Is my grown room big enough and light question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaz1873

Reaction score
Hi ive just started building my grow room for my G424 NFT systems. The height of my walls are 36" .Is this high enough?The sides are 4 foot wide. How tall will plants grow at maximium height?? Is this an ok size mind i have to put and small fan in there.

I order a new light but i though it was going to me a red glow off the bulb as the guy said it was HPS but its white in colour. Ive inclosed documetns in got with it.

Chers for the help just trying to get things right for my first grow :)

Cheers for all your help past & present ;)

http://www.buylighting.com/Lucalox_high_pressure_sodium_light_bulbs.htm

Thats a link to the website my bulb is a LU400. How come its white glow and not red as i though HPS bulbs are?

Light1.JPG

File0024.jpg

Hey Jaz1873,
Your grow room size should be dependent upon how big you want to grow your plants. MJ can grow anywhere from 1 feet to 12, so you have a lot of room to decide. Most indoor growers prefer around 3 to 5, or they will do SOG(Sea of green) with a bunch of small 1 foot plants. With 3 foot walls, you will get around 2 foot plants.( Light has to be at least 6 to 12 inches away from plant plus it takes up room at the grow setup)
About the light...HPS is red in spectrum, but it doesn't look red. It has a mix of all the spectrums, but that is its dominant spectrum and the final color is a bright yellowish whitish color. the description of the HPS bulb your looking at is exactly what a Hps light looks like . So don't worry about that.
Thats my .02 :)

joegrow22 said:
Hey Jaz1873,
Your grow room size should be dependent upon how big you want to grow your plants. MJ can grow anywhere from 1 feet to 12, so you have a lot of room to decide. Most indoor growers prefer around 3 to 5, or they will do SOG(Sea of green) with a bunch of small 1 foot plants. With 3 foot walls, you will get around 2 foot plants.( Light has to be at least 6 to 12 inches away from plant plus it takes up room at the grow setup)
About the light...HPS is red in spectrum, but it doesn't look red. It has a mix of all the spectrums, but that is its dominant spectrum and the final color is a bright yellowish whitish color. the description of the HPS bulb your looking at is exactly what a Hps light looks like . So don't worry about that.
Thats my .02 :)

Nice one mate cheers for that..

I am planning on growing 6 plants first of all then going to move on to 8. I think i want sea of gre(is that when i have 6 clones all under the same light at the same time and you grow till end)?? My walls are going to be just over the 4 feet mark. Is this ok?? How far will i have the light from my new cuttings?? Will i put the small fan beside the plants blowing directly on to them at a slow speed as they are babies?? I was not going to bother with ventilation for the moment either. Will it not get to hot in the grow room. I am building a room and sheeting it with plasterboard this will not hold,in as much head. Some stuff i got had shiny coating on it will i use this side? Does all the walls have to be shiny aswell??

jaz1873 said:
Nice one mate cheers for that..

I am planning on growing 6 plants first of all then going to move on to 8. I think i want sea of gre(is that when i have 6 clones all under the same light at the same time and you grow till end)?? My walls are going to be just over the 4 feet mark. Is this ok?? How far will i have the light from my new cuttings?? Will i put the small fan beside the plants blowing directly on to them at a slow speed as they are babies?? I was not going to bother with ventilation for the moment either. Will it not get to hot in the grow room. I am building a room and sheeting it with plasterboard this will not hold,in as much head. Some stuff i got had shiny coating on it will i use this side? Does all the walls have to be shiny aswell??
OK i would try and make your room atleast 4 feet tall. Your light will be anywhere from 12 to 24 inches away from your plants depending how hot it is in your grow room. Yes put the fan blowing on them at slow speed. Yes you will need venilation in your room. What are you putting on your walls? Yes they all should be covered.

Not sure on your light wattage, but...
One of the first things new guys (like me) fail to understand how hot your light will be. Without ventilation, cooling or both, your room will probably hit 100 degrees in a matter of minutes. Get the light in there and moniter temps for a while, 85 is ok, 75 is better. Complete exchange of air every 3 minutes is best. Reflective film like mylar is great, but ordinary flat white paint will be fine also. The reflective surface on your material probably is mylar, so it will be fine. SOG basically implies many much smaller plants, vegged just long enough to produce one main bud (kola) each.

Good Luck.

THE BROTHER'S GRUNT said:
OK i would try and make your room atleast 4 feet tall. Your light will be anywhere from 12 to 24 inches away from your plants depending how hot it is in your grow room. Yes put the fan blowing on them at slow speed. Yes you will need venilation in your room. What are you putting on your walls? Yes they all should be covered.

I got a HPS light with a Lucalox LU 400 bulb at 400 watt..My wall is roughly 4 foot tall. I plan to line my walls with that silver paper stuff u get for more light. I wasnt going to put in a filter to get rid of the smell just yet. What is a good temperature for my grow room to be when light is on and off?? How far should my desk fan be away from the new cuttings?? I put a picture of my light on for u to see..

af_1_b.jpg

Elephant Man said:
Not sure on your light wattage, but...
One of the first things new guys (like me) fail to understand how hot your light will be. Without ventilation, cooling or both, your room will probably hit 100 degrees in a matter of minutes. Get the light in there and moniter temps for a while, 85 is ok, 75 is better. Complete exchange of air every 3 minutes is best. Reflective film like mylar is great, but ordinary flat white paint will be fine also. The reflective surface on your material probably is mylar, so it will be fine. SOG basically implies many much smaller plants, vegged just long enough to produce one main bud (kola) each.

Good Luck.

Its a 400 watt bulb mate. I havent bought the reflective material as yet i was planning on this. Is this better than normal matt paint?? Or is this as good?? Will i get hotter with the reflective material on the walls. Do u put it on the floor??

Cheers man

This is the location for the effectiveness of various reflective materials:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969

Yes, you can put it on all walls and floor, I have seen some line the top of their plant buckets with it.

If you figure your sq ft, multiply that by .07, and divide that by 3, you should have your cfm needed for exchange 20 times an hour. Everyone please correct me if I am wrong. If your room is small enough, you may be able to use cheap and quiet computer fans.

That light has a built in ballast. If you are a little mechaically inclined, you can easily and cheaply convert it to remote ballast and move alot of heat out of the room.

Elephant Man said:
This is the location for the effectiveness of various reflective materials:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1969

Yes, you can put it on all walls and floor, I have seen some line the top of their plant buckets with it.

If you figure your sq ft, multiply that by .07, and divide that by 3, you should have your cfm needed for exchange 20 times an hour. Everyone please correct me if I am wrong. If your room is small enough, you may be able to use cheap and quiet computer fans.

That light has a built in ballast. If you are a little mechaically inclined, you can easily and cheaply convert it to remote ballast and move alot of heat out of the room.

How do i turn the balast in to remote? I was going to bother with ventilation for the moment.
My room size is approx 4 foot in height 4.5 foot long and 2.5 foot wide.

If you have any electrical experience at all, this thread should contain the info you need to remote your ballast. I have not done this, so I can't walk you through it, but surely someone on here can. Hope I don't get into trouble for linking another forum:

http://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36344

Your room is pretty small, I think a few computer fans placed in the right spots should do the trick and draw very few watts. Check out this thread:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3260

Good Luck

Elephant Man said:
If you have any electrical experience at all, this thread should contain the info you need to remote your ballast. I have not done this, so I can't walk you through it, but surely someone on here can. Hope I don't get into trouble for linking another forum:

http://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=36344

Your room is pretty small, I think a few computer fans placed in the right spots should do the trick and draw very few watts. Check out this thread:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3260

Good Luck

Cheers for that mate. U think i need a couple of PC fans then yeah.. Take it this makes alot of difference especially as i dont have ventilation fans. Will i leave my thermometer/humidity reader inside my grow room??

jaz1873 said:
Cheers for that mate. U think i need a couple of PC fans then yeah.. Take it this makes alot of difference especially as i dont have ventilation fans. Will i leave my thermometer/humidity reader inside my grow room??

Yes on the thermometer. Ordinary air only contains 300 ppm co2, your plants can go through that in no time. Optimal conditions require complete air exchange every 3 minutes. I would add as many fans as you can, cheap easy, and route one through your reflector if possible.

Latest posts

Back