Help with contruction of my grow room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weather stripping is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks yet again Hush ;). Ight so i'll get some of that then, i'll be wanting to put somthing on the out side to kinda put around the edges to help a bit more with insulating. Simply because i don't think I'm going to be making the whole door as you did, but just using it as a skinny flab of wood acting as a door lol. Would putting some insulated foam pieces from home depot on the door and around it suffice??

ALSO, posted up pics of the room on previous post, will post more current ones tonight.

I would think if the insulation foam is that thick blue board, it would work good enough :)

awesome! Ya so ill get some insulating foam and some weather stripping. Thanks.

Here is the most recent pics. Leme know w hat yall think?

The far left pic is a view from the door way standing outside looking in. Middle left, is a pic of the exhaust and intake ducting connected to the fans.Top ducting is exhaust and the lower one is the intake. The middle right pic is of the intake leading all the way down to the floor and propped back up towards where the plants will be. And lastly the far right pic is of the 1k watt hps connected to the ducting.

1. Question I had about the pic in the middle right, since you can see my carbon filter in the first pic all the way on the left, is on the ground, and I also have the intake leading to the ground, but propped back upwards. My question is, would it be more efficient if I just had the intake leading all the way up to the top of the roof? Rather than straight down to the floor? In an attempt to circulate the air better? Having the air being released up high, and then being sucked out down below? I know this isn't the best method for this, I'd prefer to have the filter hung high and have the intake low, but sadly the filter is way to heavy to be supported... What yall think?

03072041.jpeg

03072042a.jpeg

03072042b.jpeg

03072044.jpeg

My bad to double post, just wanting ppl to see this thread under new posts ;)

I would say that it will be best to have that filter up at the top of the space to prevent heat build up in the top of the space. Why is the filter so heavy? I have a carbon filter that I made and it is not very heavy. You should be able to use some "L" brackets to build a shelf up high enough to hold the filter at the top of the space. Other than that, she looks good(just not big enough :doh: :) ) So when are you going to build the clone n veg room? :)

I don't know if you have thought of this but you need to mount the door so that it opens out not in as that will take up a considerable amount of interior space. And make sure that the interior of the door is sealed against moisture as that will cause it to bow and twist if it isn't a standard door :)

EsC420PoT said:
awesome! Ya so ill get some insulating foam and some weather stripping. Thanks.

Here is the most recent pics. Leme know w hat yall think?

The far left pic is a view from the door way standing outside looking in. Middle left, is a pic of the exhaust and intake ducting connected to the fans.Top ducting is exhaust and the lower one is the intake. The middle right pic is of the intake leading all the way down to the floor and propped back up towards where the plants will be. And lastly the far right pic is of the 1k watt hps connected to the ducting.

1. Question I had about the pic in the middle right, since you can see my carbon filter in the first pic all the way on the left, is on the ground, and I also have the intake leading to the ground, but propped back upwards. My question is, would it be more efficient if I just had the intake leading all the way up to the top of the roof? Rather than straight down to the floor? In an attempt to circulate the air better? Having the air being released up high, and then being sucked out down below? I know this isn't the best method for this, I'd prefer to have the filter hung high and have the intake low, but sadly the filter is way to heavy to be supported... What yall think?

your room looks good man---i agree that the filter needs to be up high---if for nothing else---more floor space---i too have filters that weigh approx 60lbs. and use truck friction tie downs to support them in the air hanging on hooks---4 hooks, 2 straps---check it out---

carbon filter hanging 001.jpg

carbon filter hanging 002.jpg

carbon filter hanging 003.jpg

Hushpuppy said:
I would say that it will be best to have that filter up at the top of the space to prevent heat build up in the top of the space. Why is the filter so heavy? I have a carbon filter that I made and it is not very heavy. You should be able to use some "L" brackets to build a shelf up high enough to hold the filter at the top of the space. Other than that, she looks good(just not big enough :doh: :) ) So when are you going to build the clone n veg room? :)
Thanks hush, i worked hard on it. so,

as to the mounting of the door, ya i was going to put the hindges to where it'll open up outwards. And what kinda material should i use against to from moisture? I was just gonna cover it with panda film and ducting tape, some weather stripping and some insulating foam around the back side.
As for this quote, i'll def try to hang it up, but i'm not sure if the structure can hold it, i could be wrong we did build it by the code, but it's super heavy... I dunno why it's so heavy but it cost me a pretty penny from the hydro store, lol. And what do you mean to small??? I was thinking that in the back of my head, but i'v learned that i want 5k lumens per Sq.Ft. And 5 x 5 space would be more then efficient. Am i mistaken ? Did i misjudge my grow??

orangesunshine said:
your room looks good man---i agree that the filter needs to be up high---if for nothing else---more floor space---i too have filters that weigh approx 60lbs. and use truck friction tie downs to support them in the air hanging on hooks---4 hooks, 2 straps---check it out---
Thanks, I can't say it's THE BEST, but it is definitely my best DIY grow room yet. Im proud of it. And yes, what you got there, is exactly what i was thinking of doing. I'll see if the structure can support it and i'll do just as you have in the pics ;)

Thanks guys :)

I was kidding about the space being too small. It will be fine but I started out with 2 cabinets that were 4x4 and it didn't take long for me to want it bigger. I added another room that is 5x7 and thought that would be great. Then I added another room that is 7x15, and I redid the cabinets so that I have 1 big space that is 5x7. So I now have about 175sqft of growing space, and I am thinking about how I would love to have about double that. :)It seems like the more I have, the more I need as I keep getting "friends" that want my buds. I guess I could have worse problems :)

If you cover the door with the panda film and tape it to the door all the way around, that shouild prevent any moisture from messing with the door shape.

I had no idea those filters would be sooo heavy. I would definitely se about putting about 3 heavy duty lag hooks into the 2x4 ceiling joists and hanging the filter from those with some strap material. 3 heavy lag hooks should hold it just fine. I would take it down after each grow and use compressed air to back blow the filter to get out as much dust and crud as possible so that you can extend the life of it. :)

Ok, so i tried convincing my partner that we should hang the filter up above, and he isn't going for it. Unfortunately, I am partnered on this project, and sadly I can't always do everything as i please, atleast when it comes to the construction since my partner is Mr.Time Alen Home Improvement. I'm 100 percent positive that the structure can support the filter, but he honestly feels it wont hold... Or is just being lazy, which i feel it's just that... Because he just wants the thing up and running, and i'm being very picky and taking every measure to ensure it'll be the most efficient... So, I guess for now i'm stuck with leaving it on the ground in the corner, at least for the first harvest. So now my question is this,
Question---------------------------------
Judging from the pics above, since the filter is on the ground in the corner, should i have my intake ducting line go up towards the roof, pointed downward at the plants? Rather then having it leading all the way down to the floor and prop it back up? I feel the way I have it now, will just suck the air straight across the bottom into the filter, rather than circulating air through out the whole room? Or, I could stack like 3 or 4 milk crates and then put the filter on top of that, so that it'd be placed more towards the top/middle of the room rather then being placed at the bottom of the floor.

imo intake air should be low to the ground for cool temps and exhaust high for heat---everything off direct contact with the floor for easy cleaning

I would try to convence him to put the filter high it will pull more of the cool air out of the growarea if it is low. The higher the filter the more hot air it will pull out.

yeah, if your buddy isn't convinced now about moving the filter up high, he will be when he loses the first set of plants because of them overheating and dying. Trust me I have been there and done that, and lost a whole crop to heat stress, and had to harvest another crop way early because of heat stress. If nothing else, get the milk crates and raise that thing as high as you can then strap it to the wall so it doesn't get knocked over into the plants. Leave the intake air on the floor as cooler air falls and warmer air rises(even with fans moving it).

What kind of lighting are you planning on using? If you can, you really need to have an air cooled hood or cool tube that is connected to outside air both coming and going. I don't have vented hoods, only open batwing fixtures and I am constantly fighting heat.

Hushpuppy said:
yeah, if your buddy isn't convinced now about moving the filter up high, he will be when he loses the first set of plants because of them overheating and dying. Trust me I have been there and done that, and lost a whole crop to heat stress, and had to harvest another crop way early because of heat stress. If nothing else, get the milk crates and raise that thing as high as you can then strap it to the wall so it doesn't get knocked over into the plants. Leave the intake air on the floor as cooler air falls and warmer air rises(even with fans moving it).

What kind of lighting are you planning on using? If you can, you really need to have an air cooled hood or cool tube that is connected to outside air both coming and going. I don't have vented hoods, only open batwing fixtures and I am constantly fighting heat.

I do i have air cooling hoods lol! Don't you see the pics above? it shows my 1k watt fixture from above attached to the exhaust ducting. And ya i guess i'll have to just raise it up on the milk crates... He's kinda being a puss about things lately...

ii also agree get that filter raised up. after than you could probably loose some of that extra ducting, would be probably quiter and run more efficent

well the other problem i noticed as well, is the exhaust is 6 inch and the intake is 4 inch, and the exhaust is a 400 cmf fan and the intake is, hm off the top my head 175-200 cmf?? And figured because of the long ducting of the exhaust, it would equal out just about right. But now I noticed, that i'm going to have to stretch about 10 ft more on the other side of the intake to the window.... Am I feel that it will reduce the intake to low... What yall think?

from what i see you may be in for some heat issues come summer time cause you might be in a garage---it does not look like you have a/c and i never saw any insulation or drywall---as far as air flow goes---imo the more the merrier---shortest straightest route and when ever possible pull instead of push---you can find ducting reducers at homeboy depot

Well im def pulling way more than pushing, I'm just afraid i might be pulling to much... But i guess that's not much of a problem since if it's pulling more than pushing, wouldn't that still suffice??

Hey yeah I missed the light fixture that the ducting that we were talking about went throuigh :doh:

I could be wrong but I would put the stronger fan just on the outside or inside of the wall of the room, exausting the air, then mount the other fan at the other end of the hose that is exausting the air to the outside so that both fans are pulling air from the inside. I wouldn't put a fan on the intake as the exausting will pull air into the room through the passive intake by negative pressure. This will assure that there is no positive pressure that could send flower aromas anywhere but into the filter. My brother tried to push-pull and it didn't work well and he battled heat because of it. :) I wouldn't worry about the difference in the size of the intake unless you find that it isn't moving enough air. Or are you talking about the size of the fans? if that's the case, you can just get a neck-down collar from the Depot or Lowes and still use it that way. I think it would work well like that. :)

Latest posts

Back