Heating your solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Manny Bowles

high on my own supply
Reaction score
I'm a soil grower and I want to warm up my water/nutes a bit before I feed my girls. My normal process is putting 4 gallons of tapwater in 5-gallon buckets, after sitting for a day or two, my water will be around 62-65 degrees. I would like to get it up to around 70.
I was thinking of using an aquarium heater but am unsure of how fast it would be able to heat the water. Maybe one that's rated for say a 25 gallon fish tank would heat 4 gallons fairly quickly but I don't want to have to buy one to find out if I don't have to.

Anybody use these to heat up your solution at feeding time?

A glass aquarium heater can make your rez boil. really

When u use a glass aquarium heater:

water is pumped from reservoir to fill plants,
heater senses the evaporation of h2o on glass as a cooling affect
heater turn on to warm up water, but no water is in there
glass gets so sooSOOOO hot!
pump shuts off and water floods back in
Glass shatters and heater electrifies your reservoir.

Been there ...

You need a lizard heat blanket under your rez. ;)

I was gonna get a heater for my 60 gal rez, dad said he never did back in the day. So I did not for the winter. Was a bit timid, water from tap is some of the best in the country, perf 6.5ph, about 45 or so coming from the hose. Heats up to about 58. Plants get hit with the 58. Have not seen any adverse affects from it. But those aquarium ones from Petco would be perfect.

Ohh, lizard blanket huh. Is it kinda like a heating pad for seedlings?

dont use the aquarium heater, itll most likely just break. itll over heat and the glass will crack. also they can get really hot and cause fires. jsut not a good idea.

i know this from experiance having alot of fish and a few aquariums, not from growing. and i was using them properly not in the way you want to do it. the problem is the water levels change and if you miss it even for a few hours this can and most likely will happen.

the idea with the mat seems like a much better idea, we dont need any fires or broken equipment now.

Thanks for the responses, it sounds like you guys are all hydro tho. Will the Lizard blanket heat 5-gallon buckets of water in a day or so? Typically I have 4 of them evaporating at a time.
I will elaborate on my process some. I'm in soil and I usually fill four 5-gallon buckets at a time from my tap, each with 4 gallons of water. I let them sit for a day or two and when I'm ready to use them I mix my solution, ph it, and then feed my girls. What I would like to do is be able to warm the water up a bit before mixing my solution and ph'ing so that when I feed I'm closer to 70 degrees rather than the 62-65 degrees I using now. I figured the aquarium heaters might work as the water level in the buckets wouldn't be fluctuating any.
I will check out the Lizard blanket. Any other suggestions?

Do you see any stress at all? If not why change the routine?

Yeah, I've been having what I think is Mg deficiency the past couple grows. I've also been concentrating more on root zone health these days and have been doing lots of reading. One thing I've read is Mg can be locked out if the soil is too wet and cold or too acidic and cold. My ph seems to be on so I'm thinking maybe my solutions have been cooling the roots down too much.

if you're keepin them for couple of days in the room they're at room temp and after you heat em to 70 and feed it won't be long before they'll get back to room temps in the rootzone. why not heat your room a bit?

Good Evening, Doctor-

I trust all is well.

I'm curious why you think raising the temp by 5 or so degrees is going to make a difference. I too let my water sit for a few days in my grow room so that it gets to "room" temperature. What is the temp at your soil? Is it above 65 degrees?

Everything I've always read has said that the water should be "about" the same temp as the soil- give or take 5 degrees. Have you read something different? Maybe you need to raise your temp at soil level, rather than trying to warm it up with your water?

I too have been playing with root zone health- but I'm keeping the soil about 60 to 65 degrees. Something I experimented with on this grow was aerating the water before feeding it to my plants- but again, always at room temperature.

Always enjoy reading your posts- would like to know what has brought you to looking at this approach. Thanks.

zem said:
if you're keepin them for couple of days in the room they're at room temp and after you heat em to 70 and feed it won't be long before they'll get back to room temps in the rootzone. why not heat your room a bit?
Temps are between 70-80 in my room right now, I don't really want to mess with that if I can avoid it. What I'm trying to avoid is the shock of cold water they get when they are getting fed. Somehow water left alone in a 75 degree room doesn't always reach 75 degrees as I'm finding out.

@Alistair- good idea but I'm using around 16 gallons every 3-4 days on average and trying to keep everything consolidated to the back room as best I can. Hmm, maybe I could heat a gallon or two of distilled on the stove and add to my buckets little by little until I get the temp I want. That might work :hubba: Thanks for the mental kick-start eh.

Thanks for the ideas so far, please keep them coming

your ladies will love u for it and pay you back in kind. And i mean Kind.

All u do is warm the water by hand to what feels right. Done that for 13 yrs now never had a problem. Kinda like a baby's bottle. NEVER COLD WATER, of course ;)

and for around ~15.00/month I keep radiant oil heater on the lowest setting in my main grow area on for hrs a day each day and it keeps my room at a pleasant 65 degreesF with lights out and a warm 78 degreesF on.

Peace and Nugz

7greeneyes :D

BBFan said:
Good Evening, Doctor-

I trust all is well.

I'm curious why you think raising the temp by 5 or so degrees is going to make a difference. I too let my water sit for a few days in my grow room so that it gets to "room" temperature. What is the temp at your soil? Is it above 65 degrees?

Everything I've always read has said that the water should be "about" the same temp as the soil- give or take 5 degrees. Have you read something different? Maybe you need to raise your temp at soil level, rather than trying to warm it up with your water?

I too have been playing with root zone health- but I'm keeping the soil about 60 to 65 degrees. Something I experimented with on this grow was aerating the water before feeding it to my plants- but again, always at room temperature.

Always enjoy reading your posts- would like to know what has brought you to looking at this approach. Thanks.
Hey there BBFan, thank you for the reply. I have seen your grows and value your opinion greatly. The book I have been reading most is 'The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Growers Bible' by J.Cervantes. Some peeps don't like this book I know but I have gained alot of knowledge so far from it so I am trying to follow it somewhat closely. In chapter 11 'Water and Nutrients' he gets into deficiencys of different elements. The pictures and description he gives of a Magnesium deficiency describe my last few grows almost to a 't'. One of the things he mentions is that "most often, magnesium is in the soil, but is unavailable to the plant because the root environment is too wet and cold, or too acidic and cold. Magnesium is also bound in the soil if there is an excess of potassium, ammonia (nitrogen), and calcium (carbonate)." Later on he goes into this on treating the deficiency- "Control the room and root-zone tempuratures, humidity, ph and EC of the nutrient solution. Keep root zone and nutrient solution at 70 to 75F. Keep ambient air temperature at 75F day and 65F night"

So, my temps are right on, I'm in FFOF soil, using FF nutes at half strength and under, Liquid Karma, and occasionally Cal/Mag+. I don't think I'm overwatering. I have cut Grow Big almost completely out of my grows since this soil is so rich, so I can't see having an excess of nitogen like he suggests. Calcium could be a possibility since I'm using tapwater (160ppm), but I'm certainly no professional on botany and a plants needs so it's kinda hard to tell. This batch of girls is right on time with the deficiency at week 2 or so of flower and has had very little flowering nutes so I can't see Potassium overload being the problem either. I feed under 1000ppms total at a max feeding so I don't think they are overfed, at least to my untrained eye.
I have had one plant out of about 40 that didn't show any signs of what I am describing... and it was grown in a MassP coco bucket with almost zero ammendments to the coco, just Sub-Culture B+M. I was feeding it with FF also every other watering which was about every 3-4 days. Honestly, it was the healthiest looking plant I've ever grown, but yielded only 1 ounce and I've been getting 2+ off these 'deficient' plants in soil. My point with that was I was thinking since the coco aerates itself so fast, maybe the 70ish 'ambient' room-air being pulled into the bucket was heating the roots up just a bit to the point where the plant was absorbing Mg.. Crazy thought probably, but I'm kinda tired of chasing my tail on this :ignore: When I read about cold root zones, I firgured maybe that was my problem.
So, theres my story. Maybe heating the solution isnt my......solution (sorry). I'm going to be doing a few side by side comparisons with coco vs. soil and FF vs. General Organics with the next batch of clones, should be about a week or so until I start that, maybe I will find some answers in varying up my style a bit.
If I wasn't such a fiend, I could handle healthier plants that yielded a little less. But half...no :eek:

Thanks 7greeneyes, I might try heating up a little distilled and adding it to my colder water to get it to temp. If nothing else it will make me feel like I really did something and will be under $2...heh

Here's a couple pics of what I'm dealing with. Starts low on the plant, week 2-3 of flower is usually when it starts to show. These girls have had very little food up until this point, just 3 transplants in Ocean Forest. I hit them with Open Sesame, Liquid Karma and Cal/Mag+ a few days ago and haven't noticed it spreading but this problem seems to happen very slowly and then all of a sudden the bottom 1/3rd of the plant is fried.

enchiladas 002.JPG

enchiladas 004.JPG

hmmm...I grow in the same stuff...using the same feed, and have never had this problem...I do think that the ffof lacks in cal-mag, so I also add but usually only early in veg, and right when I switch to bloom...and I will add more here and there if I see a deficiency

It does look like a magnesium def to me also, or a copper def (which is rare) but if you are using big bloom you should be giving them the trace minerals that they need...so it has to be locked out somewhere

do you have anyway to check the temp of your soil? Like maybe a meat thermometer, that you could get into the roots with...I'm stumped, unless it is the colder temps. I think you are on the right track, I would try the heating pad method...good luck bud!

legalize_freedom said:
hmmm...I grow in the same stuff...using the same feed, and have never had this problem...I do think that the ffof lacks in cal-mag, so I also add but usually only early in veg, and right when I switch to bloom...and I will add more here and there if I see a deficiency

It does look like a magnesium def to me also, or a copper def (which is rare) but if you are using big bloom you should be giving them the trace minerals that they need...so it has to be locked out somewhere

do you have anyway to check the temp of your soil? Like maybe a meat thermometer, that you could get into the roots with...I'm stumped, unless it is the colder temps. I think you are on the right track, I would try the heating pad method...good luck bud!
I have a few meat themometers but I'm not sure if they will read that low..? My room is black right now so I will check in the morning. I set my temp gauge right next to the base of a flowering bucket earlier and it was at 69.8. Ambient temp was 72, I'm 98% sure night temps in there are above 65+ degrees as my exhaust fan kicks off and I have a solid heater.
I forgot to mention strains. This grow is 5 different strains all from seed. I had to take a vacation and wanted to rid my room of thrips, so I let my beloved Skunkberry go and started over. This time I've got Skunk #1, Skunkberry, Northernberry, Blueberry, and some (supposedly OGKush) bagseed, which is what the pics came from. Right now, the OGK(?) is the one showing the symtoms the worst. The BB was a problem to begin with on it's own, I'm praying for the Northernberry to come thru for me and hoping for a Skunkberry pheno that was half as awesome as the last one. I will include a pic of her in her glory days, wish I still had her...

2 047.JPG

Nice...I don't know if a meat thermometer will work or not either...and like I said I think you have to be on the right track, if your ph is right, and your using Big Bloom, and Cal-Mag...they should be able to take up the nutes...so the only thing left that could be locking them out would be cold temps, but I wouldn't think that 68 or 69 degrees would be too cold either...I'm STUMPED! I would definately try putting heating pads under them, or just heating your room somehow at night.

I'm fearing the same thing, I've had my flower room full of vegging plants (long story) so I've had my lights on 24 hrs, but I'm ready to put them on 12/12 as soon as I see roots on my clones...I'm scared to see what my temp is going to drop to in the dark cycle!

Good Luck Bud!

Hi Doc!

Please don't be offended, but I have to ask. You've probably already done it, but have you tried a foilar spray of epsom salts if you're sure it's a mag deficiency? I know you're in flower and personally I hate doing any foilar feeding once they start budding, but maybe if necessary.

It certainly sounds like you've got everything dialed in and your temps seem near perfect to me- particularly at the root level. I always keep a thermometer at the base of my plants and my "root zone" stays pretty much around 60 - 65 degrees.

Maybe just a kettle of boiling water and add small doses to your buckets until you hit the right temp- shouldn't take too much if they're 60's to start with.

I hope you figure it out- let us know! Sounds like an awesome variety of strains you got going. Is the blueberry going to make it?

Latest posts

Back