Help Please!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaboy88

stays blunted up
Reaction score
so i jus went to run my lights.. i have a 1000w mh/hps system and i plugged it in.. it started to run wit the mh.. went for mayb 3 or 4 min and cut off.. wouldnt cut back on.. so i was like it a old bulb wutever ima run the hps.. it did the same thing and now it wont cut back on at all and my ballast doesnt sound like its running and lights wont cut on.. its the only plug by itself in the wall.. can any1 tell me if im doin somethinn wrong??

jus got it all today.. the ballast was brand new.. the only thing used partially is the mh bulb and hood..

and is it on a surge strip that might have tripped ----- yep check the breaker ,,, check the strip ,,,, plug something different that you know works in to the plug that you have that ballast plugged in to .

hmmm is the ballast under warranty? Has this ever happened in your house before?

no this hasnt happened b4 and yes its under warranty.. if i would have "fried" it ,would it have ran 2 times for 3-4min after the fact or can i thro that idea out the window.??

Was the bulb an MH conversion bulb? I know with my 1000w digital ballast I need a conversion bulb to run MH, and even at that the first type MH conversion bulb they sent me lasted 3-4 minutes before going out.

Maybe you blew the fuse that is inside the ballast itself when trying the MH. I would check that. Your ballast may even have a spare fuse located inside as well (reference your directions for the location).

warfish said:
Was the bulb an MH conversion bulb? I know with my 1000w digital ballast I need a conversion bulb to run MH, and even at that the first type MH conversion bulb they sent me lasted 3-4 minutes before going out.

Maybe you blew the fuse that is inside the ballast itself when trying the MH. I would check that. Your ballast may even have a spare fuse located inside as well (reference your directions for the location).

i ordered a normal ballast for my 400w system and got a free upgrade to a digital ballast. I ordered a 400w mh conversion bulb and i used that in my digital ballast without any issues. I was a little cautious about using it in a digital ballast but wound up using it no problem for 3 weeks or so.

viper said:
and is it on a surge strip that might have tripped ----- yep check the breaker ,,, check the strip ,,,, plug something different that you know works in to the plug that you have that ballast plugged in to .

dude.. thank you so much.. i was super stoned when i read it the first time and then i thought about it and realized i didnt plug it directly into the wall i jus switched the outlets but ran it thru the power strip.. i ran it directly into the wall and walllaaaa.. it came on:D :woohoo: .. i ran it for a couple min no prob and it seems to b good.. so, the hps bulb is brand new and runnin fine and is the main 1 i care about.. the mh has been givin me trouble.. :hairpull: but its a used bulb and i dont plan on runnin it really for the grow so it doesnt really bother me.. but again thank you and happy growin:aok:

Just out of curiousity, is it a switchable ballast? If so, make sure to set the switch in the correct position.

I have a switchable ballast and forgot to set it back to MH after my last grow. I caught it in time but I'm sure it didn't do my ballast or bulb any good running that way.

AG

Amateur Grower said:
Just out of curiousity, is it a switchable ballast? If so, make sure to set the switch in the correct position.

I have a switchable ballast and forgot to set it back to MH after my last grow. I caught it in time but I'm sure it didn't do my ballast or bulb any good running that way.

AG

ya.. it is.. and i already messed up and did that..lol.. i ran the hps to make sure it was workin good and when i ran the mh i did it on the hps setting and didnt realize it till after i turned it off.. so i flipped it and tried it and it wouldnt... ill give it a break and try tomorro.. it doesnt matter that much to me cuz thats too much for wut i need in veg rite now and it was extra in the huge bundle i picked up.. but thanks and happy growin:aok:

Amateur Grower said:

AG

My 400w is a switchable, and I have accidently forgotten to flip the switch many times...lol..(I'm stoned alot) it doesn't hurt anything, just won't let the light come on.

My one experience with this was....I left my HPS bulb in after the last grow. When I sprouted my next seeds, I moved them in, put in my brand spanking new MH bulb and fired up the rig, and dang, it got hot and I mean quick! Seems like it was almost 20 degrees difference. Anyway, I finally looked around and saw the switch still set to the HPS side.

I'm sure someone who knows lights can say, but my theory is that the HPS setting maybe gives the ballast more juice than the MH setting. All I know is, it was real bright and real hot. I probably shortened my MH's life a little by running it that way, even for just a day. Who knows?

Truthfully, I don't beat myself up about stuff like that anymore-I used to. But we're growing pot, right? And that inherently makes most of us type badly and forget stuff!

AG
After reading that, I realized that, unlike many others here who are very knowledgeable and smart, all my advice is based on crap I've screwed up! And yes, I'm currently stoned.

I've never noticed anything with mine, except that it won't turn on if I have the thing set wrong...lol...but I'm not saying that it couldn't hurt something, it just never has for me. My 400 is a hand me down and probably 8 yrs old...and I know the other 2 guys that had it b4 me...lol...and they are way more baked than I am, so i'd say this thing has passed the test of time.

flaboy88 said:
ya.. it is.. and i already messed up and did that..lol.. i ran the hps to make sure it was workin good and when i ran the mh i did it on the hps setting and didnt realize it till after i turned it off.. so i flipped it and tried it and it wouldnt... ill give it a break and try tomorro.. it doesnt matter that much to me cuz thats too much for wut i need in veg rite now and it was extra in the huge bundle i picked up.. but thanks and happy growin:aok:
Why is a guy who doesn't know how to turn on a light making fun at others advise? I knew I was dealing with a brain cramp and it didn't take you long to prove that...

ledtester said:
Why is a guy who doesn't know how to turn on a light making fun at others advise? I knew I was dealing with a brain cramp and it didn't take you long to prove that...

well, i guess our crops will show for themselves buddy.. seems to me is all u are is a mouth with nothin to back it up.. so untill u do, dont post sheeeiit in my thread.. some1 is a lame and needs to get off my D**K! :ignore:

ledtester said:

I don't see how he was making fun of his advice, the only thing he did was state that he already made that mistake lol.

he is referring to another thread where the persons power was gettin cut for 22 hours.. he said he would put flashlights around his babies for light:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and he also said it drops in the 30's all the time where he at and i simply said thats not good for mj and goes on this huge rant tryin to put ppl down.. as u can tell he still aint let it go.. hey ledtester, did you go wit zem's idea and surround ur ladies with a bunch of candles??:hubba: :hubba:

flaboy88 said:
he is referring to another thread where the persons power was gettin cut for 22 hours.. he said he would put flashlights around his babies for light:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and he also said it drops in the 30's all the time where he at and i simply said thats not good for mj and goes on this huge rant tryin to put ppl down.. as u can tell he still aint let it go.. hey ledtester, did you go wit zem's idea and surround ur ladies with a bunch of candles??:hubba: :hubba:

Considering the number of ballasts I've built that you can't even turn on, I think candles are more your speed...LOL...better up the house insurance I smell a BBQ coming on!...LMAO

Latest posts

Back