Heat Problems - Creative Minds Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disco94

Wannabe Ski-Bum...
Reaction score
As you know heat is an issue for us. I have just discovered how to get into what I though was an impossible crawlspace to get into. It leads to my attic which is huge.:eek: Looking to get something going up there in addition to my backroom grow of 9 plants. Problem is I am looking at 103 degrees up there. I grow organic soil and would think about getting TWO 1000w HPS's up there. I was going to wait until mid-November to get em going up there judging by average temps in my area according to Weather Channel. Still worried about heat up there so want something supplementing some more cold air. Any ideas on what to do? I live in the Southeast so it gets HOT here. Need a gaggle of creative ideas on how to minimize heat for one larger grow up in the attic in the winter months. Thanks guys... and gals!:D

I have the same problem....is there a roof vent in the attic that you can see?

what i did is took a BOX FAN with two pieces of thin metal on the side, three sheet metal screws in each side then screwed it to the wood to hang it. its gone from 100+ to 75-85

Check these links out, one is a gable vent fan and the other is a portable ac.hope this helps

attic gable fan

hxxp://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3/R-100014195/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

portable a/c

hxxp://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3/R-100664580/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

try what im doin, vent in and out where u can with dryer vents on the outside of the house my temp went down almost 10 deg

Heemhoff17 said:
I have the same problem....is there a roof vent in the attic that you can see?

what i did is took a BOX FAN with two pieces of thin metal on the side, three sheet metal screws in each side then screwed it to the wood to hang it. its gone from 100+ to 75-85

There is a vent. So I will be looking into that. Also thinking about adding those dryer vents to the sides as well.

frankcos said:
Check these links out, one is a gable vent fan and the other is a portable ac.hope this helps

attic gable fan

hxxp://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3/R-100014195/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

portable a/c

hxxp://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xh3/R-100664580/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Digging that portable AC thanks for the links buddy!

tattooedhygrow said:
try what im doin, vent in and out where u can with dryer vents on the outside of the house my temp went down almost 10 deg

This is also a good idea because I just seen a bit on FLIR cameras and how they bust people is by looking for a exshaust vent hole that showes up bigtime on FLIR

So heat coming from the dryer vent wont draw attention.

Growdude said:
This is also a good idea because I just seen a bit on FLIR cameras and how they bust people is by looking for a exshaust vent hole that showes up bigtime on FLIR

So heat coming from the dryer vent wont draw attention.

The town I live in can't afford IR cams. They cant even afford to properly train cops around here anyway. But that is a good thing to know for future grows.

Attics are tough places to grow... luckily the summer is almost over. Obviously you have to get air flow going through there. Invest in some badass exhaust fans that wont look out of place up on your roof. Then, I highly suggest going with a smaller light. Thou-ees produce an enormous amount of heat. I would suggest either 400 or 600 and run them closer to the plants. If funds are not an issue, have you thought of the water cooled lights? that could help you also. Smoke up Johnny!

yep, then the best way would be the box fan.... I mean you could do power roof vents that run about $104 from Lowes but if you have no roofing experience i wouldn't try to put this in...

Disco94 said:
Shoulda said. I am a broke college kid

You should be concentrating on school and NOT growing.

Disco94 said:
Shoulda said. I am a broke college kid

If you cannot afford adequate ventilation fans, then how in the world are you going to buy those 2 1000Ws that you are planning? There is no way that 2 4" dryer vents are going to cool 2 1000W lights. Regardless of the weather outside, you are going to need to be moving some air to cool the lights and you are going to need heaters during lights out. I cannot imagine that you could put a grow like this together for under $1000.

Pepper said:
You should be concentrating on school and NOT growing.

Have a job locked down after school. Have a 3.4 GPA. I know how to balance my lifestyle well.:cool:

The Hemp Goddess said:
If you cannot afford adequate ventilation fans, then how in the world are you going to buy those 2 1000Ws that you are planning? There is no way that 2 4" dryer vents are going to cool 2 1000W lights. Regardless of the weather outside, you are going to need to be moving some air to cool the lights and you are going to need heaters during lights out. I cannot imagine that you could put a grow like this together for under $1000.

I should have said. I have access to an extra 2 HPS lights from my roommate who used to grow. The 1 1000w I have in my 5x5 room now is perfect but we just realized how to get up there through crawlspaces. So lights, seeds, and soil is already bought from past grows. Just trying to get some ideas for cooling and get myself an idea of cost if I wanted to move out of my current room and up to the attic but it seems I should just stay where I am until LEDs' prices drop.

Latest posts

Back