I just almost set my home on fire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopsie

Reaction score
You guys, I feel sooooo stupid right now, and I am shaking like a leaf. I just got my 400 watt HID light, and in less than 5 minutes I almost started a fire. I was trying to figure out how I wanted to hang it, and the bulb touched the socket cord and started melting onto the bulb and smoking. Oh God, I almost died! And I feel like such a moron. And I am never lighting that thing up again. It started hissing like it was about to explode.:cry:

if you don't want to replace the cord you can just cut out the part that has been burned. slice back the outer insulation and the wires in the inside should be color coded. reattach with wire nuts and then cover in electrical tape. i then like to fold the wire in half right there to make a loop and put a zip tie around it so the pressure isn't on the wire nuts. if you do replace the wire make sure you use the same gauge wire as it currently is. glad your ok, be careful.

The cord didn't melt down to the wire. It's barely melted, but what melted onto the bulb started smoking. The middle part of the bulb looked like it was about to explode into flames. I don't ever want to plug that light in again.

poopsie said:
The cord didn't melt down to the wire. It's barely melted, but what melted onto the bulb started smoking. The middle part of the bulb looked like it was about to explode into flames. I don't ever want to plug that light in again.

Ive done the same, just clean off all the black stuff. If the outer bulb is not cracked it will be fine.

poopsie said:
The middle part of the bulb looked like it was about to explode into flames. I don't ever want to plug that light in again.

What exactly do you mean when you say that "it looked like it was about to explode into flames"? Do you know what a HPS normally looks like when it is lit? It is quite different than incandescent bulbs. I cannot imagine that the bulb would be damaged, especially since it didn't even burn through the insulation.

poopsie said:
I don't ever want to plug that light in again.

....I agree,,,you should get 1k watter instead....:hubba:

seriously,,,im sure its fine...just remove any foreign matter from the bulb and plug it back up....just stand behind a door when you do it....:p

I would just buy a new bulb poopsie. So you are out the money for a new bulb, no big deal. That bulb is going to get so hot when it runs, they all do, and if you have any residue on it at all it could be a problem; you would be picking glass out of your room for a month. Don't be nervous about the light just get another bulb.

poopsie said:
The middle part of the bulb looked like it was about to explode into flames. I don't ever want to plug that light in again.

Give yourself a day to relax man. Replace the bulb and do what Hippy said - put it all in place before turning it on ;)

It's a MH, but no I don't know what either one normally looks like when lit. I didn't even know the bulb was going to be so huge. But what I meant was, there is this part in the middle that looks like it has liquid in it, and when I unplugged the ballast the middle looked filled with a red hot flame. It's possible that was a panic-stricken assessment. The bulb now has a smudge of black plastic that has hardened onto the glass.

The Hemp Goddess said:
What exactly do you mean when you say that "it looked like it was about to explode into flames"? Do you know what a HPS normally looks like when it is lit? It is quite different than incandescent bulbs. I cannot imagine that the bulb would be damaged, especially since it didn't even burn through the insulation.

godspeedsuckah said:
I would just buy a new bulb poopsie. So you are out the money for a new bulb, no big deal. That bulb is going to get so hot when it runs, they all do, and if you have any residue on it at all it could be a problem; you would be picking glass out of your room for a month. Don't be nervous about the light just get another bulb.
Yeah, I would sooner buy another bulb, because I don't think I'm capable of getting that plastic off without something even worse happening.

Thanks for the generous encouragement. :)

THCPezDispenser said:
Give yourself a day to relax man. Replace the bulb and do what Hippy said - put it all in place before turning it on ;)

Thanks. Yeah, maybe I should just give it a day. I don't know what to do. I was so excited when I got my light, and now I just feel like I'm going to set the place on fire. I was trying to set it up in my closet, but maybe I need to stick to something more in the open.

poopsie said:
It's a MH, but no I don't know what either one normally looks like when lit. I didn't even know the bulb was going to be so huge. But what I meant was, there is this part in the middle that looks like it has liquid in it, and when I unplugged the ballast the middle looked filled with a red hot flame. It's possible that was a panic-stricken assessment. The bulb now has a smudge of black plastic that has hardened onto the glass.

When plastic melts onto glass, it is generally easy to get off. However, if you cannot get the foreign debris off the bulb, I would purchase another.

If your grow space is not protected with a GFI, now is the time to make it so. This is the kind of accident that a GFI is meant to deal with.

Yeah, the center of HID bulbs can have kind of a red hot flame glow, but you were panicked, as it's not that scary :). LOL--a 400W does look pretty huge the first time you see one.

Poopsie..glad to hear you okay..I say get a new bulb and do as HIE said..and when HD lights first turn on they call it "fire up"..its just that it starts looking like a fire and then gets brighter and brighter..Just wait till you use HPS..lol..and Lesson learned right? take care and be safe..and if you still dont want that light..I will take it..thanks

Latest posts

Back