How do I get rid of gnats flying around potting soil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Albert

Reaction score
Please share your views - How do you get rid of fungus gnat larvae in the potting soil of an indoor plant?

You could add predator bugs like nematodes or ladybugs. I used sticky traps.

I tried cinnamon and DE. They are messy and IMHO useless af for gnats.

Please share your views - How do you get rid of fungus gnat larvae in the potting soil of an indoor plant?
If you don’t have many, one of these yellow sticky things hanging or stuck in the soil works for me.
752EF659-71BD-4A52-8810-DC710F0EB005.jpeg

You could add predator bugs like nematodes or ladybugs. I used sticky traps.

I tried cinnamon and DE. They are messy and IMHO useless af for gnats.
I like the idea of ladybugs but I can see them everywhere in my house which I don’t really mind I don’t think but am not exactly sure how I would feel about it. Hatched praying mantis in the house several years for my garden. Didn’t realize that they would escape the bug box when they hatched. Came home to what looked like thousands all over my kitchen table and everywhere else I’m sure. Found those little critters for weeks here and there. My husband hated my mantis hobby because I would keep a few in a box and on my screened in porch and feed them fly larvae and bugs and small baby frogs in my yard. I actually was able to make more egg pods for the next round of mantis. Maybe Bubba will chime in as he just turned loose thousands of lady bugs in his tent. Maybe he is seeing them around his house. I think they are good luck maybe 😎
https://usmantis.com/blogs/news/pes...reenhouse-grow-rooms-recent-study-news-update

I use yellow fly swatters with petroleum jelly on the swatter. The holes in the swatter fills with the petroleum. I cut the handle off about 2inches from the end and stick it in the pot.
Easy to clean and re-use.

Do these products have a smell?

not particularly , I assume you are trying to keep the odors down?

i have used these in emergencies but I don’t really recommend them to inexperienced growers

but yeah , we also hang several strips of fly paper n the veg room , and check them for bugs and go from there

E875CD0C-EB3B-4654-A177-E2F99CB02A0F.jpeg

Not sure about those but Petroleum jelly has no smell and is not toxic. It simply causes them to get stuck and die. That's why I use the fly swatters. Plus they are easy to clean and use again or put up.

1. Sticky traps in clone or seed.
2. No pest strips in veg.
3. Mosquito bits (BTI) in a pantyhose floating in the reservoir.
4. Azamax root drench (0.8 oz/gal) apply when lights are off for an hour, let sit 1 hour, flush well. The azadiactrin (sp?) from neem will kill the larvae and will help the plant temporarily with chelating.

I never had any luck with the mosquito dunk stuff. The DE is a double edged sword. It cuts up the larva and the adults, but inhaled, it cuts up your lungs, too.
Gnats will easily become immune to BTI if you run the dunks for years. Ive seen it. I moved to an azamax root drench. one time in late veg is all you really need.

I bought some off brand soil to supplement my last bag of ffof once. I knew that soil smelled off but figured WTH. My mistake. So from that experience Ive learned this.
They are more of a nuisance than a threat as long as you take a few steps to control them. Yellow sticky traps, let the soil get nice and dry between waterings. Ditch the soil you're using as soon as the grow is done and dont buy that brand or source again. Thats it.

Good luck.

Elwood

not particularly , I assume you are trying to keep the odors down?

i have used these in emergencies but I don’t really recommend them to inexperienced growers

but yeah , we also hang several strips of fly paper n the veg room , and check them for bugs and go from there

View attachment 290015
i just don’t want the tent to smell like nothing but weed when I open it no buggy stuff. I don’t have a big problem with them but do see one now and then flying around. My sticky yellow butterfly catches a few.

i just don’t want the tent to smell like nothing but weed when I open it no buggy stuff. I don’t have a big problem with them but do see one now and then flying around. My sticky yellow butterfly catches a few.

for just a few bugs the sticky fly traps work great

i quit using those jiffy pot plugs cause evertime I used them I got thrips of fungus gnats

nothing but grow plugs now

We have talked about gnats before because I had them once. They get into the wood used in some soils. They add mulch to some soils. I have bought soil with gnats in it. It had been outside, but I don't think that mattered. The more mulch the worse the gnats were.

I think they sell it premixed, I get the kind you mix with water.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back