How do u flush your plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluntFullOfKush

I smell SMOKE!!!!!
Reaction score
How do you flush your plants of all the left over nutes? Im about week 5 of flowering and i plained on doing that around the 2nd to last week of flowering.

BluntFullOfKush said:
How do you flush your plants of all the left over nutes? Im about week 5 of flowering and i plained on doing that around the 2nd to last week of flowering.
For every gallon of dirt you flush 3 gallons of water. So if you have your ladies in 3 gallon pots you flush 9 gallons of water through it. ;)

Should it be flushed with the same water it has been drinking it's whole life?

frankpeterson said:
Should it be flushed with the same water it has been drinking it's whole life?
Flush it with regular PH balanced water.

What I normally do is put the container under my washroom faucet and I have a braided supply line hose and attach this to the faucet. I turn on the faucet just so the run off and fill are equal and run this for a coulple of minuets.

Works for me.

I have 3 gallon pots and flush with 7-8 gallons (after about 3 gallons it is already running clear). But I also use Botanicare CLEAREX. Good stuff! :bong1:

schlendrake said:
What I normally do is put the container under my washroom faucet and I have a braided supply line hose and attach this to the faucet. I turn on the faucet just so the run off and fill are equal and run this for a coulple of minuets.

Works for me.

If your ph level is not off too much this would be a fine way of doing it.

so to flush i basically just pour 3gallons of water for every gallon of soil? wont this be overwatering? i'm confused..plz help!

Agent Orange said:
so to flush i basically just pour 3gallons of water for every gallon of soil? wont this be overwatering? i'm confused..plz help!
You got it. ;) In a way it is but all the water is coming out the bottom so in a way it isn't. We do it all the time and it doesn't bother the plants at all. You just don't have to water them again for awhile.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
You got it. ;) In a way it is but all the water is coming out the bottom so in a way it isn't. We do it all the time and it doesn't bother the plants at all. You just don't have to water them again for awhile.
Oh, Ok. Now I understand, thanks!

as long as you have good drainage...

Sorry to bud in, but how often should you flush? Say after you nute four times for example, or six? Or is there a method to tell when to flush.

i now you flush before harvest

i do mines when i change light cycle and when there is a Ph problem or over nut

Crazy Horse said:
Sorry to bud in, but how often should you flush? Say after you nute four times for example, or six? Or is there a method to tell when to flush.

Alot of mixed opinions out there...many flush religously...like every 2 or 3 weeks...I don't. IMO flushing is just for fixing an overfertilized situation...it shouldn't be thought of necessary.

Flushing before harvest is quite a different thing...usually it is started a week or 2 before proposed harvest date and does not necessarily require a full 3 gallons water per gallon soil. It is just to allow her use up any stored nutrients or excess in soil. Most just use ph ajusted water, some use molasses, clearex, florakleen etc. IMO, you shouldn't switch immmediately to water from straight full strength bloom ferts though, gradually decrease ferts until she only gets water for a week or so.

Low stress is what we want...happy plants make happy growers.;)

The only time I flush is when there is a problem. I never do it prior to harvest only because 2 weeks prior I start with just plain waterings, no nutes, with personal satisfactory results.

Maintenance flush

There's a reason to do it in hydro.

Hydro uses non-organic material that creates an ionic bond with ferts. Over time inorganic salts accumulate on the surface. That will happen over time even with low strength and high solubility nutes (like I use).

Water is a solvent. It washes all that stuff away. If you don't you have you'll have increasingly less surface area.

Also inorganic salts accumulate in water as time goes on. The plant can't use 'em so your water concentration goes up and up but with less useful stuff in it.

I was taught that flushing once a week is important. I pretty much have adhered to it. When I forget I notice b/c the growth slows down.

You just change out the water and flush for an hour or so. Drain and restart nutes.

Dirt I tend to agree. I'm going to try not flushing my soil grow unless I get nute imbalances/overloads, although I wonder if inorganic salts build up there as well.

Finishing Flush

EM good point about reducing nutes before flush. She should not be needing full str at this point.

Hydro flush can be half the time of dirt (1 week vs 2). I do it like this; Empty bucket. Give fresh water flush 24 hours. Empty bucket. Give water + flavoring (molasses or bananamana) flush for one week. Add more water/flavoring as levels decrease.

Dirt I'll probably follow someone else's advice LOL.

ole hick and I have had this debate a couple of times, regarding "organic" and "synthetic" growing in regards to flushing.
1. chemical ferts, whether soil or hydro will cause a salt buildup that can make the smoke harsh. Needs a flush IMHO
2. Organic there are people that swear by both flushing and not flushing. IMHO if it's potted and not receiving natures natural "leaching" effect, then flushing would be a good idea just to "clean" the gunk out.

So I beleive in a good flush 1-2 weeks prior to harvest. but thats just me.

Latest posts

Back