High...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Jansen

Reaction score
High all... this is my first post and I will probably be in this forum the most so I thought I would start here by introducing myself... First off I'm a newb, and apologize ahead of time... But anyway, I have created my first hydro setup. It's F/D 2 x 2 HG tray with a 185 HPG pump, standard cycle timer, a few small fans and a heater to control temp, purchasing a sheet of coco to line my tray and a humidity/temp gauge at the end of the week. Typical 3 x 3 setup nothin fancy yet.... T5's to start, 400 HPS system on the way... I am really exited to get started but my seeds havent arrived yet... TO pacify myself I have been helping myself to all the information on Hydroponics available on the internet that I can get.. However there are about 50 ?'s I have that I can't seem to find a definate answer to.. SO I thought I'd start with a couple..

1. How often should you feed.. Is it a continous thing or should I just wait until they are almost dry then hit em for 30 mins? The reason I ask is that I have seen arguements for both..

2. I am planning to experiment with 12- 18 hour lights out feedings every 3rd day in order promote faster veg growth.. Good Idea? Horrible Idea?

Anyway thanks for any help offered by more experienced growers..

Sounds like you have a good set-up. I am real partial to the T5s for vegging and I think that HPS is the only light for flowering. However, I don't understand your rationale behind the weird light schedule and feeding schedule you are proposing in #2. How can this possibly promote faster vegging? IMO, a 24/7 light schedule promotes the fastest vegging.

Elliot Jansen said:
High all... this is my first post and I will probably be in this forum the most so I thought I would start here by introducing myself... First off I'm a newb, and apologize ahead of time... But anyway, I have created my first hydro setup. It's F/D 2 x 2 HG tray with a 185 HPG pump, standard cycle timer, a few small fans and a heater to control temp, purchasing a sheet of coco to line my tray and a humidity/temp gauge at the end of the week. Typical 3 x 3 setup nothin fancy yet.... T5's to start, 400 HPS system on the way... I am really exited to get started but my seeds havent arrived yet... TO pacify myself I have been helping myself to all the information on Hydroponics available on the internet that I can get.. However there are about 50 ?'s I have that I can't seem to find a definate answer to.. SO I thought I'd start with a couple..

1. How often should you feed.. Is it a continous thing or should I just wait until they are almost dry then hit em for 30 mins? The reason I ask is that I have seen arguements for both..

2. I am planning to experiment with 12- 18 hour lights out feedings every 3rd day in order promote faster veg growth.. Good Idea? Horrible Idea?

set up sounds similar to mine, umm, what i do i have my plants on a timer, 7 hours apart to be fed for 2 hours then 2 hours and a half (no problems what so ever), as for the lights... i run 24 when veg for 5 days a week and let them rest for 2 (that my way of giving them a break and also my wallet :) ) but experiment, see how your plants are prior to your experiments, see if you like the change or not, from there you can determine, you also have to remember some methods work and some dont, and also home remedys are not good all the time sometimes you have to break your dollar to grow your leaf....peace and good luck

kamsai...

Allo', Runbyhemp, Kamsai, and HempGoddess nice to meetcha..

HempGoddess- The rational for my experimentation with the lighting schedule for veg, is that it is true that cannibis and plants in general can flourish in 24/7 light. However what most plants tend to do (outdoors) is store nutrients and sunlight energy during daylight, and at night time spend it all creating growth spurts. Which is why sometimes after a rain or even aftter a hot day, you'll look and see a weed or your grass at one height, then when you are getting into your car to go to work the next morning it looks like it's not been mowed or weed whacked at all. Im no botanist but there is info online, I'll see if I can find hte link and post it.

Kamsai - Thanks for the info on the water cycle, I do have one ? about that regular of a cycle tho... Do you have to change your res water more because of a constant feeding cycle? Or do you just top off with more nutes every so often?

Elliot Jansen said:

Yo elli first off all plants require different amounts of watering depending on their rate of growth. For marijuana in a ebb and flow system flooding the tray twice a day should be plenty as long as your plants are in at least 3 inch rockwool cubes to help hold some of that water. When i would flood my trays i would let them go for about 5 mins to allow all the water to circulate. Second to promote better veg growth concentrate more on your nute levels (ppm) and your pH . Havin g these two factors perfect will help much more than some crazy light cycles you can run the lights 24/7 but using a 20 on and 4 off cycle i think is a little more ideal as it does a better job of replacating nature good luck hope this helped.

Latest posts

Back