is it ok to cure this way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't put mj that you plan to smoke/vape in the freezer, period. Freezing makes the trichs, (that hold the thc), fall off and you loose that from your smoke/vape.

I am a medical user and have a couple of bale top jars I keep in the freezer. The only issue is to handle it delicately when it is frozen, it will break apart easily and you will lose tricomes . I normally clean the jar between uses with 190 proof Neutral Grain Spirits (brand names like Everclear or Clear Springs) which I then use for making tinctures.

You are entirely correct that the three great enemies of organic materials are heat, light and oxygen. Vacuum sealing is not practical for cannabis so the next best is an air tight container to limit air contact as much as possible and keep it in a cool, dark place. The freezer works especially well if you will have it around longer than three months.

ronnie, freezing a bud will lower the total THC instantly. i have physically tested this. trust me when i say to put itin a dark cool closet.

:ciao: OG.

Do you know what the ideal temp is for them to be stored? Just curious as temps here can get pretty high during summer months and would like to store through summer so i dont need to grow in the heat.

that is definately something we are working on at this time!

i personally store in mason jars on my floor of my room, temps steady at 72 year round.

but, i am not positive on the exact temp or humidity, YET. And i stress "yet".

Its looking like between 55 and 75 drgrees F and 40-75% humidity is showing real good results...

Good stuff OG, Better save me a copy of that book your working on hehe.

OGKushman. Do you have a grow journal or link to your og kush #18 ?

ronnie77 said:
Vacuum sealing is not practical for cannabis

I have an attachment to my food sealer that fits on mason jars. Best thing I have invested in for storage. Sucking the air out will remove most of the oxygen from the jar and slow the deteriation of thc.

niteshft whats the make/model of your food sealer? im kind of in the market and that sounds like a nice feature! thanks

Mutt said:
only thing you put in the freezer is fresh trim for bubble making ;)

edit:
if it wasn't a grow forum that sentence could have a whole different meaning
:rofl::goodposting:
Freezing will rupture the trichromes, so this is not a good idea for even short term storage... Trimmings should not be frozen long either, just long enough to lower the temperature of the resins so that they solidify... 20-30 minutes max!

I was just going to ask about freezing trim...seems if bad for bud, bad for all.

OGKushman said:
ronnie, freezing a bud will lower the total THC instantly. i have physically tested this. trust me when i say to put itin a dark cool closet.

OGK,
Does the actual quality of the THC degrade?, or is it the quantity of THC left on the leaves? If the actual quality declines, then most of the hash makers out there are degrading their bubble due to freezing of trim.:eek: So, should we store our trim in a 'wine celler' type environment?

Thanks.
Cheers.

:yeahthat:

Its quality that is reduced not quantity. We are not losing mass in the short time between weighing and injection.

ozzydiodude said:
just set the jars in a cool dark place and burp the jars 2 or 3 times a day for for a month. Doing this will cure your buds and bring out the best your taste.

Oh Ozzy it's you , now I know you just snort your buds but what should I do.

I'm just laerning to grow so , I put my plants in to flower on the 6th of march and expect to wait 8 weeks? and then harvest the buds.

So I put the buds in a jar and air them two or three times a day for a month and thats all? I'm not sure I can air them three times a day.

I once put some buds in a bag and aired them once a day for a few weeks until I smoked it and it was as almost as good as the weed I was buying.

But I want a quick way to cure or dry while retaining thc and flavour.

johnstreet said:
But I want a quick way to cure or dry while retaining thc and flavour.
Not likely. Buds need a slow dry and cure to be most potent and tastey

I just placed a super lemon haze in it's jars. I can already tell the difference of keeping the jars in a cool dark place instead of the freezer.

Some blueberry skunk I wasn't real fond of I tried last night after it's been out and it was alot more like the discription given of the weed. Real nice fairly strong relaxing high and mello clear head high....Being a sativa person mostly I did really enjoy the indica buzz....

I'm hanging these last 5 plants in cool dark room (slh harvested today) with the cieling fan reversed so it draws the air up and there was nice air circulation and the super lemon haze was sticky and nice. I've been reading where it's not good to have air blowing directly on the drying plants. The taste and smell of the slh is tops if you like lemon imo.

I still have room for improvement but already noticing a difference. I don't think I was putting my stuff in jars to early before being to wet, but now scince it's going in a cool dark place instead of the freezer, I'll let them dry a little longer, just enough to cure right hopefully....seeing the difference already in the blueberry.

There's a learning curve jungle. Time isn't so much a factor as learning to "read" the products dryness, readiness for the next step. Different environmental; conditions as well as density, size, amount of product, may dictate some "tweaking" evvery crop. I've never owned a hygrometer to monitor the rh during the curing process. So I can't cosign or dispute the numbers quoted in the sticky. Though they "sound" pretty close to what I would guess/estimate 'spot on'..

I read about the hygrometer and what it does and maybe I will get one someday.

Does anyone know the thread where the person who droped his grow lights on his plants whether the plants would turn out good? I have a new camara, and I want to put a picture of my injured plant and how it came out. I looked and looked and havent been able to find the post. Thanks

Jungle, it is in the Auto flower section!

My My

ftw2012 said:
niteshft whats the make/model of your food sealer? im kind of in the market and that sounds like a nice feature! thanks

Foodsaver, Model "Compact II"

Latest posts

Back