Holy Crap, the HEAT!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!
Reaction score
ok... I gave my 400w HPS light to a friend, he put it into his flowering closet which is 1.5ft x 3.5ft... but he has no way to cool it down. Literally no place to vent the room. He's trying to do a stealth grow, The closet is actually BRICK on the inside so there is no way to vent.

What do you recommend? The attic is out also because of the way the ceiling is structered. The water heater is right above this area, so it's floored.

He only needs 21000 lumens approximately for that area, does he need a different light setup??? If so, what kind? Thanks!!!

maybe if you could try to find someway to keep that bulb cool keep a fan on it all the time or something if there is no way to vent at all and it continues horribly id prob step it down to a 250 watt hps or to save on the heat several 150 watters

ya, keep one fan on the Bulb.
and one fan on the plants, constantly making the leaves move.
If he can open a door to the closet, have a fan blowing in.
Maybe even cut 2 holes in the door, and add in a computer fan for intake and exhaust.

400W for that size of room is too much!
My suggestion is get some cfl's or go to your local lighting store and ask for a 150W hps ballas and they might even have the bulb to if not homedepot will, it will cost 130$ for the ballas and the bulb.
Or if you don't wont to do that then setup a couple fans but I don't think that will do it!
Dro:cool2:

hah we tested a huge box fan in there with the closet wide open, no luck. So, he's giving me the 400w hps back (I have no use for it) and I will be putting it on ebay soon dirt cheap.

I found him a 150w HPS for under $100 at HTGsupply that I think we're going to try.

Has anyone tried a 150w HPS before? Do they put out a lot of heat? I might order one myself to add to a different setup. We looked at 75 and below HPS, but they're worthless as far as lumens. at least the 150w puts out 16000 lumens. Should be enough to get a decent amount of coverage with the addition of some CFL's in the color spectrum.

But anyone know what kind of heat we're looking at for the 150W?

md.apothecary said:
hah we tested a huge box fan in there with the closet wide open, no luck. So, he's giving me the 400w hps back (I have no use for it) and I will be putting it on ebay soon dirt cheap.

I found him a 150w HPS for under $100 at HTGsupply that I think we're going to try.

Has anyone tried a 150w HPS before? Do they put out a lot of heat? I might order one myself to add to a different setup. We looked at 75 and below HPS, but they're worthless as far as lumens. at least the 150w puts out 16000 lumens. Should be enough to get a decent amount of coverage with the addition of some CFL's in the color spectrum.

But anyone know what kind of heat we're looking at for the 150W?

I have a 400 watt hps like the one you guys are using and its def. hot. I would suggest looking into fluero's for a grow like this, I would still think that the 150 watt HPS bulb PLUS the balast is going to put out a good amount of heat. Really really look into fluero's I can understand your biast against them as I would also hate to use them as you need so many, but they are very inexpensive (in comparison to HPS/MH), and give off basically no heat. You can EVEN get high lumen output ones.
Like I said I would really suggest reading up a little about fluero's, deciding how many lumens you need for your size grow, check out your local hardware store, and sketch out a plan for the room or box you plan on using. I would still suggest a fan to strengthen the stems but its up to you. Good luck.

If he can't get a fan behind the light to blow on it and out the door he might need to get another light. I have a similar problem but i can leave my door open most the time and get the heat out. :farm: Bud

audix2359 said:
I would suggest going to e-conolight and picking up a 150 watt HPS security light for ~ $40.00 (http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z)

I have a 70 watt MH light and a 70 watt HPS and both are pretty cool. I also keep the ballast out of the grow tub which helps a lot. I can run the 70 watt MH lamp and the temps stay the same as the ambient temps.

what is the temp in your grow tub??

And what do you think about this setup?
http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=49255

I looked at the one in your link for the 150w at $40, but is it a remote ballast? And isn't the reflector rather restrictive as far as where it throws the light?

The reason the flouralux seemed interesting was the ability to force air cool by attaching an optional flange to the hood. I saw no venting options on the $40 one.

i got a 400w mh/hps light and it is in a closet too, thats about 2ft*5ft
to get it cool i just open the closet door during the day and close it up befour the night. its only one plant for now but its going nice

ever try flourescents? you can get a few of those 27 watt bulbs and still get great light for under 100 watts of power, all kinds of colors and no heat.

With the security lights from Econo light, the ballast is attached to the light itself. With my set up, I have the light on top of the grow tub, which is about 2.5 sq ft. I move the plants up and down to get closer to the light. The reflector isn't that great but it seems to be doing the job. You can also remove the ballast from the housing and put it elsewhere if you like. This would allow you to do whatever you wanted with the bulb itself.

Overall, the security lights fit my set up very well. The temps are running at 72F or whatever the room temps are (usually 72).

vitaminwater said:
i had the same issues you are having OP so i just decided to get 2
http://www.ezhydrokit.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=92 blue spectrum lights for veg output = 18k lumens. Then i got 2 of the red spectrum lights for flowering same output of 18 lumens. They are kind of expensive but they give NO HEAT and are extremly powerfull.

Interesting... I never noticed those CFL's before in a 2700k . That's probably the best way for me to go at this point! Good lookin out! I am going to find them somewhere else thoguh, that site looks too shoddy for me.

I have a new question.....

I can get 12 23w 2700k bulbs at a metered 120,000lumens (5" distance) in CFLs WITH a 2ft fixture to hold all 12 for $150.00

Any idea how much heat that will put out?? As much as an HPS? I know a 400w HPS is rated at 120k lumens also, but LOTS of heat...

Anyone?

Latest posts

Back