Intake cfm/ducting question, help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sc153106

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an air cooled 8'' 1000 watt HPS with a 8'' vortex fan (747 cfm) for exhaust and here's my plan: (intake from inside the flowering chamber to rid smell and vent heat simultaneously) intake fan-->carbon scrubber-->light hood-->vortex-->exhaust. My question is I have a 148 cfm 4'' Dayton Blower from an old grow, can I use this as my intake fan? People say you can use a smaller cfm fan as your intake vs. exhaust, but I don't know if this is enough. Furthermore, how would I hook up ducting to a 4'' intake fan to a carbon scrubber, and then to a 8'' air-cooled hood? Thanks everybody!

Mostly a good plan, you won't even need that Dayton blower, with 747 cfm being pulled out of the room, you're gonna have 747 cfm of air gushing into the room to replace the air being sucked out. Some well placed air vents will direct this incoming air in a positive way for your plants and give the air an easy time of getting in, but there's no need for an intake fan in your setup, save your electricity!

If you could get you vortex fan on the exhaust end, you'd be better off--fans are more efficient pulling than pushing. My set-up is: filter>duct>lite shield>duct through ceiling>vortex fan in attic.

Like Blanco said, if you've got plenty of passive venting, you're fine. BUT, with too much passive venting your house is going to smell like marijuana when you shut your vortex down.

Latest posts

Back