I just almost set my home on fire.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smokingjoe said:
THG what's a GFI?
I just googled it, and I think she means Ground Fault Interrupters which are those outlets that have test and reset buttons. I thought the ballast already had that, because it has a reset button on the back, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have two.

I did notice that the plastic scratches off easily with my fingernail, so I might try cleaning it off.

poopsie said:
I just googled it, and I think she means Ground Fault Interrupters which are those outlets that have test and reset buttons. I thought the ballast already had that, because it has a reset button on the back, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have two.

I did notice that the plastic scratches off easily with my fingernail, so I might try cleaning it off.

Yes, it is a ground fault interrupter. A reset button (like on an appliance) and a GFI are usually quite different things. A GFI protects all outlets on the same circuit that are beyond the GFI (you would want the first outlet on your circuit to be the GFI). GFIs are required in all bathrooms, kitchens, and other wet locations. The immediately cut the power should something "short out".

If you can clean the plastic off the bulb, I think it will be okay.

If you are that worried, just buy a new bulb, and a new cord. Youll spend 100-120 bucks, but you won't have to worry then. Consider it a lesson learned, set the bulb before firing it up.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Yes, it is a ground fault interrupter. A reset button (like on an appliance) and a GFI are usually quite different things. A GFI protects all outlets on the same circuit that are beyond the GFI (you would want the first outlet on your circuit to be the GFI). GFIs are required in all bathrooms, kitchens, and other wet locations. The immediately cut the power should something "short out".

If you can clean the plastic off the bulb, I think it will be okay.

I Googled it but didn't return any results.

We have to have the whole house protected by Safety Switches (earth leakage detectors) here; which I presume are a similar animal.

Latest posts

Back