Heating your solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
legalize_freedom said:
Nice...I don't know if a meat thermometer will work or not either...and like I said I think you have to be on the right track, if your ph is right, and your using Big Bloom, and Cal-Mag...they should be able to take up the nutes...so the only thing left that could be locking them out would be cold temps, but I wouldn't think that 68 or 69 degrees would be too cold either...I'm STUMPED! I would definately try putting heating pads under them, or just heating your room somehow at night.

I'm fearing the same thing, I've had my flower room full of vegging plants (long story) so I've had my lights on 24 hrs, but I'm ready to put them on 12/12 as soon as I see roots on my clones...I'm scared to see what my temp is going to drop to in the dark cycle!

Good Luck Bud!
Thanks LF, I hope I can get it figured out. I have an in-wall cadet heater that heats my space, it seems to work pretty well but it's kinda hard to achieve just the right setting as its got an analog controller and a micro-movement can differ the temp by a few degrees.
I use a 18"x30" open/filtered entrance to my crawlspace under the house that I draw fresh air from and it stays open all the time. It's been getting down to -9 at night here and when the lights/blower kick on at 7am it's been around 70 every morning. I can hear the heater come on during the night a few times but it never runs for long.

So, is this your first cycle in a new growspace? What's your heating situation like? If you don't have anything, I would think once you flip to 12/12 you are probably gonna need at least a space heater, this time of year anyways. You probably know that but hey...:farm:

BBFan said:
Hi Doc!

Please don't be offended, but I have to ask. You've probably already done it, but have you tried a foilar spray of epsom salts if you're sure it's a mag deficiency? I know you're in flower and personally I hate doing any foilar feeding once they start budding, but maybe if necessary.

It certainly sounds like you've got everything dialed in and your temps seem near perfect to me- particularly at the root level. I always keep a thermometer at the base of my plants and my "root zone" stays pretty much around 60 - 65 degrees.

Maybe just a kettle of boiling water and add small doses to your buckets until you hit the right temp- shouldn't take too much if they're 60's to start with.

I hope you figure it out- let us know! Sounds like an awesome variety of strains you got going. Is the blueberry going to make it?

No offense taken BB :) I'm stoked you and the other responders have taken the time to help me, thank you. All suggestions are welcome!
I haven't use a foliar epsom spray yet, as this problem always shows up about the same time flowers do. I did add some epsom salt to my soil mix this time but maybe it wasn't enough. I used about an 1/8 of a measuring cup to 4 gallons of soil. I could try the foliar spray since the buds aren't too developed yet, maybe I could kinda spray around them. When is the best time to spray and how strong should I mix it? Thanks again for your help!

This is a pretty good mix of strains I've got this time, I've grown all but the 'OGK' bagseed before and honestly wouldn't have messed with it or the Blueberry but I only had a few seeds left and needed to make sure I got some females so I planted everything I had. It worked out exactly 50/50, go figure. This BB I've got is from PeakSeedsBC, a decent strain but I've definitely had lots of ups n downs with it. The one I've got going now is doing ok, but it's the most butt-ugly plant I've seen in a while! I would have cut it if I could have gotten one more female out of the other strains but hey, I'm not complainin'... It's pretty nute-sensitive as their website states, and all the phenos I've grown out (5 or 6) liked to hermie later on in flowering. And not a little banana here and there, I'm talking Chiquita farm big time. I won't be growing it again, and will have to keep a close eye on the one I've got now. On the other hand, all the other BB crosses I have were also from Peak and seem to be somewhat solid. I have seen a banana or two on the Skunkberry from time to time, but nothing like the BB. The Northernberry I only got 2 fems from 10 beans so this is only the 2nd one I've grown, the first one had zero bananas and was harvested at around 8 weeks. Hopefully I end up with a good pheno this time, I've got 17 new flavors on order so it better show me something or it might not make the 'cut' for next round :hubba:
Thanks again

Variety is the spice of life...so they say, sounds like your going to have plenty of spice!

Yes I upgraded my lighting since the last grow, so I built a bigger flower shop, and turned the old one into my veg area, and the old veg area now holds mother plants.

I don't know why I didn't think of foliar feeding last night...lol...good thinking BB! I wouldn't worry too much about it this early in bloom...I'd give it a shot. I did it about a month ago, cause I saw a mag def. right after I had already fed,(these were in veg) and didn't want to add more water to the soil until it dried out. So I made I think it was 1 tbls/gallon (I'm not sure on this you may want to reasearch it) It worked good! The internet is such a wonderful place...I wish it was around 20 yrs ago, when I was first starting...it would have saved hundreds of plants...lol. The combined intelligence of this place is remarkable!

Good Luck Bud! Let us know how it worked out!

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
I haven't use a foliar epsom spray yet, as this problem always shows up about the same time flowers do. I did add some epsom salt to my soil mix this time but maybe it wasn't enough. I used about an 1/8 of a measuring cup to 4 gallons of soil. I could try the foliar spray since the buds aren't too developed yet, maybe I could kinda spray around them. When is the best time to spray and how strong should I mix it? Thanks again for your help!

I would think that the epsom salts you added to your soil would have been enough. But at only 2 or so weeks of flower, maybe a quick foilar spray might do the trick.

Legalize Freedom is right- about 1 tablespoon to a gallon should do you fine.

I just harvested a batch of blueberry (actually from a cross I did with some outdoor plants from 2007). I've grown blueberry several times (hence BB Fan :p ) and it's always been a good producer for me. This last batch (only 2 plants- took a bunch of clones) was so nute sensitive- I couldn't keep her happy. Of the 2 I had some strange phenos show up- 1 plant was actually the most tichiest (is that a word?) I've ever grown. The other had barely any trichs at all (she's still in the dirt- can't decide what to do with her).

Maybe this round was just a bad pheno for you? Doesn't sound like you'll be lacking though- quantity, quality, or variety! ;)

Hope you get the issues resolved!

Thanks alot fellas, I will try the foliar spray tomorrow. I'm thinking at 'lights-off'? I'm going to try cutting back a bit on how much I water also, maybe that is contributing somehow. I water until I get a little runoff but not excessively and only about every 4 days. At that point the top 2-3 inches is bone dry and the container is 'light' so I figure it's ready, but maybe I'm overdoing it.
Yes, BBFan I do think I got a horrible pheno! Of the 10 seeds I grew out, almost every one was different and this one was the worst. No wait, I take that back... I popped 3 BB beans this time, 2 were males, and 1 of those males turned bright yellow within a week of sprouting. I somehow kept it alive for 5 weeks and it was just starting to get its color back when it showed male. It was a pretty satisfying kill I gotta admit.

Dr. Manny Bowles said:
It was a pretty satisfying kill I gotta admit.

:rofl: Now that's just funny right there.

I would do the foilar feeding at lights on, not lights off. Just my thoughts. I wouldn't want those pretty ladies hanging around wet all night!

LOL...picturing you (although I don't know what you look like) a mad man with a machete, hacking the boy to pieces...leaves flying everywhere...lol

Yeah definately want to do that first thing when the lights come on...don't need the moisture in there all night!

here's your quick and simple solution: use a cooking pot, and heat up, then use thermometer.

why not go to tsc & buy a bucket heater to keep drinking water from freezing. i use aquarium heater b/c my basement is lil under 60*. ive kept reef aquariums for years & never had problems w/ heaters malfunctioning unless user error. ie: plugging it in b4 letting it equalize in temp to water. just buy a quality fully submersable.

legalize_freedom said:
LOL...picturing you (although I don't know what you look like) a mad man with a machete, hacking the boy to pieces...leaves flying everywhere...lol

Yeah definately want to do that first thing when the lights come on...don't need the moisture in there all night!

It was actually something like that! :hubba:

docfishwrinkle said:
why not go to tsc & buy a bucket heater to keep drinking water from freezing. i use aquarium heater b/c my basement is lil under 60*. ive kept reef aquariums for years & never had problems w/ heaters malfunctioning unless user error. ie: plugging it in b4 letting it equalize in temp to water. just buy a quality fully submersable.

I saw some submersible 'paddle' types at the local pet store, but they were only rated for up to 10 gallons I think, so I was unsure of how long it would take to heat up a bucket. I would be heating around 4 buckets at a time so instead of buying 4 of them, wanted to find one that works fairly quickly. Maybe I will try adding some heated distilled for now, see if that helps. What's this 'tsc' you speak of DocFish?

Latest posts

Back