I think 1 out of 21, :coughs:, 1 out of 31 qualifies me as WORST GROWER ever.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cesar Chavez

Reaction score
Well whoever said, 'beginner's luck is on your side', wasn't really talking about me. Want the short version? Ok, ordered 21 beans from Attitude, scarified them, soaked seeds for 18 hours, then did the whole paper towel method. Everything went smoothly up until this point, but the rest, for the most part, did not go as planned. While trying carefully to transplant them into rapid rooters, I broke tap roots, snapped seedling heads, and did my best to cram the sprouts down into open shoots in the middle of the RR. Placed them in a GrowLab 80L with a 4" T5 with 6500k bulbs, put on a humidity dome, and 9 days later, 1/21 :-( . To be quite honest, it's actually 1/31. I had bag beans that I totally fried while trying to use a propagation mat; I used it improperly. I can almost say with certaintity that the reason the second batch, the 21, did not go because of the above stated reasons, and a huge lack of control of my growtent heat in the begining(some temps reaching 100+). I have sense solved the temp issues(82 during day lights of 18/6, and 73ish while dark), but after opening up a few of the RR, they look as if I planted them yesterday. Should I just use soil(FFOF/Lightwarrior), or can someone with germing with RR knowledge step me through transplanting process? I just scarified and soaked 2 more beans so need to figure things out in the nest 18 hours or so. I have both mediums on hand. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW. BIG thanks to Oregon Bob and The Hemp Goddess for their light feedback.

Germinate your seeds like you did before until your see a root showing that is 5mm long, do not break the tap root (The bit that comes out of the seed).

Get a pot, put the seed with the root pointing down 5mm under the surface, water, leave for 3 days.

You will have a seedling growing ;)

:peace:

idk but ive up to this very day used peat pellets to germ all my seeds. no soakin no scarifyin them no papertowel nothin just soak the pellet and plop goes in the bean an but a couple days later, VIOLA! so far 100% success on every seed other than the shwag seed i have attempted. all my quality beans from good nugs i get from frenz all have sprouted always for me this way.
is there a reason for all these diff germ method, am i missin sometin? or is it that lucks just on my side?
oh i may use an old waterbed heater matt/pad if im not germin seeds in my veg cab wit other plants to give it some heat an just set on shelf in fron my window facin south til the poke roots out sides an i pot them .

Its just different ways to the same goal ZIP.

What works for me wont work for everyone.

The same as all the other ways people do it.

I used to use the paper towel but found that soaking them in a cup for 48-72 hours was easier, just left them alone and forget about them.

Some use a heated mat or put them on something warm.

At the end of the day the seeds only needs 1 thing to germinate.

Water.

:peace:

thanx hip. i thought maybe i overlooked some reasons for...... was all.
At the end of the day the seeds only needs 1 thing to germinate.

Water.
thats same as i always thought .

I'm a newb but I maybe got lucky with germination.

I put them in a paper towel, got a big zipbag, put them in there, blew some air in and zipped it. After that I placed it behind my laptop's cooler so warm air would blow on the bag.

Before this I tryed the soaking thing but for me it didn't work.

I'm in no place to recomend anything but I told you what got me best results.

Sounds to me that maybe u put the cart before the horse on this one...slow down, take a large bong rip:bong: , and start back from square one...do some reading in our resource section http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396, it has loads of wonderful information that is priceless...and dont buy anymore seeds until you have your technique down...i am on my second round and i still havnt bought any seeds....mess around with bag seed until you know you have it down...I personally dont like the idea of throwing money away so i will keep running with bag seed until i grow some awesome plants...then i will invest in some good strains...i will say this though, what you have done is all part of the process, lose a few and figure out why then dont do that again....hope that helps a little....

Sounds to me that maybe u put the cart before the horse on this one...slow down,
how that lol. he/she(?) is only germinating seeds so far.

i too feel i did this tho at time . but how else ya really gonna lern anythin unless ya get ya hands dirty in it , i say...
i just read as i went along. granted i could have reserched in the begin of soils to use nutes all that etc. but for bein a beginner i say do ya best tibby as far as keepin up on ya reading and info on here before you do things. liek try to reserch things that comin up . like say when ya beans in germ i'd be reserchin things like soils pot size vegin time lightin etc. and while in veg do ya homework on flowering as well as wats happenin now(atm) justto stay on top things.
good luck tibby.

Well, i think maybe this is the best piece of advice that i can offer to anyone in any situation like this...

My first mistake was trying to grow plants, i did everything that i could which turned out to be to much in the end...

I stepped back and took a good look and this is what i decided...instead of trying to grow plants, i let the plants grow themselves and just gave them whatever help i could...but the hardest part of this is just letting them grow and not messing with them, lol....they will tell you what they need, all you have to do is learn to listen......peace and heres some green mojo for ya...:peace:

Oh ya, and have a bunch of rockin folks like the ones here at MP to guide ya along the way too...:D

all you have to do is learn to listen
but too also use your own educated discretion wit wat you listen to as well. as some people on here do things under certain conditions which may not be same as yours an work for you as well. but yes lots of readin and more reading an more then some more... lol but always take advice wit a grain of salt no matter who it from really. ya gotta lern to spectate some advice on your own as well. jmo.

Reactions: Six
for ex. "hey . its really good to water your plants with bleach water when flushing..." im jokin tho. lol but if you just listen and not discreess you'll only be settin up for failur as well.

zipflip said:
for ex. "hey . its really good to water your plants with bleach water when flushing..." im jokin tho. lol but if you just listen and not discreess you'll only be settin up for failur as well.

I hear ya zip but actually i meant listen to the plants...all the books ive read and all the advice ive received all points towards the plant and what shes telling you...if you learn to speak the language of the ganja plant, she will tell you what she wants, lol.....once you learn the language, you've got it...for example, if i posted on here and said my plants have weird brown spots on the leaves and you post back and tell me that its a magnesium deficiancy, then you have taught me what the plant is telling me, then next time i already know what she is saying and i dont have to ask, ya feelin me....thats why reading is so helpful, or atleast it was for me...i read 4 books on it before i even germed my first seed...and then i found you guys to help me along to...

I definately agree with ya on the grain of salt though because not everyone is well versed in the language of the ganja, lol...have to be carefull....

Good Morning! Thanks to all who responded to my post. Just wanted to update you all on my progress. I went ahead and followed JBonez thread, 'How to germinate in Soil with MH 100% success', to a T; with the exception being T5 versus MH. Now I guess I sit tight and cross my fingers. I did take plenty of pictures if anyone wants to see. My light is 18 inches from top of soil, and my light meter reads in the 6. area. Temperature is 78-81 during 18 hour day, and 72-74 during 6 hour night.

Rockster said:
Na,even better,don't risk damaging your fragile seeds and plant them as nature intended,into the compost directly.

Easier use a rookwool cube! Then you can pot that on no probs.

or cheaper yet. you can find peat pelets almost everywhere wit garden center on clearance right bout now. i just got over 200 of them for under 6 bux. which should last e well over a year. LOL.
stock up when things clearanced out . you'll be glad ya did. they're seasonal items. just liek holiday crap in stores it all goes on clearance soon after the times over.

Six said:
I hear ya zip but actually i meant listen to the plants...all the books ive read and all the advice ive received all points towards the plant and what shes telling you...if you learn to speak the language of the ganja plant, she will tell you what she wants, lol.....once you learn the language, you've got it...for example, if i posted on here and said my plants have weird brown spots on the leaves and you post back and tell me that its a magnesium deficiancy, then you have taught me what the plant is telling me, then next time i already know what she is saying and i dont have to ask, ya feelin me....thats why reading is so helpful, or atleast it was for me...i read 4 books on it before i even germed my first seed...and then i found you guys to help me along to...

I definately agree with ya on the grain of salt though because not everyone is well versed in the language of the ganja, lol...have to be carefull....
for me thats fantastic, "LISTEN TO YOUR PLANTS" now we all know they cant "talk" as we know,but belive they talk! the solar panels will tell you all.. evrything you will ever need to know I also belive 99% of issues are your ENVIROMENT get heat rh rite and all will flourish, proven fact.

zipflip said:

My kind if of humor love it, Bleach! Why does almost every here revert to FLUSH its the last thing I would do, yeild is proof.

Cesar Chavez said:
Well whoever said, 'beginner's luck is on your side', wasn't really talking about me. Want the short version? Ok, ordered 21 beans from Attitude, scarified them, soaked seeds for 18 hours, then did the whole paper towel method. Everything went smoothly up until this point, but the rest, for the most part, did not go as planned. While trying carefully to transplant them into rapid rooters, I broke tap roots, snapped seedling heads, and did my best to cram the sprouts down into open shoots in the middle of the RR. Placed them in a GrowLab 80L with a 4" T5 with 6500k bulbs, put on a humidity dome, and 9 days later, 1/21 :-( . To be quite honest, it's actually 1/31. I had bag beans that I totally fried while trying to use a propagation mat; I used it improperly. I can almost say with certaintity that the reason the second batch, the 21, did not go because of the above stated reasons, and a huge lack of control of my growtent heat in the begining(some temps reaching 100+). I have sense solved the temp issues(82 during day lights of 18/6, and 73ish while dark), but after opening up a few of the RR, they look as if I planted them yesterday. Should I just use soil(FFOF/Lightwarrior), or can someone with germing with RR knowledge step me through transplanting process? I just scarified and soaked 2 more beans so need to figure things out in the nest 18 hours or so. I have both mediums on hand. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

BTW. BIG thanks to Oregon Bob and The Hemp Goddess for their light feedback.

This may be curel, but you are correct 1/31 is very poor in fact its rubbish this so easy to do, embrace nature!

Cover your heat mat with an inch or 2 of sand.

Lose the humidity dome, it's seeds your trying to grow not clones.
Seeds dont need a humidity dome they have a taproot to take up water clones dont, thats why you use a dome when cloning.

Like the fella's said just pop em into soil/coco/rockwoll give them light water and fresh air and they will grow.

Plant the seeds and leave them to do their thing, no offence but you seem to have hands like monkeys feet so you probably should'nt be molesting young seedlings with them:)

Latest posts

Back