Hick..Goddess...Family! Gonna need your help on this one!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No prob! The Goddes has got you now! She'll walk you through the rough stuff!

lol wicked i need a pro like her for help haha .. got to log off for few hours now but will b back to my other thread with pics etc l8r :)

This is really helpful, Chefman. So glad you started the thread. I know NOTHING about how to set mine up, and my first HID is en route now. With summer in the desert on the way, I have to learn how to do this. Thanks!

The Starwarz diagram is really helpful, too.

You will def like the results whether you go 1000 or 600 or 400. I have been making do with a 4oo MH for veg and a 1000HPS for flowering. I today, ordered a new 600 watt digital/ switchable/ dimmable at 75% or 50% power. Got on ebay new for 234.00 with free shipping! I have a good sized area for veg so I went with a batwing reflector since heat is not an issue. Right now I have 5 Blue berry fem, 2 Northern lights, 2 Afghan fem, a mango and a ez lowryder auto (1st try auto ) in veg and 1 bb in flower. Cant wait for the new light set up:banana: Either way you go, good luck and may the green mojo b with you

And when did good beef start coming from the south????? Midwest america is prime beef territory for steaks and women!!LOL

you'll get better performance if you can wire it to your dryer outlet at 240v. plug it in for the lights on period and unplug when using the dryer..i ran 4000w that way SAFELY...i'm sure you can get away with one.

orangesunshine said:
hey chef---in for a penny in for a pound right---you don't have to worry about the electric co so long as you pay your bill---you might consider checking into a digital ballast so you can adjust to 400,600, or 1000, and you keep your $100 bulb---bulb will heat that little closet quickly so get a really good inline fan---hood can be cumbersome when it comes time to adjust the height---you might consider truck tie down straps that tighten with friction and loosen by pinching the buckle---much more convenient than the old school chains and hooks---looking forward to seeing it in action
man those "pro hangers" are life savers..i have 13 lights to adjust and all of them are outfitted with pro hangers..i think they're a sunlight supply product.about $15 a pair..

I would be willing to bet that with that hood hooked up to a decent fan, you should have no troubles keeping your room cool. Those cfl's youve been using produce quite a bit of heat themselves and youve been doing a fine job with them. Also the fact that its a HPS it should run quite a bit cooler than a MH lamp. Rock the dank Chef!

Well your right! I cool my flower room with the a/c vent and put a small fan to circulate air throught the light cover! Temps stick around 86 degrees. I converted a tent frame i'm not using to serve as a stable holder for the 1k hps. Tied one end with a chain and the other with a bugee cord. A ghetto set up if i've evr seen one but....uh...hehehe...it works...very well!!!

DSCI4639.JPG

DSCI4640.JPG

DSCI4641.JPG

DSCI4642.JPG

Hey Chef...:ciao:

Congrats on your new 1K but unfortunately I don't think your fan solution is going work very well long term. In the summer it's going to be a whole new ballgame to keep it cool. I've got a 1K and a 6 bulb t5 fixture in a 2x4 closet and with some very robust ventilation and a/c in the summer I can keep temps in the mid 70s year around. If you can put a hole in your ceiling you can put a strong fan - 6" or 8" preferred - and you'll pull all the heat off of the light no problem. I use a 6" 630cfm fan because I have a carbon filter first in my ventilation chain but I'm sure I could get away with closer to a 400cfm fan if there wasn't a filter loading down the airflow. I have my fan mounted in the attic and a 6" hole in the ceiling of my closet to run duct thru and it works great. I suggest that you go with the strongest fan you can afford because you can always use a controller to back off the fan speed if you have too much and it's always nice to have some headroom.

In the winter when temps are in the mid 60s in the bedroom with the grow closet I can keep the closet door closed and temps stay in the lower 70s. As temps heat up I have to open the closet door to pull in more cool air and in the dog days of summer I gotta use another fan and blow cool a/c air into my closet thru a piece of duct to keep temps in line. 1K's in a tight space are sure a challenge but the penetration power that you get from them is very powerful in such a small space. If you can keep all of your budding within 36" of the light you'll have rock hard dank... ;) :aok:

Peace~! :cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Hey Chef...:ciao:

Congrats on your new 1K but unfortunately I don't think your fan solution is going work very well long term. In the summer it's going to be a whole new ballgame to keep it cool. I've got a 1K and a 6 bulb t5 fixture in a 2x4 closet and with some very robust ventilation and a/c in the summer I can keep temps in the mid 70s year around. If you can put a hole in your ceiling you can put a strong fan - 6" or 8" preferred - and you'll pull all the heat off of the light no problem. I use a 6" 630cfm fan because I have a carbon filter first in my ventilation chain but I'm sure I could get away with closer to a 400cfm fan if there wasn't a filter loading down the airflow. I have my fan mounted in the attic and a 6" hole in the ceiling of my closet to run duct thru and it works great. I suggest that you go with the strongest fan you can afford because you can always use a controller to back off the fan speed if you have too much and it's always nice to have some headroom.

In the winter when temps are in the mid 60s in the bedroom with the grow closet I can keep the closet door closed and temps stay in the lower 70s. As temps heat up I have to open the closet door to pull in more cool air and in the dog days of summer I gotta use another fan and blow cool a/c air into my closet thru a piece of duct to keep temps in line. 1K's in a tight space are sure a challenge but the penetration power that you get from them is very powerful in such a small space. If you can keep all of your budding within 36" of the light you'll have rock hard dank... ;) :aok:

Peace~! :cool:

Hehehe you don't live in my casa! Picture the a/c vent just at the edge of the pic in the ceiling. The small black fan is just to keep some air movement on the bulb...it works just fine. I also have a stand up fan just below the air vent where the air blows. Now...the temps only have a 4 degree differental or fluxuation. It stays a constant between 84-86 degrees. This is in the bathroom. A spacious bathroom. oh yeah if i put a fan in the ceiling the people who live above me will be pissed not to mention the people who own the apt! In the summer i like a cold home...but the wifey likes a cold home!!!We keep temps in the apt at 70. Most of the vent are shut off except certain ones which help push air not only to the flower room but where i need it. I have two vents in the room the thermostat is in. I starve the one above it and with the aid of a ceiling fan and the other vent 1/4 of the way open i can easily manipulate the temps in the bathroom i'm growing in. With the doors to the bathroom always shut i can dam near get that bathroom to a steady 65 degrees if i want even if it's one of its famous 100 degree days here.

I am following for my own interests, thanks Cheffy. I am having the same prob, a 1000 watts in a small space that is too hot already and it isn't even summer so I was hanging on DOS's every word. I am going to go back to the beginning and re-think and re-work my cooling.
Thanks for this thread chef.
i used an instant read thermometer and placed it on the top leaves, and it was 82 there, not the 86 I thought it was in the room.

Glad i could help Rosie. I dunno to mee...cooling this thing is no big deal if you have a vent in the room and a couple of fans.

It is very hard to cool my little room. I won't be able to grow this summer if i don't get it figured out soon. It is hot here in the summer, it is a desert here in eastern wa. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but how do you keep clones for 4 months? Yikes, I am reading up on it now.
thanks!

Put that white tank(the ballast) on CL and use the greenbacks to get yourself a 600w lumatex adjustable, to use with that nice hood. Use the 250w or 400w setting with appropriate bulb. I love mine, can save electricity with 400 if vegging and can kick in a 600 hps on the 12/12 cycle to finish it off and never have to change anything except the bulb.

FemmeFatale said:
Put that white tank(the ballast) on CL and use the greenbacks to get yourself a 600w lumatex adjustable, to use with that nice hood. Use the 250w or 400w setting with appropriate bulb. I love mine, can save electricity with 400 if vegging and can kick in a 600 hps on the 12/12 cycle to finish it off and never have to change anything except the bulb.

Why would i want to go from a 1k to a lower wattage?!!! I think you need to read some more and get more growing expirence before handing out advice. I'm fine where i'm at!

Latest posts

Back