Heat damage on seeds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strawberry Cough

Reaction score
I split up my seed collection for security reasons. I found today the 2nd half in a jacket pocket stored in black film canister (sealed) in the closet next to my grow closet with hot, hot, HOT MH light. Probably the temp. in the jacket closet has been 80+ DEGREES FAHREINHEIT / 30+ DEGREES CELSIUS for last 2 months.

Should I worry about damage to the seeds? I moved them to cooler, darker place once I found them - but has damage been done?

Well, with the 1st half of seeds I am discovering it is not optimum to germinate seeds in August because of the heat. They not only take longer to germinate (5-7 days vs. 2-4 in cooler conditions), but the seedlings are having trouble growing, very small, and look very shriveled. I reckon they are struggling to create their root system in the incredible heat.

I will have to wait until September before I try germinating the potentially heat-damaged seeds to see if they are ok.

mine always go in a back room with no air that is in the 80's to germinate...when I try in cooler rooms it takes forever...they just have to be in a moist paper towel..very moist. I have had the paper dry and the seed still worked out fine. takes me about 7-10 days but I grow the seed out about 1-2 inches before planting. it has been in the 100's here so my house is never cooler than 77.

I have no problem germinating in direct sunlight in Spring or Fall, but Summertime seems that direct sunlight is just too hot 90-100+ F. The seedlings that do make it out have trouble staying alive because of lack of good root system (I reckon).

I am just worried about those seeds that spent the nights in hot temperatures. I hope they survive. Since the MJ plant is so tough, I am hopeful the seeds are too.

Strawberry Cough said:
I have no problem germinating in direct sunlight in Spring or Fall, but Summertime seems that direct sunlight is just too hot 90-100+ F. The seedlings that do make it out have trouble staying alive because of lack of good root system (I reckon).

I am just worried about those seeds that spent the nights in hot temperatures. I hope they survive. Since the MJ plant is so tough, I am hopeful the seeds are too.

I never germinate in sunlight. Always in a dark warm area. Like a closet lol...exactly what you were worried about is where I put mine. then when I do plant them in dirt and put outside I fine a shady area for the first week or two. not full shade but the partial shade with glimpses of sun...that is what I did with this plant (northern lights) the clones in the back are also in full sun after a week in partial outside at first they do get shocked but come back strong... after a week outside it went into full sun with 103 degree days...dang the pics wont upload I will try later.

I decided to test these seeds out. After a few days of not seeing any pop, I dug up until I found one and inspected it has germinated. So I gently placed it back and repacked soil, and rewatered. I will wait a few more days for these 5 seeds, and I hope they all sprout.

So 80 Degrees F seemed to not damage at least one seed.!!!

Im with 2Dog on this one. Seeds will germ much faster in the higher temps. I always use a heating pad when I germ seeds or root clones.

Now for seeds being stored at a really high temp for a really long time is bad.

awesome strawberry...Mine always take a while but they werent super fresh seeds

I agree warmer temperatures help to expedite germination times, but only to an extent. In spring when temps are 80s, it is quick (for me). Now in August I notice what normally is 2-4 days is 5-7 days.

One popped the soil this morning, so I dug down to see the remaining 4 - out of total 5 seeds, 4 germinated, 1 was lost or has yet to germinate after many days. Not bad, 4/5 in heat of August. Maybe the one that didn't pop was just a dud.

Latest posts

Back