Indoor grow weather quetion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"The Canadian town of Mission, BC has a bylaw that allows the town's Public Safety Inspection Team to search people's homes for grow ops if they are using more than 93 kWh of electricity per day. There have allegedly been reports floating in IRC of two different cases of police showing up at a Bitcoin miner's residence with a search warrant. police and the DEA file at least 60 subpoenas each month for energy-use records of people suspected of running an indoor pot growing operation. DEA Agent Anthony Marotta said high electricity usage does not always mean the residence is an indoor pot farm and has surprised federal agents. 'We thought it was a major grow operation ... but this guy had some kind of business involving computers. I don't know how many computer servers we found in his home.'"

LINCOLN, Neb. -- A Lincoln man whose exorbitant power bills led to police finding a marijuana-growing operation has been sentenced to two years of probation.

Jacob Brehm was sentenced Thursday for manufacturing marijuana. Brehm, who pleaded guilty, must participate in a substance abuse program as part of his probation.

Brehm was arrested in August 2009 after police found more than 100 pot plants in various stages of growth, plus grow lights and other items at his house. Police searched his home after his power bills showed a surge in electricity use, which police say came from the grow lamps.

Smart meters can help police bust indoor marijuana growing operations. It does so because the smart meters provide highly detailed energy use data, that could be used in real time surveillance of neighborhoods, communities, cities and eventually the nation's entire electrical grid.

According to Drug Enforcement Agency, the subpena is only "one tool" used to catch illegal grow house operations. What typically happens is that police may recieve a tip of suspicous activity and undercover officers might not find anything illegal during a routine surveillance of the suspect's residence. So then "utility consumption records" can be sought which could be one indicator police use to get 'probable cause' to go search the place.
Using smart grid for surveillance to catch indoor pot farmers is not new. We found references to this going back to 2005 see: "NeverGetBusted" document "fishing for pot" and the Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyer Blog reported on "Texas warrantless surveillance program" in which Austin Energy provides police with "customer usage information" to find grow houses.
POT GROWERS GET "SMART" ALSO
In writing this article, I did some investigating and found some people who traffic in pot willing to talk with me about there smart energy concerns. They indicated there are many ways around that kind of smart meter surveillance and monitoring. The primary one, don't opt for smart meter technology, if you can. They cited the use of solar energy panels to feed back energy into the grid, gas generators and the tapping of nearby electrical utility lines illegally for power (smart grid makes that more and more difficult however). One fellow indicate the possibility of 'meter tampering or bypass', but I didn't really understand how that works, but thought I should mention it.
TRENDING NOW- SMALLER MARIJUANA GROW OPERATIONS
The growers say the trend now is "hydro" and "chronic" so called: "one hit wonders" - or the growing of high quality medical grade marijuana, through cross breading and genetics. So marijuana grow operations are forming that are tending to be cultivating smaller crops that interestingly enough sell for more money. So it will be interesting to see how this will evolve over time. If marijuana was legalized the government could tax the f*cking **** out it, like they do now for alcohol and cigarettes. But that is my personal opinion.
MANY DIFFERENT ENERGY SPIES
But law enforcement is only the beginning of how smart grid can be used to spy and commit what might be called: "soft forms of espionage".
Insurance companies for example could use the smart grid data as real time surveillance to determine if people are present in the home they are asked to insure as a primary residence. The press also could use smart meters to monitor and report on celebrities and politicians energy usage and meter data.
THE "DARK SIDE"
Everything has a "dark side" as Darth Vader would call it. So to smart meter technology. Criminals may want to see the data to determine the "point of least energy usage" which would give then the best time to come around the house to burglarize it maybe...or see what kind of high dollar appliances you might have to rip off! Creditors too could use that data to theoretically determine in behavior indicates credit worthiness for example. And I can think of a billion others, but you get my point.
The scariest report I saw was the fact that smart meter grids could include as many as 440 million customers meaning 440 million "new hackable points" by the end of 2015 (reported by Computerworld), according to Lockheed Martin General Manager of Energy and Cyber Services.
So besides privacy conerns for criminals - smart grid presents new vulnerability to the electrical grid itself.
In the near future we may see a time when energy will be regulated and more controlled ad so will your usage of that energy.

And just so that some people know your utility Bill, account information is public Record

The electric meter outside your house helps the power company determine just how much to bill you every month. But it can also give authorities a peek into your life to see if you've been up to no good.

A former state trooper learned that lesson when Dorchester County deputies raided his Ridgeville rental property in January 2010 and discovered a sophisticated indoor marijuana farm.

Court papers recently filed in the case revealed that investigators were tipped off by the tenant's utility company. Edisto Electric workers called police after noticing unusually high electricity use on the property and numerous instances of tripping circuits, authorities said.

The find was a boon for law enforcement, but it raises questions about the electric company's role in the process: Should a utility function as an arm of law enforcement and share information about its paying customers without a warrant based purely on its suspicions?

Edisto Electric, a rural electric cooperative based in Bamberg, refused to comment on the incident or its policies for sharing information with police. Spokesman Frank Furtick cited the pending criminal case and "a policy of Edisto Electric to refrain from publicly commenting on such things."

The potential for power company privacy intrusions has sparked debates in California, Florida and other states with the spread of so-called "smart" meters that transmit consumption data to utilities from homes and businesses.

Designed to make America's power transmission system more efficient, the meters have drawn suspicion from folks worried about Big Brother spying on their household habits.

Identifying illicit pot growers through excessive electrical use is nothing new. Indoor growers often give themselves away by using high-intensity lamps and climate-control equipment to nurture their plants.

Tracking diverted power helped police in suburban Port St. Lucie, Fla., shut down dozens of grow houses five years ago. Or take the case of a Nashville grower undone two years ago by racking up electricity bills three times larger than his neighbors'.

In most cases, however, police approach power companies for information after receiving a tip or evidence of a marijuana-growing operation.

In the Dorchester County case, Edisto Electric took the first step and, in essence, became a police informant, authorities said.

Dorchester County sheriff's Maj. John Garrison said the utility was being a good corporate citizen and helped the sheriff's office uncover a significant growing operation that might otherwise have escaped attention.

"I don't know if we would have found it without them," he said.

Narcotics Detective Shaun Tumbleston testified in a hearing on the case last week that Edisto Electric was concerned in late 2009 because its workers kept having to go to Stable Lane to reset a transformer after the circuits overloaded. They couldn't figure out why a rural property with no residence was racking up electric bills of $800 a month, he said.

That tip yielded several arrests and the seizure of more than 300 marijuana plants being grown in the sheds and a container on the property of former state trooper Kurt Steffen, authorities said.

these busts ya'll are talking about are 100's of plants. I'm not doing it for the money. I would like to have 4-5 oz's every couple months. I would feel more comfortable knowing what's in my MJ and where its been. Also, I think its dangerous to buy from a dealer.

chazmaine420 said:
Hey MoNo,
$1000 is a good start up budget. I suggest going over to the grow journal section and see what other people have done and see what might fit your needs. But that money could get you a 4x4 tent,600 watt MH/HPS air cooled light w hood, and an inline fan w carbon filter for odor. Using that as a Veg/flower space could yeild anywhere from 6-20 oz every 4 months. I am fortunate to have legal medical grow so if this is under the radar...keep it way secret.

Heres links to two journals I have done.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65671

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64532

the setup your talking about here, would this be a considerable spike in my electric bill? i just saw someone say they had a 5k electric bill. my bill now is around $150 a month.

maybe this will help.

600 watts x 12 hours = 7.2kw

7.2 kw x 30 days(avg.month) = 216kw used/month

216 x (what ever your EC charges/kwH, lets say $0.10/kwH to make it easy) so that would be 216 x 0.10 = $21.60 just to run your light.

Use your rate to get a closer idea. Plus remember whatever else you have run, fans,pumps and whatnot for your grow room .

NorCalHal said:
Absolutely.

I can't get into a lot of details, but I would not worry about your electric company turning you in AS LONG AS YOU PAY YOUR BILL.
I have had 5k+ bills for years now. Do they know what is going on, I am SURE they do, positive. I know many others in the same boat as me. "Funny" comments made by electric company cashiers when paying huge bills with stacks of stinky twenties.
Personally, I pay by other means, never going into the Electric co office.

The ONLY thing I have had the electric company do to me was to raise my rates due to "Demand" charges.
Don't argue...just Pay.
yup the only thing i can add to this is dont do do what i did. and brake down a 250 gal sw tank and stop growing at the same time. that got me a padlock on my box. thought i was stealing

MoNoXiDe said:
the setup your talking about here, would this be a considerable spike in my electric bill? i just saw someone say they had a 5k electric bill. my bill now is around $150 a month.

It wouldn't be a big spike at all.

I'm a very small personal operation. 1- T5 set up 24/7, and 1- 400w hps 12/12, a few fans, and a dehumidifier. my bills have gone up minimally. no more than $20 - $30 per month. I'm guessing that they're not giving me a thought.

stay smart.
:cool:

Yea if you're just starting out don't be paranoid about electric usage they aren't looking for you. Also, if you have some bagseed it might be worth testing your germination techniques but I wouldn't actually grow them out.

If your really concerned about electricity use you may want to consider a LED light. I'm doing a Led grow in a 2x3 ft closet which i posted a link to earlier. You probably wont get the same yeild as an HPS but they use much less power. They also produce little heat. The light I have can be used for both veg and flower. I harvest in a couple weeks so i cant say what yeild i'm getting but theres definitly some nice buds in there.

DrFever said:
In most cases, however, police approach power companies for information after receiving a tip or evidence of a marijuana-growing operation.

Nice Internet references to 3 year old busts in non mmj States and outside the US.
Welcome to 2013.
Find me some records of MJ busts that have happened in the last 24 months, I might be impressed.

What few cases have gone through the court system in the USA have all been thrown out due to warrants not being used to secure the power consumption records. Records obtained because other issues led them to the grow site.

Sure, it could happen. A car chase could end up crashing into your grow too, leading investigators right to your grow site.
But, all in all, it is a super rarity that has already been challenged in court, and lost.

By the way, my comments are made from actual experience, not a Google search.

You can set up a real decent grow with $1000-1500. You mentioned using a basement that is not finished. By this I am assuming that you mean something like a cellar with dirt floors or a really tall "crawl space"? Basements usually make good places to grow because the temperatures stay more constant. Just make sure you don't have a bunch of creepy crawlies that can ruin your grow. You should probably bug bomb the space before you use it.

If you are good at building, you may want to just build yourself a couple of spaces--a smaller one for veg and a larger one for flowering. If you are not handy, I would recommend tents.

I would recommend either a 600 or a 1000W HPS for flowering and T5 fluorescent tubes for vegging. A 600W is good for a space 16-18 sq ft. A 1000W is good for 25-30 sq ft. You will need some kind of good quality exhaust fan--a centrifuge type fan like a Vortex. A 6" fan should do you. In flowering, you may need a carbon filter. You can often buy exhaust fans and carbon filters together. Do not buy a duct booster fan. It is not strong enough for our purposes. You need an oscillating fan to move the air around. The vegging space, which can be smaller than the flowering space will also need fans, except they can be smaller.

You will need to decide if you want to do soil or hydro and if in soil if you want to grow organic or go with chem nutes. For starting out you may want to start with soil and a good quality prepared commercial nutrient line.

This will give you something to think about. I buy a lot of stuff off Amazon and E-Bay for growing. You might also want to check out Craig's List, which sometimes has some good buys also. I worry about local a little more just in case it is LEO trolling for people buying growing supplies.

Good luck and ask any questions you have. The more you know, the better your grow will be.

I have a closet that I can use, I just thought basement 'yes dirt floors' to keep the smell out of my house. although i did cut my 1 plant down and its hanging down there and my house smells! lol

The smells need to be dealt with regardless of where you grow. A grow in the basement can smell the house up just as much as one in a closet. Good ventilation--a carbon filter, a good exhaust fan, and negative pressure in your grow space--will keep the odors at bay.

hell the tent and 400W air cool setup I got cost me 400$. Thats light/tent/filter/fan, the works.

If I had another 600$ Id be getting another tent/light/fan/filter you get it.

Also, buy and extra bulb (they are like 20$ each and what a shame if your ONLY bulb died in flowering stage.)

And still have cash for seeds/nutes/soil/PH METER,etc.

Notice the PH METER in all caps ;)

negative pressure? is that where the walls of the tent are bowed inward when the tent is zipped up?

Latest posts

Back