I sampled my grow for the first time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Mcpotster

my bone marrow is resin
Reaction score
I'm getting close to harvest. I think, lol. I have checked in several places and see some clear, mostly cloudy and a touch of amber. I don't see amber everywhere though. I don't have the cahones to take any upper buds. I have many (too many) popcorn buds down below the canopy. How often should I trim a leaf off to check under the microscope? will they change quickly? Its day 61 today. They are either speed queen or satori. Here's a couple of pics from yesterday.

I have a Radio shack scope but its hard to hold steady to get a good view of the trichs. I hate to cut blades off to look at every day. After a quick dry, the smaller little lower buds do the job. I gotta say it tastes pretty good for being cut yesterday.

DSC00872.JPG

DSC00873.JPG

Smokey Mcpotster said:
I have a Radio shack scope but its hard to hold steady to get a good view of the trichs. I hate to cut blades off to look at every day. After a quick dry, the smaller little lower buds do the job. I gotta say it tastes pretty good for being cut yesterday.

I just place the scope right on the bud then focus.

Growdude, I can do that on the top but getting to the middle of the bud takes one hand to hold the branch and one to use the scope. It's my first grow, plants are too big to handle easily. Pretty much the size of bushes in my yard lol. I don't think I'll have the same issues on my next grow. Heres a pic of a calyx that is pretty swollen.

DSC00879.JPG

The top will mostly finish first. Check the top, when top done, give popcorn buds a few extra days to finish. No need to check bottom for trics

those are great shots smokey, well done. i myself would have that hanging and drying but that is because i see a few clear, alot of cloudy and more amber than clear.... to me that is perfect picking time. it will ripen just a bit more after picking as well so i guess it all depends on the buzz you want now but you are soon gonna be into couchlock territory, which isnt a bad thing either. you will soon be smoking some one way or the other. happy growing.

I agree she's really close to where I would be picking...I'd give it a couple days until I saw 30% amber...but everyone likes their weed a different way. Congrats man!

There is something special about smoking weed you grew yourself ;)

Smokey Mcpotster said:
I'm getting close to harvest. I think, lol. I have checked in several places and see some clear, mostly cloudy and a touch of amber. I don't see amber everywhere though. I don't have the cahones to take any upper buds. I have many (too many) popcorn buds down below the canopy. How often should I trim a leaf off to check under the microscope? will they change quickly? Its day 61 today. They are either speed queen or satori. Here's a couple of pics from yesterday.

Hello Smokey :)

You say 61 days, but most of your Trichomes are clear, this makes me wonder when you started counting the days.

Was it from showing sex or from the first time of bud growth?

Are the pictures of the trich from the popcorn only?

If so, there is no other choice but to snip a bit of top cola bud leaf to have a look, that and only that is your guide.

:peace:

I just take a small leaf off of the most mature looking bud and look at my desk...way easier...

2Dog said:
I just take a small leaf off of the most mature looking bud and look at my desk...way easier...

Me to, it's too hard to try and do it bent over the plant, and sticking your scope up close to the bud etc. I take 2 or 3 samples from different parts of each plant

I do it like 2Dog and LF; I can't steady that little scope on a live plant.

HippyinEngland, so when should the official count down start? From the day you switch to 12-12, or when you first showing sex, which in my experience is maybe a week after the switch?

Yeah guys it's a greaaaaatttttt feeling to be smoking what I grew. I've been worried about an early harvest. Being too cautious maybe. Thanks everyone, most of all for all the help you guys/gals post on here. Not many questions left to ask.

Hippy your posts always make me go hmmmmmmmmmm.. lol in a good way. They did have preflowers about 10-14 days before I put them under 12/12, maybe a bit longer. I started counting flower time from the day they went to 12/12 11-29 was day 1.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble with checking trichs on the plant. I can, it's just hard to get a good count on %'s of clear, cloudy and amber.
I will take a few more samples from different locations, lights come on in half an hour. I'll get some more shots under the microscope and put them up.
I feel like I'm 5yrs old on christmas eve. lmao. I cant wait to get the clones going. These plants were way to big to be manageable.:p

Oh and HIE the pics in the first post were from leaves a few inches down from the top of the buds. I have 4-5 small colas on each plant I'll check each one to see how they compare.

You mat wanna try setting the scope at it's highest magnifacation and move your head in and out till ya get a focus shot.

Latest posts

Back