i got a question or 2 about yield

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ta2dguy

Reaction score
i hear alot of people use 1/2 gram per watt and 3/4 gram per watt and such and i am just wondering if this only covers the watts used by the lights to flower or does it include vegging watts and cloning watts as well? how about fan and dehumidifier watts?? where do they fit in? how long is the veg cycle on that estimate. for instance, if i grow plants for 2 months and then flower them can i use the same formula as if i only veg them a week and then flower?? sorry for the stupid questions but i cant wrap my head around this yet, need it laid out a bit different maybe.

happy growing.

one 1000 watt lamp produces one pound..
1 lb=448 grams, divided by 1k = .448 grams per watt :)

when they say xgrams/watt it means the light used for flowering but this depends on many factors, every strain yields different, the bigger the plant the more root structure the more the yield so if you veg longer you yield more except if you veg for too long causing the plants to overgrow the area and then the light would be insufficient so you will yield less. in short to yield the maximum potential of any strain you need to have light, enviroment, and fertilizing perfectly dialed and you need to know when you should start flowering according to size of plants and lumens of flowering light

There is a point of diminishing returns. many folks shoot for 1 gram/w. And while it is possible with a 600w or even a 1000w lamp, to scale it up does not produce the same ratio. Yield imo requires growing the same strain numerous times in order to dial it in fully.

thanks hick but i already know math, i was wondering what watts were used to calculate the 1/2 gram per watt. wondering where the cloning and veg watts went.... and where i come from there is 453.6(rounded up to 454) grams in a pound not 448.

zem, thank you. that does help me understand a bit better. i guess all the other watts used are rolled into the watts used to flower huh. o well i guess i shoot for 1/2 gram (or better)per watt used for flowering. i appreciate your explanation.

umbra, thanks for your time and input.

happy growing.

dont know how acurate my way is but weigh your dry bud and devide by amount of light wattage you using. last grow worked out to be 840 gram divided by 1200 watts = 0.7 gram per watt, personally i think the numbers sound right. (had 6 plants in coco.

ta2... I simply gave you an example of how "grams per watt" is calculated.. the answer you were looking for, I might add
fans, pumps, humidifiers, vegging watts, ect. are NOT included the equation

ta2dguy said:
thanks hick but i already know math, i was wondering what watts were used to calculate the 1/2 gram per watt. wondering where the cloning and veg watts went.... and where i come from there is 453.6(rounded up to 454) grams in a pound not 448.

zem, thank you. that does help me understand a bit better. i guess all the other watts used are rolled into the watts used to flower huh. o well i guess i shoot for 1/2 gram (or better)per watt used for flowering. i appreciate your explanation.

umbra, thanks for your time and input.

happy growing.

No offense meant here but...a dope pound is rounded to 28 grams and not 28.32g and a dope pound is 448g and not 454g.

Latest posts

Back