how can you tell without a microscope?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey PinkPetals, here's my two cents. I realize that the best, most accurate way of knowing when your buds are ripe is by looking at the trichomes, but if you don't have a microscope or a camera, etc., you can simply do as mistisrising suggested. When about 75% of the pistils have turned color and shriveled up, it's a good bet that they're ripe or ripe enough.

Although looking at the trichomes is the preferred method of checking ripeness, Adam and Eve, the cave men and all, simply went by the color of the pistils. In fact, once I've verified ripeness of the first several buds using my microscope, I get a feel for what the buds look like when they're ripe and I simply go by the pistils.

Alistair Young said:
Hey PinkPetals, here's my two cents. I realize that the best, most accurate way of knowing when your buds are ripe is by looking at the trichomes, but if you don't have a microscope or a camera, etc., you can simply do as mistisrising suggested. When about 75% of the pistils have turned color and shriveled up, it's a good bet that they're ripe or ripe enough.

Although looking at the trichomes is the preferred method of checking ripeness, Adam and Eve, the cave men and all, simply went by the color of the pistils. In fact, once I've verified ripeness of the first several buds using my microscope, I get a feel for what the buds look like when they're ripe and I simply go by the pistils.

True enuf, ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL ;)

However, Some strains keep their pistils until past time to harvest. Sativas are notorious for starting a second set of fresh pistils before the trichs are amber :rolleyes:

That said, unless you know the strain you are growing well enuf, your best bet is too taste it :hubba:

Oh wow! I just went outside and tried the reverse binocular trick!! Does it ever work. I wasnt sure if it would but it really magnifies well. Thanks!

• hey allistar, your advice is great, thats what i was looking for, an easy way to tell,,,i'm thinking she's about ready to cut....we tested a bud the other day by quick drying a bud, and it tasted green still but we got a mellow buzz.....a little longer do ya think?;)

pinkpetals61 said:
YEP, why you gotta go and hate on me? i try to give a sincere thanks and that is your response? our halloween party is a yearly thing, its byob and hot dogs and sloppy joe...give me a break.:ignore:
Even when you're broke, a party once in a while is good for your mental health. Ya gotta live, right.

Lol, the last post here was over 2 months ago man! :holysheep:

Sorry about that unintentional bump. I had started reading from a list of one particular eccentric member's posts and forgot I was into old threads. I might have been stoned. :rolleyes:

I'm glad this popped up again. In addition to just looking at the pistils; which can be deceptive, you can harvest when the calyxs have swelled up. When all your pods start to swell, your plant is nearing the end of it's life cycle. This method shouldn't be deceptive. It's just what happens. I can't think of any reasonable explination for the pods to swell up without the plant being ripe for consumption.

I looked at mine one day in horror. They had fattened up so much since the last time I looked closely, I thought they had seeds. But when I squeezed one, all I got was wonderful finger goo.

Slartibartfast said:
I looked at mine one day in horror. They had fattened up so much since the last time I looked closely, I thought they had seeds. But when I squeezed one, all I got was wonderful finger goo.

:eek: ...we are talking about your plants here, aren't we?

It was an AK-48 Incica I grew summer 2007. The pics are in a link in the first post of my journal (my 08 sig below). That was quite a weed.

True imager777 they do normally swell late in flower, but some will start and deceive you when you have like 4 weeks left. You just haven't realized that because you didn't wait. If you so wait you might sometimes see crazy things, they can fatten up like crazy, Become closer to prime THC content, and even change colors! The ONLY way is experience with the strain. Use trich color to help you, use calyxes swelling to help you, use it all. The only way to ever know for sure is experience.

Mine are only slightly cloudy, but hanging in there with no fertilzer, or pest control. I was going to put some on but I thought they were close to done.
A little snip off your plant and quick dry will tell you how good the buzz might be. I'm sort of slipping into "grip the arm of your chair, coma type buzz", where you gradually become alert 4 hours later.! Lets see some more early tasting reports everybody!

DSCN1397.JPG

DSCN1407.JPG

DSCN1411.JPG

so guys...sorry i havent checked in for a while...but get this..i went with the method of checking for pistol color and WOW...i mean WOW...it really worked...my margaret was the talk of the town...lol.
well not the town, but the talk of my friends. we had a blast..literally..at the halloween party..i cant believe i had such success on my first try. i couldna done it without you...even my stupid mistakes didnt prevent margaret from reaching her full potential...lol...i didnt really get much weight wize, about an ounce, but her potency was awesome..we are still calling her margaret and having fun with that..as in...lets party with margaret...or..would you like ta meet margaret?...ya know? lol. we've even gone so far as to name our bowl sally..so we can party with margaret and sally...lmao...ok, i'm a little buzzed and feeling silly..thanks to everyone who was a help to me...:D ..I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!! LOL

:D.. say "hi" to margaret n sally for us! ;)

Latest posts

Back