Help needed..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganjaluvr82

Reaction score
Question...

I have a female plant going now.. really healthy. Couldn't ask for

a better looking plant. However, I am stuck between a rock and a hard

place ya dig?

My plant, 7 days ago today, showed me... that she is def. a girl. Every

morning since she showed her sex to me.... seems every morning there are

new stigma's (white hairs..some eventually turn reddish..this is what you want to watch.. to see when you need to start picking off buds.) Just a little FYI.

My question is.. well I have two.

But the first one is this--------->>>>> Since my girl has only had a good

solid weeks worth of flowering.. I want to clone her. This way I always

have bud growing ya dig? But, some of my good friends (experienced growers) told me... that since it's already into flowering... might as well
wait and take my clones from her... the last few days of flowering. This way, my crop is pretty much ready for me to start picking buds off of her so therefore I wont need to worry about stressing her.

One other question is.. once my girl has ripe buds.. and its ready to harvest. Is alright to just pick the buds from the nodes? Instead of chopping the plant down... and drying the whole damn thing. Couldn't I
just clip off the buds that are ripe.. and let them dry instead of trying to
dry the whole plant? You could do that right? But.. what happens to the spot where you clipped the bud off of?? Will it begin a new flower.. and eventually bud again on the same spot?

Or is this the reason people have to clone? Or.. is cloning just an option?

Please.. any help/advice/tips/comments good or bad... are welcomed in
advance.

Thanks everyone. :)

Just hope there are nice people around here.. I got yelled at. From the last place I posted this at... wasn't very cool. Anywhoossss.... thanks. :)

peace.

ganjaluvr82 said:
new stigma's (white hairs..some eventually turn reddish..this is what you want to watch.. to see when you need to start picking off buds.) Just a little FYI.

This is serious bad advice.

You say you have experienced advice.

You have so much to learn.

Welcome to the forum.

You really do need it.

:peace:

ganjaluvr82 said:
Just hope there are nice people around here.. I got yelled at. From the last place I posted this at... wasn't very cool. Anywhoossss.... thanks. :)

peace.

Go to the top of this page and read the "READ THIS BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS." Thread.

You can't miss it.

I don't know that much about cloning during flowering, but yes, you can pick individual ripe buds without chopping the whole plant all at once.

Yo...Chillit daddyo...

MVP representin', yo. Maybe this type 'o' stylin you got goin with the beatnik lingo don't float the boat of all us squares, dig? It's like molasses in my muckaluks, yo. A little less swagger and helping of humble pie will take you far around here. My guess it that you have a whacked sense of humor like me and no one knows what to make of it... toward the end of your post you came back down to earth but yo... Chillit. dig?

:holysheep:

Okay already... Welcome to MP! There are lots of resources here to read and learn and everything you need to know has usually been discussed at some point in the past so don't forget the 'search' function... Lots of growers here are willing to help but make sure you do a little bit of homework too.

ganjaluvr82 said:
seems every morning there arenew stigma's (white hairs..some eventually turn reddish..this is what you want to watch.. to see when you need to start picking off buds.) Just a little FYI.

A little bit of bad info here bud... fyi... You don't want to judge the ripeness of your buds going by the pistils turning red... While it's usually an indication that you're getting closer to harvest with the majority of strains, to accurately know when to harvest you should use 20x-30x or greater magnification with a handheld microscope (see pic below) or a jeweler's loupe to view trichomes on the buds. They are clear when they form then turn cloudy as they mature and turn amber when at their peak of potency and they turn black and die if you let them go too long. Many growers prefer 30-50% amber trichs before they harvest their plants.

Why do indoor growers clone? Because it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! dig? Like that ham and cheese just don't flip my liddle if I can put it on the griddle in da middle of a couple slices of bread daddyo. Dullsville. Cloning is a gas, man... For example... When I start a new strain in my grow I like to start about 5-6 seeds of the same strain, hoping for 3 girls. I'll veg those until I see alternating nodes and or preflowers and then flower the ladies. When I put them into 12/12 I'll take a couple clones from each plant and I'll root that clone and keep it vegging while the original mother flowers. I'll flower the female plants until mature and at that point I'll choose a female or two to keep around in my strain. Going through all this takes time and effort and what's great about clones is once you get this homework done you know that every time you clone THIS particular plant you'll get a female that will grow identically to the parent plant. NO more seeds, no more vegging from seedling or coddling tender seedlings... dig? Since you've grown the genetics of your clone previously... Before you ever put the clone in to flower you already know how long it will take to mature, how tall it tends to grow, what the typical yield to expect is, how much stretch it typically goes through, how strong of nutes it likes the best and the best of all... how the buzz hits your melon. You can grow THAT buzz whenever you'd like... without planting a seed.

What's even better is you can keep clones from the strains in your grow room for years and years. I've grown some strains for 7-8 years in the past and only had to let them go when a grow had to be shut down for awhile. You can let clones get large and keep them as mothers to take more clones from... You can do a batch of however many clones of the same strain you'd like in your room and they'll all grow very close to the same height which helps keep you canopy even for better light coverage. And ANY time you want to have a grow of THAT same bud in the jar that you grew before you have the ability to grab some clones and away you go...

ONce you clip a bud off it's gone... there's nothing to regenerate that bud back... but if you need to sacrifice a bud to take a clone you do what you gotta do if you don't want to lose that strain for future grows.

Good Luck...:cool:

Beatnik.jpg

1301860.jpg

dirtyolsouth said:
Yo...chill it daddyo...

MVP representin', yo. Maybe this type 'o' stylin you got goin with the beatnik lingo doesn't float the boat of all us squares, dig? A little less swagger and being a little more humble will take you far around here. My guess it that you have a whacked sense of humor like me and no one knows what to make of it... toward the end of your post you came back down to earth but yo... Chillit. dig?

:holysheep:

Okay already... Welcome to MP! There are lots of resources here to read and learn and everything you need to know has usually been discussed at some point in the past so don't forget the 'search' function... Lots of growers here are willing to help but make sure you do a little bit of homework too.

Why do indoor growers clone? Because it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! dig? Like that ham and cheese just don't flip my liddle if I can put it on the griddle in da middle of a couple slices of bread daddyo. Dullsville. Cloning is da shanizzle! For example... When I start a new strain in my grow I like to start about 5-6 seeds of the same strain, hoping for 3 girls. I'll veg those until I see alternating nodes and or preflowers and then flower the ladies. When I put them into 12/12 I'll take a couple clones from each plant and I'll root that clone and keep it vegging while the original mother flowers. I'll flower the female plants until mature and at that point I'll choose a female or two to keep around in my strain. Going through all this takes time and effort and what's great about clones is once you get this homework done you know that every time you clone THIS particular plant you'll get a female that will grow identically to the parent plant. NO more seeds, no more vegging from seedling or coddling tender seedlings... dig?

What's even better is you can keep clones from the strains in your grow room for years and years. I've grown some strains for 7-8 years in the past and only had to let them go when a grow had to be shut down for awhile. You can let clones get large and keep them as mothers to take more clones from... You can do a batch of however many clones of the same strain you'd like in your room and they'll all grow very close to the same height which helps keep you canopy even for better light coverage. And ANY time you want to have a grow of THAT same bud in the jar that you grew before you have the ability to grab some clones and away you go...

ONce you clip a bud off it's gone... there's nothing to regenerate that bud back... but if you need to sacrifice a bud to take a clone you do what you gotta do if you don't want to lose that strain for future grows.

Good Luck...:cool:

LOL! ;):holysheep: - fyi, it takes a bit to make me LOL

I was entertained. I feel like I owe ya :clap: welcome to tha jungle.

I tape googly eyes to my plants, that way, ya know what their intentions are. The eyes are the windows of tha face!:p

GreenLantern7 said:
The eyes are the windows of tha face!:p

Yooo Daddyooo, not tryin to be a square here but the Eyes are the windows to the Sooulll
Can u Dig it?:cool:

I would hesitate to follow the advise of your friends (the "experienced growers":confused: :eek: ).

Take clones now. The further your plant gets into flowering the harder it is going to be to clone. You need a magnifying device to examine trichs to determine when your plant is ready to harvest. The color of the hairs have nothing to do with when to harvest. You will have a harvest window when you will need to harvest. The trichs go from clear to cloudy to amber. After amber, they start to die, turning brown and /or black. Once you pick a bud, it will not grow back.

I suggest you do some more reading.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I would hesitate to follow the advise of your friends (the "experienced growers":confused: :eek: ).

Take clones now. The further your plant gets into flowering the harder it is going to be to clone. You need a magnifying device to examine trichs to determine when your plant is ready to harvest. The color of the hairs have nothing to do with when to harvest. You will have a harvest window when you will need to harvest. The trichs go from clear to cloudy to amber. After amber, they start to die, turning brown and /or black. Once you pick a bud, it will not grow back.

I suggest you do some more reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
K well, thanks for giving me a response that I can understand.. and use.

:p (thanks to everyone) but.. some of you posted this lingo crap that I

don't understand. Sorry.. but thanks anyhow.

Yea, I know how to tell when its time to pick buds from my plant..

Take this chart for example.

It simple-fies everything for ya.. ya dig?

Anyhow, thanks for all the help people.

We all start some where... ;) I'm sure some of you 'Elite growers'
were in my position at one time.

anyhow.. peace.

P.S. - I know more than you people are probably thinking.. :)

When_To_Harvest.jpg

Man you can harvest whenever you want but I have to agree with everyone that you don't decide when to harvest based on the color of the hair. The best $15.00 I have ever spent on my grow was to purchase a hand held microscope at Radio Shack. The allows me to harvest based on the maturity of the trichs because if you like more of a up high you harvest when the trichs are cloudy, before they turn amber. If you want more of a body high then you let the trichs get amber or even a little darker. That way you get more of what you want which is why we grow, right? To get the best medicine for us

ganjaluvr82 said:
We all start some where... I'm sure some of you 'Elite growers' were in my position at one time. anyhow.. peace.
P.S. - I know more than you people are probably thinking..

Hi Ganjalove...

Dude... Many have come here before us and many will follow. No one here assumes anything about your level of growing knowledge but when you back it up with either wrong or misleading info it's not gonna earn you anything in the 'props' dept. We all remember how overwhelming it can be with the information overload and the steep learning curve to grow dank bud. There were no mj forums when I got into this. It's been a long road and I remember my failures and hopefully I learned something from each one and it moved me one baby step at a time down the road to being a more experienced grower. I still learn something EVERY day on MP... it never ends. Tater has some great words of wisdom... very insightful for all of us.

That sure is a snazzy looking chart but with all due respect... it's at best misleading. It's just not an accurate representation of what you need to watch for when you're waiting to harvest your bud at peak potency. I did a quick modification to the chart that reflects more of what actually happens and what to watch for. Even with so called '8 week strains' I've found it's often much closer for 'typical' indica/sativa cross strains to be at their peak closer to 10+ weeks of 12/12 which is closer to 8-9 after they first show signs of 'flowering.' Any strain of marijuana can be harvested at peak potency within a 'harvest window' of time. This window of time is different for every strain and the amount of time can vary for individual phenotypes of the strain grown from different seeds. The environment and lighting also influence when the harvest window occurs.

When pistils turn red and die it's often an indicator that you may be approaching the harvest window but it's only a 'ballpark' estimation. I've had pistils from some strains turn red and brown weeks before it was at it's peak potency. For more accurate control over potency and desired buzz you'll need 20-30x or better magnification to see what's really going on. If you choose to harvest earlier in the harvest window the high will be more of a 'up' head high. If you choose to harvest late in the harvest window the flowers will have more of a heavy, 'couchlock' stoned buzz... If you harvest when there is a balance between the cloudy and amber trichs you'll get a combination of a head high along with some of the couchlock effect from your meds.

Pic #2 is MUCH more handy than your original harvest chart... This is what you'll see with a hand-held 20-30x microscope. And about now you're starting to feel like the blind carpenter who took a hammer and saw! ;)

Pic #3 shows a pic of some bud that was picked with plenty of amber trichs... imho... Couchlock perfection! :stoned:

Happy Growing!:cool:

Trichs.jpg

whentoharvest.jpg

Couchlock.jpg

What do you use to decide to harvest if your plant has pink pistils that aren't being caused by a nutrient deficiency? And no I don't dig.

Use plain, easy to read english to help better get your point across, this is not the real world, its an internet forum and because of that fact the only thing that people here have to judge you on is the text you type in the little box.

/me thinks this guy has a "stigma"

Latest posts

Back