hello MP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefin

Reaction score
First post, thought id say high!

Still in planing stages of a 5x5 room, organic soil made right here at home with knowledge gained online. Mixed up my amendments and different composts and og soil mix plus some worm castings today and i have to say my drainage sucks. took a 3x3 and watered it down and she was slow to drain but did drain through in 10 mins or less. Im scared that its retaining too much water. I need to let it cycle in a bit i think maybe, let it dry, water again, let everything amendment wise mesh together and in a few weeks see how it acts and test the pH.

what yall think? any advice is appreciated.

i think that may work but i am also a indoor beginner and a outdoor vet so let me know how it turns out i do know this plants like it a little more on the dry side

I am thinking of ordering a few cu ft of perlite to loosen things up. Some perlite is in the mix but i read the bag today and its MG perlite and come to find out its "enriched" with MG plant food in very small ammounts. Im not to thrilled about this at all but i will deal with it... the next perlite purchase will have no enrichment, i want organic, i realize i may have blown that with the perlite ive already used but at this point there is nothing i can do about it, the investment was made, everything was composted down and its all mixed. I plan to add a good ammount of perlite as i load up each 3gal pot to improve my drainage. Im scared to death of root rot, shes holdind a ton of water IMO and its slower than snail sheet to drain.
What do you all think, is perlite my best route to go to improve my soils drainage while retaining its organic nutes the best i can? I hear sand is junk and will clog more pores in fine soil than it will improve drainage. I also considered some hydroton fine clay pellets but that seems to be an added expense i hope to avoid. can perlite do it? should i just relax and let the mix come together and see how my test 3x3 pot does?

Hick said:
perlite is perfect for what you're looking for..IMO

Perlite is organic... you're golden! All they do is mine it and then put it through a heat process to expand it. Get a big bag of the chunky agricultural perlite if you can find it... Chunky perlite at 4:1 or 5:1 works great to give you a very well draining soil.

Peace!:cool:

yep, welcome to MP, glad to have you.
Grow on!

dirtyolsouth said:
Perlite is organic... you're golden! All they do is mine it and then put it through a heat process to expand it.
Peace!:cool:

I have a feeling Miracle Gro perlite might not fall into the organic category once its been "enriched" with miracle gro plant food, was my worry. I am on the trail of some chunky non enriched as we speak though so hey, live and learn i guess. I appreciate all the help!

Is the MG nutrient time-released???

:joint:
Welcome to Marijuana Passion!!!
:joint:

Gb

Latest posts

Back