Iguana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember reading somewhere I believe in the south where they took a gator in a small lake. They gutted him and found some dog collars inside.The guy wound up calling the owner because of the collar . He said he had take some of his dogs huntin and one never came back . He now, knew why....
That is actually a story I am very familiar with.
All us coonhunters always have brass plates riveted to our dogs collars that have our name and phone # stamped in them.
Then we all started using telemetry tracking systems to follow our hounds.
Nowadays, GPS systems are used.
A hunter lost his dog in a swamp down south, and followed the radio signal to a hole of water, where a fairly good sized gator was found to reside.
The gator was killed, and once gutted, there were half a dozen or so brass name tags discovered in its stomach, which had collected there over the years.
The story was printed in either Full Cry, or the American Cooner, but I don’t remember which one I read it in.

I had a guinea pig once.....could s-hit like a pigeon.
I spit my coffee out LOL
OGC.81fafbb8af4e397dc30663ddad6bd5bb

That is actually a story I am very familiar with.
All us coonhunters always have brass plates riveted to our dogs collars that have our name and phone # stamped in them.
Then we all started using telemetry tracking systems to follow our hounds.
Nowadays, GPS systems are used.
A hunter lost his dog in a swamp down south, and followed the radio signal to a hole of water, where a fairly good sized gator was found to reside.
The gator was killed, and once gutted, there were half a dozen or so brass name tags discovered in its stomach, which had collected there over the years.
The story was printed in either Full Cry, or the American Cooner, but I don’t remember which one I read it in.
@boo kill that Gator

Some true some bullshit. What's a coon dog doing in the water looking for a Fking coon. I have coon hunted many times. The coon are in the trees not the ponds. The only way that would happen is if they were drinking water and got caught off guard.
Fking gator dogs😁

Some true some bullshit. What's a coon dog doing in the water looking for a Fking coon. I have coon hunted many times. The coon are in the trees not the ponds. The only way that would happen is if they were drinking water and got caught off guard.
Fking gator dogs😁
Hounds swim creeks and ponds all the time when they are trailing coons.
One of a coons favorite tricks is to swim across water in hopes of losing his pursuer.
A smart hound will swim a creek and check both sides to find where the coon left the water.
Coons spend a lot of time around water catching frogs and such, and the hounds go where the coons go.
I have also seen coons treed out in flooded timber many times. Dogs will be standing in two feet of water, barking up a tree.

I had two guinea pigs when I was young maybe 10 years old. My mom made me keep them outside but they lived in a sweet giant electric cable spool with wire stapled to it. One day I left the door open (so they say) and my pigs got out and were gone forever. That night, we had rabbit for supper which was very suspicious to me thinking that it could be wee wee and poly on the big dish of meat in front of me. I remember getting punished for refusing to eat the meat that night and had to go to bed early for not appreciating the food that was on our table.
don’t know why that memory came up. Perhaps the gorilla glue. 😜

Hounds swim creeks and ponds all the time when they are trailing coons.
One of a coons favorite tricks is to swim across water in hopes of losing his pursuer.
A smart hound will swim a creek and check both sides to find where the coon left the water.
Coons spend a lot of time around water catching frogs and such, and the hounds go where the coons go.
I have also seen coons treed out in flooded timber many times. Dogs will be standing in two feet of water, barking up a tree.
Never seen it but i wasn't in a swamp in east Texas, nor was I going to wade water to get to them. I killed many in the deep woods of East Texas though. Red Bones and Blue ticks are great coon dogs. We didn't have alligators in our ponds,, just catfish. 😁
All the guys i knew with coon dogs would have never let them loose near alligator-invested waters. They would have sent their Wifes out before their dogs. 😁

I've got a wet pit out back and found a 12' bull gator in it a few months ago...I've got to run a cattle wire it so Ivan isn't his next meal...
I've got a silent-but-deadly crossbow that has put down a nice gator. You oughta get one.

On second thought, a big chunk of chicken on a 14-0 hook with rope tied to a tree will get you there.

But iguanas? I had one on my front lawn, so I popped him with my Ruger Single Six. Then I found out they have skin every bit as tough as gator. Took me fifteen minutes to skin the sucker. His bod was two feet long, so I just took one leg and prepped and cooked it like I would a good-sized frog leg.

I wuz fargin barf-awful. And I love cooter, gator, and will turn away from a steak for frogs legs, so it ain't cultural bias.

Right up there with the meat of a rutting boar for yummy.

beware the iguana

That's a medium-sized one in this pic. And the dumb broad getting bit is... dumb. These things are nasty and have very sharp, dirty teeth.

From Yashin, "How is iguana a lovely pet or not?"

As far as pets are concerned, they suck. They are NOT native species. They infest lawns, walls, canals, roads, yada with holes they dig. If you have iguanas, you do NOT have wild baby duckies, etc. (they cannot outrun, outswim, or hide from iguanas).

The question triggered a memory; I had written a humor article about iguanas for pets for a magazine a coupla decades ago. Went searching, and found it.

“Iguana” Tell You A Story

©Walt C. Snedeker

Bob owned an iguana. Of course, it’s his business if he wanted to have a miniature dinosaur hanging around the place, so I will refrain from airing all the semi-witticisms that spring to mind. Suffice it to say that Bob was happy, and (I presume) so was his dinosaur.

Just having an iguana creeping eerily through the living room would be enough to have my cat, Fuzzy Britches, dissolve into butterscotch-colored mud.

And the Fabled PC need not even be consulted on the matter. Perhaps Bob also was a trifle put off by the intrusion of basilisk eyes at odd times. Or perhaps he realized that iguanas tend to live outdoors when they are wild and free (as opposed to being wild and housebound).

Regardless of the reason, Our Hero embarked on a monumental building project: a condo-guana. It was outdoors. It was enormous. There were rocks and turf, a tree that went right up through the shingled roof which partially covered the wired-in enclosure, and a small pool. He worked steadily and hard. It was almost completed -- almost time for the iguana to see its new digs.

But modern times do intrude. And these modern times include sub-human yahoos that do things like burglary. The bottom line is that Bob’s house was broken into and robbed. Incredibly, the thieves stole his pet iguana!

Bob was desolate. Somewhere out there, he could picture his iguana with a little blindfold and a double set of handcuffs. But no ransom note ever arrived. Bob began to doubt the loyalty of his lizard.

Into this gloomy picture stepped my pal Suzanne (a.k.a. “Suzy”) and her handsome husband Jim. They knew of Bob’s sorry plight, but felt that it was well and truly out of their hands.

And now for, as Paul Harvey says, “The Rest Of The Story”:

They were driving along a busy highway, when a huge iguana scooted right across the road in front of their pickup truck. Jim locked up the brakes, to pile out in pursuit of the beastie. The little horrible got to the edge of the road, and held real still, pretending to be a lizard-shaped fireplug.

But Jim is a clever lad, and was not fooled.

He walked back to the pickup with his evil-looking prize, and climbed in behind the wheel.

Suzy foolishly asked the rash question, “How are you going to drive with that thing in your arms?”

“Hm,” Jim muttered intelligently, arriving at the obvious answer about four hundredths of a second ahead of his bride. He was able to deliver the monster into her arms with just that much lead time ahead of her suddenly dawning surmise.

Confidently, Jim started the truck, as Suzy sat in rigid terror with Godzilla’s grandchild on her lap. It stared at her.

It was real good at staring. Suzy thought she ought to try to get on its good side, if it had one.

So she tried petting it.

Suzy apparently has the ability to put absolutely anything at its ease. And that semi-little monster was no exception. As soon as she began stroking its hideous head, the beast went all soggy and limp. Its eyes rolled back in its head in reptilian bliss. It failed at purring, but it tried.

Jim drove straight to Bob’s house to present him with a replacement for his loss to the iguanappers. As the creature waddled into its brand-new habitat, all three humans commented on how fat and well-fed it appeared.

“Can’t have been lost long, considering how fat it is. Sure looks healthy.”

Bob was beaming at his new prehistoric pet. Everyone shook hands at a happy ending. Almost.

The following day, Bob was on the phone to his philanthropic pals.

“It ain’t fat anymore. Not since it laid those 23 big eggs.”

But the payoff to this story is yet to come. It seems that the superduper habitat that Bob constructed was made with wire mesh that would keep in a full-grown iguana. Not so 23 little baby iguanas. That means that Bob had to move everybody back into his house.

At least he doesn’t have to worry about the burglars coming back and taking all his iguanas -- there’s no way they could ever round them all up. And Bob will never again have to worry about where his next iguana is coming from.

Fking gator dogs😁
Having gone coon hunting with coon-asses, lemme tellya about dogs and coons and water. It is the coon's greatest weapon against a dog.

A coon close-set by a dog will jump in water and turn and wait for the dog to do likewise in the heat of its pursuit. Bad move on the dog's part to jump in the water on that coon. Spider - fly.

The coon will drown the dog if he lures it to deep enough water. <-- TINS, pilgrims.

Ive seen the dogs in water but they weren't after coons. Wasnt my dogs anyway. Besides most of the coons i killed i didn't have dogs with me. I was hunting squirrels when i saw them. My buddy almost got his ass torn up trying to get a baby coon out of its nest. He wanted to raise one. laughed my fking ass off. 😁

Hey everyone! I'm new here and just had to say thanks for sharing this wild iguana story! I mean, who knew these little monsters could be such loyal pets? Bob's condo guana was definitely a work of art, but dang those burglars for stealing his scaly friend! Luckily, Suzy and Jim were there to save the day with their own iguana sighting. By the way, I recently found this site pocketpetcentral.com which has a ton of cool info about pets, not just iguanas. They've got everything from hamsters to hedgehogs, and it's all in one place. Plus, they've got some pretty helpful tips for taking care of your furry (or scaly) friend. Anyway, back to the iguanas. It's pretty crazy that Bob's replacement iguana turned out to be a mama with 23 babies. That's a whole lot of mini dinosaurs to take care of!

Last edited:
Ive seen the dogs in water but they weren't after coons. Wasnt my dogs anyway. Besides most of the coons i killed i didn't have dogs with me. I was hunting squirrels when i saw them. My buddy almost got his ass torn up trying to get a baby coon out of its nest. He wanted to raise one. laughed my fking ass off. 😁
Some Coons are Evil-Smart
They lure a hound into the water by faking an injury or that they can not move fast
Once in the water the suckers drown your hound. I'm very surprise most Coons do not swim well.

Latest posts

Back