HPS lamp question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlo

Reaction score
Hello All,

I grow out of a 2 1/2 by 7 1/2 size closet. I use (2) 400 watt lamps but I struggle to maintain low temperatures, especially approaching the heat months.

I'm considering using (1) 1000 watt hps lamp instead to increase the lumen. Is this a good idea?

I was considering bringing the plants out in to the center of the room, and hanging the (2) 400 watt lamps and (1) 1000 watt lamp.

I would not use the entire room (10 x 8 approx. size room) and enclose the grow area within the room with mylar. I would to this to increase the lumen greatly and to increase amount of plants. I have a 6-inch inline big boy fan with filter in the room.

Or with these 3 lamps, not enclose any area within room and just use the entire room.

Do any of these ideas sound good? Or just keep in closet with the (2) 400 watt lamps.? Considering the heat problems also.

With the heat, I'm going to experiment growing by night and see how much it helps with lowering the temperature.

Thanks,

are you using aircooled hoods or just extracting the air from the room?

i would rather use 2x 600 watt in there but if you having problems keeping 2x 400s cool i dont see it working.

i would look into better ventilation before upgrading or changing the lights themselves.

the center of room idea sounds like itll work out well when adding the 100wat alos, but are you going to be able to keep that cool?

me personaly have the lights off during the hottest parts of the day to mange my temps, so they run usally 12am to 12pm ;)

You think it would be better to run (2) 600 watt lamps in my closet? What if I just placed (1) 1000 watt lamp in there and used an aircooled hood? Maybe that and growing at night would would reduce temps, while greatly increasing lumen. I can fit about 10 plants.

Better ventilation? As in what? I already have a 6-inch inline fan going to extract from room. It seems to be doing good. What else could be done?

As for growing at night, I'm considering the 7pm-7am schedule once it heats up which should be in about 1 month.

I wouldn't put a single light in there. Even with a 1000W you are not going to get good light to the ends of the space--7-1/2' is just too far. I would advise getting air cooled hoods and, yes, running your lights at night will really help with the heat. I always run my lights at night during the summer.

I be runnin my lights at night too as well as my shine ifin yual knows what I mean. ;) Much luck with your grow partner hopin the trail leads yual well.

BWD

I agree with 2 lights air cooled. The two points of light help to light up areas that may be blocked when using one light source.

Cant feature your exact setup but 1 1000w with a fan in the entry passive intake cooled on my room fine on a 12 x 15 room in the basement with no external exaust. My opinion do the room forget the closet. You may also consider running bare vertical bulbs with no hoods as they retain a huge amount of heat and see what happens.

Went up to two 1000w lamps and temps went thrue the roof. Had to install a exaust outside the house to keep two cooled with a 8 inch fan on cooltubes.

You could cover that room area with a rail and 2 1000w lamps as long as your exaust is setup right especially since your not going to use the whole room. 2 600w would run more efficient but dont have the canopy penetration if your plants are huge that the 1000,s have.

I then went up to 2 1000w and 2 600w lamps but increased exhaust with this big boy 1860cfm exhaust. Lots of options hoods, differant light patterns ect.

You may just squeek by if you had two 400's end to end on the room but on a rail would be even better side by side but even with the right exaust your probably going to be within five degrees of the ambient room temp.

You gotta exaust that heat faster than the lights are putting it out. You not only have the lamp heat but also the radiant heat from the lamps trying to heat the room.

Last two options install a cold air intake from outside

Or its time to think about a air conditioner on the room then all the heat problems just disappear.

Cheers
t6

I decided to move the plants from out of the closet and in to the middle of the room. Instead of the (2) 400 watt hps lamps, i installed (1) 1000 watt hps lamp. I bought a 6-inch xxxl aircooled hood. I'm using a 6 inch inline fan with charcoal filter that is cooling the lamp and taking the room air to outside. I'm pretty glad I decided to make the changes.

I am now fitting 14 plants directly under the hood. Maybe 2 or 3 more could be squeezed into the area. The glass on the hood does not feel warm at all. The temperature in the room has fallen from 80 degrees to about 74-76 degrees throughout the day....I'm still considering switching to nights once the heat arrives.

Hopefully my buds become denser, tastier, and more potent. I appreciate the feedback I was given.

You need to get some kind of enclosure up to help contain your light and reflect it back. Something no larger than 30 sq ft. Now with no walls, you are basically using a 1000W (good for 30 sq ft max) to light 80 sq ft as the light disburses throughout the entire room. This is not going to give you the denser, more potent buds you want. You are basically grossly underlit. Also remember that more plants does not translate to more bud. I cannot image having 14-17 plants in a 30 sq ft space unless you are doing a SOG.

I did enclose the area by using pieces of 3 ft. tall cardboard that has mylar attached to enclosed the area...area being about 5x5, no larger than 6x6. I use 5-gallon orange buckets that I buy from H.D. to grow my plants. 14 buckets fit directly under the hood and all appear to be receiving very good light. The over-sized hood was one of the largest hoods I've seen. I'm not doing SOG. Hopefully this works. I'll let you guys know in about 9 weeks.

This Room is 12 x 15. The Center planting area is 40 plants in 10 gallon tubs centered in the room. So the tub area alone is aproximately 11 x 5 coverage on the start of plant. There are 2 1000w lamps running on a rail and a 600w on the end to cover the last tub.

As you can see the room which would be 180 square feet total area after the grow gets going entirely fills the room. Plenty of light coverage and the buds were awesome on finish

Cheers t6

73_0131.jpg

39_002.jpg

Imagine how awesome those buds would have been in a properly lit room, T6. Not putting your grow down in any way, just saying...those look great.

Well I thought it was lit pretty well considering it was just about 2 ounces per plant and I will take that. Filled my weed room storage shelfs ha ha :D

t6

Latest posts

Back