage 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.11531
101-130% of Baseline 64.74000 Kwh @ $0.13109
131-200% of Baseline 151.06000 Kwh @ $0.25974
201-300% of Baseline 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.37866
Over 300% of Baseline 153.08485 Kwh @ $0.44098

im glad im not the only one. i see the rates but he was saying that growdude was off with his numbers or at least thats the way i'm reading it.so how many kwh can you use before you start to see hike 1 then the second one and so on.wow if your paying out .44 kwh your getting porked big time in cali

How you mounted the fluoros has nothing to do with them dying on you.
I have eight 4' fluoros mounted vertically on the walls of my cab with the magnetic ballasts at the bottom. They have been running for months like this without one problem. Is there adequate airflow for cooling in your setup?
Did you allow for a space behind the fixture for cooling air circulation? Are you using the correct wattage bulbs for the ballast rating? How old are the ballasts? The bulbs? Wiring? Check it all. Especially the ballast's rating for bulb type and wattage. If you try and burn a 25 watter in a ballast made for a 40 it will slowly kill the ballast from overcurrent draw. Same goes the other way around. Hard starts if it's cold, higher wattage bulbs than specified as well. With vertical mounts you have to be extra careful with the pins touching the fixture when installing and replacing.

Kcar said:
3rdbase is right. Here is a little chunk of my bill:

Charges
09/05/2009 - 09/30/2009
Electric Charges $221.83
Baseline Quantity 215.80000 Kwh
Baseline Usage 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.11531
101-130% of Baseline 64.74000 Kwh @ $0.13109
131-200% of Baseline 151.06000 Kwh @ $0.25974
201-300% of Baseline 215.80000 Kwh @ $0.37866
Over 300% of Baseline 153.08485 Kwh @ $0.44098
my point is valid so u fo:ignore:

3rdbase said:
point 2 ican jump on ant forum topic you dont own this site bonehead...point 3 im in my 40s and been growing for over 20 years.... point 4 dont you ever post on my thread again ....

point 2 and point 4 seem to contradict yourself.... if you can jump on any thread, so can he or anyone else for that matter.... as you said, you don't own the boards....

and on point 3, ACT LIKE IT!

I wonder if the fluorescent bulbs are meant to be hung on their
pins, keeping them in contact with the contacts. putting them on their
ends could make the light end (Top) not make good contact. Beats me.
Probably depends on the fixture and the type and quality of the end caps.

My T5s are hung vertical with no issues. Funny thing is if they arent supposed to be hung this way why do they sell the optional vertical hanging brackets?

Kcar said:
I wonder if the fluorescent bulbs are meant to be hung on their
pins, keeping them in contact with the contacts. putting them on their
ends could make the light end (Top) not make good contact. Beats me.
Probably depends on the fixture and the type and quality of the end caps.

I'm sure that originally they were designed and meant to hang horizontally.
BUT, we MJ growers are a curious and resourseful bunch! :D

I have no problems with my four tube, double ballast fixtures hanging upright on the walls. They are spring loaded for good contact whether they are twist in or snap in.
The pin sockets can also be adjusted by sliding them closer to the tube for contact on most.

Yeah, my T5 is the same, but they have the new style twist locks.
I was thinkin of the old style t12's They might not do so well on end.

1. I just need lights for indoor germination/veging (not flowering-will do outdoors in spring) For say 10 -20 plants.
2. WHICH lights? compact? regular long tubes? high output fluorescent? OTTlites? Brand (eg Sonagro?) Wattage?
3. Yes I have read and read and read. On this forum and others. Everywhere. Mindboggling. Just need straight simple answer for small indoor grow seed through veggie.
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back