hanna combo meter storage solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchashow

Reaction score
hey i just got my hanna combo meter in the mail and it said that i needed storage and calibration solution. im know i need the calibration solution but do i really need the storage solution or can i just dry it off and put the cap back on it?

Regardless you will need to pick up the calibration fluid to calibrate your meter. You'll need 7.01 and either 4.01 or 10.01. My meter read the 7.01 as nearly eight when I first got it so it definitely needed calibrated.

i just ordered some calibration solution but i only got the 4.01. i figured calibrating in one solution would be enough. do i need both? and i already ordered the damn storage solution.

i just went and picked up one of those myself from a hydro store. they showed me how to use it and calibrate it. i was told to put some of the 1413 solution in cap to store it because of the electorde in it.

I have a hanna H1991404 and i just calibrated and tested some different things for the first time and i think that i came up with some interesting results. I tested my tap water, tap water that's been left out for a few days and then my RO water.

Tap - ph: 6.5, EC: 404, ppm: 205
Left out Tap - ph: 7.3, EC: 430, ppm: 217
RO - ph: 6.8, EC: 80, ppm: 40

What i thought was interesting is how EVERYTHING went up in the tap that was left out for a few days from the straight out the tap water. Is this normal...or a little bit odd? I'm new to all this testing and meters stuff.

Sorry for the light hi-jack.

solarz

no need to apologize. it sounds like something is wrong. when i tested my meter in tap it read ppm to be around 215 not bad and the aired out tap read to be 98. maybe u should try again. did u read the directions?

Yes, i read the directions to calibrate the EC as well as the ph...the only misunderstanding i had was when calibrating the EC if i was supposed to use both probes, or just the EC probe?? I used both, because earlier in the directions it stated that when taking measurements to always use both probes. Well, i'll try again and post up my results just as soon as i'm finished tweeking my veg chamber.

tchashow said:
i just ordered some calibration solution but i only got the 4.01. i figured calibrating in one solution would be enough. do i need both? and i already ordered the damn storage solution.

I would suggest picking up some 7.0 as well. That way you calibrate in a ph close to what you're going to be working with.

My tester has 2 little screws meant for adjusting to 7.0 and 4.0. If you do just one, you take the chance of it being off as it gets further from the number you tested. If I was just going to use one fluid I would (and do) use just the 7.0.

thanx tent farmer. i ordered the other calibrating solution today and im taking growdudes advice and im going to store it in the calibrating solution. i know its not that expensive but ive already shelled out about 15 hundred dollars 4 my setup. i will soon be starting my first grow.

tchashow said:
thanx tent farmer. i ordered the other calibrating solution today and im taking growdudes advice and im going to store it in the calibrating solution. i know its not that expensive but ive already shelled out about 15 hundred dollars 4 my setup. i will soon be starting my first grow.

I know this feeling. If it is going to be done, it ought to be done right.

Good luck and green mojo to you.

Growdude said:
Store it using the 7.01 calibration solution.

I've heard from a very well known and accomplished grower with the s/n Earl (don't know if he's a member here but he's on most pot growing forums and is like an internet Ed Rosenthal, especially in the hydro dept.) that you should store it in 4.01 solution as it has more electrolytes which is good for the pH probe. I've also heard you can use water with epsom salt mixed in to store it... Just don't store it dry, you'll be needing a new probe in a few months. As far as calibration solution, if you're doing hydro, get 7.01 and 4.01 solution b/c you don't ever want your pH over 6.5 so there's no reason to calibrate it higher than 7. You can use just one solution to calibrate it but it won't be as accurate as using two.

thanx everybody. i think im going to store it in the 4.01, i guess. i just got that in the mail. when the tds meter came i just put a little water in the cap so make sure it wasnt dry.

Latest posts

Back