help!! think i messed up.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KP419

Reaction score
I cut and successfully rooted 10 clones and transplanted to 16oz solo cups. Well they were real nice and green untill a few days later the leaves started turning yellow and at first didnt know why. Well i think i may have figured it out, the soil i put them in was FFOF and this soil has feed in it already which im thinking is too strong for the freshly rooted clones, am i correct about this or is the clones in this FFOF soil not a problem? I wasnt thinking when i did this and need to know what i should do from here. Im thinking i should just re-transplant them into a basic soil w/out nutes/feed but would like some input first on steps i should take here to not lose my clones. Thanks

or do you think i could put sum of the FFOF soil in a strainer and flush it to reduce the nutes in it or will that not work?

Yeah that sounds like the FFOF is a little too hot for the young roots of the clones. I would just flush the soil in the cups. Make sure you have good drainage holes in the bottoms of the cups and then slowly pour straight clean non-PH'd water through them. I would use about 1 gallon of water on each cup and just let it drain away, unless you want to keep the water for watering bigger plants as it will have disolved nutes in it.

They will probably look rough for a good week or two until the roots recover from being burned. If they are pretty bad and you really need to save them, you can get some root tonic or something like spray n grow or superthrive and give them a very light misting with one of those. That will help them be able to heal without having to depend on the roots for gathering the nutrients needed for the repairs. I would wait a couple days after flushing them before misting them so that they have a chance to dry out some.

Hope they pull through for ya :)

I was disapointed i did this because i have always had issues with cloning and after so many attempts trying different techniques i finally found a excellent cloning method that has gave me 100% success rate and now this happens. The plants i cut these from are now in 2nd week of flowering so do not want to cut more clones but i do have 4 mothers in progress but do not want to cut from them quite yet. So im going to follow your advice and flush them and mist with Thrive alive B-1 and hope for best. Half of them have only been in soil for 4 to 5 days and the other half 2 to 3 days so hopefully I caught it early enough. Thanks for the help Hush!!

Nothing wrong with taking cuttings from a plant a couple of weeks into 12/12.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Nothing wrong with taking cuttings from a plant a couple of weeks into 12/12.
:yeahthat:
I have a Higher root rate when taken at week two bloom

FFof is organic. How do you flush microbes away?

I would just add more peat/coco or something similar to cut the FFof with if you think it is to hot.

I have used FFof on many occasions from planting seeds to clones and never had any extra yellowing besides what is normal for a clone using it stored food up to make roots. Some strains turn more yellow when cloning but for me it is always the ones that are hard to clone and take longer to root that turn the most yellow. But maybe I am doing something wrong as my lower leaves on my clones always turn yellow or somewhat yellow depending on how long it takes to root.

Yeah PC, your right about clones turning yellow some, especially if they take a while to root. The OF soil has extra ferts added in with it(according to manufacturer description) and I have heard many people say that it makes it pretty hot for seedlings and fresh clones. That is why I suggested flushing them to remove some of the extra nutes that are present to allow the new roots to catch up. KP said that they were already rooted and transplanted for a few days before noticing the yellowing. That makes me think nute burn. Had the leaves started yellowing before they were transplanted then I would say yellowing off from the rooting process. I could be wrong though as I haven't seen the clones. :)

HP...Yeah I seen that also, but I think Fox Farm just likes confusing people with using the words Fertilizers and nutrients in their description. Makes me think of inorganic and/or a bottle with a specific N-P-K. FFoF is organic, and I like using the word amendments instead of fertilizers and nutes. But maybe that is just me.

I thought it was organic then I heard people talking about it being hot and then read that it has ferts so I was thinking chem ferts. I agree that is confusing. They should refer to it as ammendments rather than ferts, that would make things easier. :)

I use a 50/50 coir / ffof for my clones. Ocean Forest burns the heck out of my babies if I use it straight. Better of just getting a seed starter mix at walmart and using that for your clones.

All my clones were completely green after a full set of roots but about 2 days or so after planting into FFOF soil all the leaves started turning yellow and tips were burning. I followed hushpuppys advice and they are doing much better now cuz before i flushed them they were looking very bad even wilting alot but are great now. If i am not mistaken the bag said it had 30 days worth of feed in it, i wish i still had the bag to check it. Any way thanks for all the advice, my clones have been rescued lol. Thanks again everyone.

the lower leaves will yellow when the cut is making roots....totally normal.

the soil was to hot im sure but they will yellow some in the beginning.

all i use is fox farms.....last grow 42 clones straight 12/12...and 72 this time in fox farms OF...the introduction to the nutes and shock from transfer is a bit stressfull..causes i lil leaf coloring maybe a lil droopage...but they'll be fine...

FYI..i grow seeds in fox farm OF....a lot more sensitive then a rooted clone!

Further more i wouldnt flush and rinse all the nutes out the soil..next you'll be having defiency probs from no nutes in the soil to feed on...

I wouldn't think that Flushing that soil would completely remove all of the organic nutrients or microbes unless it was done to extreeme. Given that they are in only 16oz solo cups, they won't be in them long enough to become deficient before they get transplanted to new soil. This is just to give them time for the roots to repair and toughen up some. :)

Ya this was the first time i have used FFOF to put my newly rooted clones in and was worried at first because of the drooping and fast yellowing leaves because they didnt yellow or droop untill i put them in this soil and they looked as if they were about to die but once i flushed they started looking better with in a day or two. Thanks for the info buddogmutt, next time i will try a few clones in that soil without flushing to see how it goes. I usually use just plain soil when i clone and just didnt want to lose them so took all precautions that i could.

So how are they doing now? have you started back feeding or are you still waiting? If I was using FFOF soil, for clones I would mix it 50/50 with coco or some other soil that is neutral to prevent the root burning. Then when they are growing vigorously after a couple weeks, I would transplant the whole soil clod in the cups to 100% OF soil for the rest of the grow. Even in hydro, I start out clones in low nutrient of about 300ppm for a week before exposing them to full nutrient line for vegging. But that's just the way I do it :)

I transplant my clones right into 1 gal pots. I did 8 of them yesterday, and they look wonderful this morning. I can already detect new growth after one night under 600w MH. I can't remember my clones ever getting yellow -- they stay as green as they were when clipped off the mother plant. I use plugs in a dome, powdered hormones and some weak nutes in the tray, and after a couple of weeks I have too many roots for a dixi cup. I stopped using FFOF soil because I didn't like the way it compacts after a few weeks. I'm using ProMix now -- wonderful stuff. I amend it with bone meal, blood meal, bat guano, sweet lime and then use GH three part chem nutes (modified Lucus formula) on top of all that. I get a little leaf-tip burn sometimes, but my plants seem to love what I give them, and they grow fast. The mothers in the tent under 12/12 already have trichs after only 3 weeks ( the Blue Widow does anyway) I guess I'm gifted as far as cloning goes -- I never lose clones, they all get roots in a couple of weeks and they all stay green and grow nicely after transplant. Propagating seeds is my weak link. I would much rather take clones. The down side of growing out clones is growing the same strains time after time. We all love a variety. Clones do cut down the harvest time by a month or so, and you know for sure your plants are female. I'm still looking for a killer strain -- my cousin sent me an AK47 spider mite infested clone last year that I wish I had chucked some pollen at and kept. I called her last night and asked her to send me another. This time I will deal with the mites before putting the plant in with my other plants. What a nightmare getting rid of the bugs turned out to be. It won't happen again.

Sorry for going on and on -- grow well, don't stress, get high and spread around the joy of great MJ. If you are a grower, you are special.

Peace

Hushpuppy said:
I wouldn't think that Flushing that soil would completely remove all of the organic nutrients or microbes unless it was done to extreeme. Given that they are in only 16oz solo cups, they won't be in them long enough to become deficient before they get transplanted to new soil. This is just to give them time for the roots to repair and toughen up some. :)

i agree...but the word "flush".. means to elliminate nutes in soil as mush as possible...so thats all i ment when saying "i wouldnt flush"....

Latest posts

Back