Help! Mould

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sage

Reaction score
I discovered mould on two differant sections of bud. One of the areas was fairly badly infected. The other wasn't really that bad, just the start of the infection. Do you think I should cut my losses and harvest now or hold out till its at its peak. My guess is I have another week left till she's fully ready. The main problem is its not that easy for me to monitor on a daily basis.

I have the plant in a polytunnel so its protected from the rain. It is getting cold and damp here(ireland) with a lot of dew at night. I think it could be the moisture in the settling on the buds at night when the temp drops that's causing the mould. Thanks

I would at least cut the infected buds off. If you knly have a week. I'd harvest it if your having huge moisture problems. but I'd wait for on of the experienced OD growers to chime in.

yes....any pieces that have mold....cut them off...make sure you get it all...mold spores will multiply quickly...harvest should be very close and its gonna have to come down soon

do you get frost there? that will turn your plant to mush very fast....given that shes maybe a week away you say.....if she were mine...i'd take her down ....i am sure shes gonna smoke just fine :) mold is a scary thing that can be all consumming VERY fast....best to take a harvest than lose it all

good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Alright guys I cut down the majority of the plant. I left some of the small buds and the stems where the mould had infected the buds(by the way i cut away the mouldy buds the second i saw them). I couldn't really afford to wait because I couldn't monitor the plant on a daily basis. Do you think the remaining buds will develop much more?

I'm little disapointed because the plant wasn't fully ready. I noticed the first couple of pistils on the 9th of august, 10 days later the majority of the plant was covered in them. The strain of the plant is hawaii x skunk which has a 56-60 day flowering period. The majority of the hairs were still yellow white. I'd say maybe 5% had turned red/black and whithered. On the other hand the leaves were very crystally and sticky with a serious smell off them. The plant is supposed to be a 15-20% thc. Basically what i'm asking is whether you guys think the smoke will get you stoned? I have smoked some off it and it got me nicely high,nothing too crazy but the buds were still damp. Should the buzz get a bit better if the weed is properly dried?

Its a bit heart breaking to fall at the last hurdle, but that said i'd sooner have a good harvest rather than see most of it rott away

sage said:
Alright guys I cut down the majority of the plant. I left some of the small buds and the stems where the mould had infected the buds(by the way i cut away the mouldy buds the second i saw them). I couldn't really afford to wait because I couldn't monitor the plant on a daily basis. Do you think the remaining buds will develop much more?

I'm little disapointed because the plant wasn't fully ready. I noticed the first couple of pistils on the 9th of august, 10 days later the majority of the plant was covered in them. The strain of the plant is hawaii x skunk which has a 56-60 day flowering period. The majority of the hairs were still yellow white. I'd say maybe 5% had turned red/black and whithered. On the other hand the leaves were very crystally and sticky with a serious smell off them. The plant is supposed to be a 15-20% thc. Basically what i'm asking is whether you guys think the smoke will get you stoned? I have smoked some off it and it got me nicely high,nothing too crazy but the buds were still damp. Should the buzz get a bit better if the weed is properly dried?

Its a bit heart breaking to fall at the last hurdle, but that said i'd sooner have a good harvest rather than see most of it rott away
Damn man that's a real bummer. A friend of ours had to chop down a monster early because of mold and bud rot. We figure he lost about 3 oz. You say the flowering period was 56-60 days how far are you along in flower? If you are not far off i would chop them down and not risk the chance of more mold or rot but that's me. I would look at it this way some weed is better than none. Yes the longer the bud cures the better the taste and smoke.

yea I cut it down yesterday. Just didn't want to risk losing a good chunk of it. The main decider for me was when I saw how mouldy the buds becide the infected area had gotten in one day.I cut a large section of bud off below the infection and put away to dry.When i came back the next day there was mould all over them.

The buds are fully formed with crystals all over the surrounding leaves(you should see the reflection at night with a torch). There is a very potent smell and very sticky to touch. To be honest they look fully formed its just that most of the hairs are still white/yellow. Anyway I cut down about 75% of the plant so theres no going back. I just hope the smoke is strong

Does anyone know if the the buds left on the plant will stiil grow?

they should as long as you cover during frost and have day temps around 70 degrees.

Hey Skunk, That iss a bummer. BeenThere. I have a few buds left out. They're all gnarly and purple. Been frosted about 4 times. Been cold since harvest. But they're cookin along. Should be some mean @#$%. I'm pickin em tonight. I'll let ya no. Peace

hello sage:
i harvested this year with the majority of my pistles yellow/white. great smoke! my trichomes were cloudy and some cloudy/amber. not sure if you checked or already mentioned if you did or not check trich's. great on hacking that 'baby' down. your smaller buds should still increase in size but i guess mother nature rules.
enjoy every hit
peace and happy blooming.
icon10.gif

Hey thanks for all the responses. Just have one more question, does the potency of your weed increase as it dries out. like if i smoke a bud thats three days old and then smoke the same weed three weeks later will i get more whacked from the stuff thats more dry?

Hey sage, Proper drying and curing will effect the potency of your weed. Did you read stickys? Mods can answer your Q in much greater detail than I can. Mould sucks!Good Luck

SOrry to hear about your problem there buddy but to answer your question.....YES... the more u dry your weed the better the TASTE and POTENCY but the catch is u cant just DRY IT ANY ONE WHICH WAY. U HAVE TO PROPERLY CURE IT AND DRY IT be4 it starts to get better. theres a couple of ctickies in the harvesting section that would greatly help u out.Just follow the instruction and ull be off to some good smoke (decent AT THE VERY LEAST):D

happy growing , good blazing , and hope u enjoy

hey guys im in the process exsperimenting with mold exspecially the white mold so far 5 days later been successful with no damage to leaves . waiting on a thicker coat of it to tell whether its gonna hurt it or not . so at this time im not revealing my exsperiment sorry i need to make sure it works before i can take a chance on messing someone elses grow up .:cool:

Latest posts

Back