is the smell really that bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe i'll grab some next time i go down to haiti, bringing them back is a diffrent story though

attics get hot so that might not work, the closet prolly doesnt have any windows or ac/heat so that might not work...you could use a small window ac unit inside but if the attic is one big one then if he has acess to it then so do the other neighbors. i have a friend who lives in an apt bldg that anyone who crawled up into the space could go from apt to apt just by walking on the raftors so safty being key that might not work. if you can grow there then use a growbox with a carbon filter that will kill the smell and help keep prying noses unknowing. theres alot more info we need about the space to see if it would work. goodluck!

Flo's and cfl's will grow bud just fine and can be used for both vegging and flowering. How many lumens per sq ft is what will make your buds more dense. Both flo's and cfl's would suit a closet grow much better than a HID or Hps. Be reasonable with what size light you are using in small places so that you don't start the apartment building on fire just because you picked a 600w hps to put in a little closet just because someone told you flo's aren't good for growing. Out of 20+ grows, I have used flo's and cfl's on almost all and I have grown some of the most dense bud I've seen. It's all in personal preference, trial and error, and what is most reasonable for the size grow you are looking for. No sense in buying some $500 light just to grow a couple plants when you could spend $100 dolalrs on cfl and flo supplies and get just as good of bud.

yeah i hear you, i have 3 light fixtures allready so im just gonna stick with the flou lights. as for the attic i just talked to him and he said it's not connected to anyone else only we have access to it, it's not as big as i was guessing. he measured the closet for me and turns out it's bigger then i thought 7'x5'x10' like a mini room if you ask me. so im getting everything ready equitment wise and research wise so when i get down there i'll have the room ready by day 2 of living there.

trust me it will stink, i just finished in an attic:eek:

mal_crane said:
Flo's and cfl's will grow bud just fine and can be used for both vegging and flowering. How many lumens per sq ft is what will make your buds more dense. Both flo's and cfl's would suit a closet grow much better than a HID or Hps. Be reasonable with what size light you are using in small places so that you don't start the apartment building on fire just because you picked a 600w hps to put in a little closet just because someone told you flo's aren't good for growing. Out of 20+ grows, I have used flo's and cfl's on almost all and I have grown some of the most dense bud I've seen. It's all in personal preference, trial and error, and what is most reasonable for the size grow you are looking for. No sense in buying some $500 light just to grow a couple plants when you could spend $100 dolalrs on cfl and flo supplies and get just as good of bud.

A 400 w/hps can be purchased for very close to that same $100 dollar bill, and is "both" more efficient and produces more grow power/lumens/PAR. Facts.. not "opinions"..
Room 5x10(assuming 7' ceiling) 50/sq/ft. would require "2" 1000 watt HID lights, for sufficient coverage. That equal to, what?..about 40-50 cfls?.
Two 1 k lights will require some serious ventilation, but so will 40 flourescents.
CFLs "must" be kept close, within a few inches of the canopy. Without training, lower growth(anything further than 6 inches from the bulb) will suffer light deprivation, and will not procuce to potential.
All of the research that "I" have read, and 25+ years of experience, has proven to me, that at this point in time, nothing surpass's HID/HPs for growing efficiency.
Not saying 'bud' can't be grown with cfls/flo's, simply pointing out the discrepancies.

I did an attic grow, never again, I would walk in the house and it stank everywhere, greenhouse grows from now on, saves me climbing a ladder twice a day lol

thanks for the input guys. i must have said the diminesions wrong then. the place is 7 feet long, 5 feet wide and has 10 foot ceiling. it's not huge, from the videos that ive been watching im gonna use the flouro for my clones/veg stage and hid for flowering, think about spliting the room in half for flowering/vegatation

Thats a big area for growing in man you should really do the math on it your talking a grow area of 35sqft thats 205,000 lumen for the whole area. take a look back at what Hick said, I have to agree with him a couple of air cooled 1K watters will do great in there. Happy Growing man.

I didn't say that HPS isn't good, I said it's his responsibility to not burn down the house with too much high powered lighting in a small area, but we now see that the area isn't small. Even with his larger area, I would still use cfl's or flo's, like I said it's just a personal preference. I've grown with an HPS and didn't like it, simple as that.

grew with an hps and didnt like it lol ive never heard that you must have alot to learn still crane

Sorry man, I may still have a little to learn, but I've done 20+ grows. I did a grow where I grew 6 females in 400w of CFL + Flo lighting and in another room I grew 6 females with 1 400w Hps. I just wasn't impressed to the point to discontinue use of cfl/flo lighting. I'm not saying it doesn't work. A friend of mine uses 2 1000w Hps and he has great bud. I just didn't see a difference in the two seperate bud I grew and neither did my buddy. The cfl bud, if anything didn't get me quite as high of yield (HPS grew me an ounce more overall) but the buds were more dense than the ones from under the HPS. Just talking from personal experience. If I had the money and space I would get another HPS, just not in a big hurry to spend double the money for a similar end product.

mal_crane said:
I didn't say that HPS isn't good, I said it's his responsibility to not burn down the house with too much high powered lighting in a small area, but we now see that the area isn't small. Even with his larger area, I would still use cfl's or flo's, like I said it's just a personal preference. I've grown with an HPS and didn't like it, simple as that.

Using CFLs when you need a high amount of lumens is kinda rediculous - extra wires sockets extension cords.. it's a mess - and much more likely to burn down a house than 1 hps/ballast. To say you've grown with an hps and didn't like it is ludicrous but I'll buy it sure . =/ :fid:

i have a very hard time believing the buds grown under cfl were denser than those grown under a hps

ok so where do i buy these lights at? i have 3 black light fixtures im gonna use but what about the CFLs or hps where can i buy some? im gonna go into autocad today and design a layout of the room.i wasn't planning on using a big ventalation system or anything i was just gonna ahve a couple fans in the room and open the door every so often to get the **** flowing. i'll try and get my friend to take a picture of the closet for us.
Hick said:
A 400 w/hps can be purchased for very close to that same $100 dollar bill, and is "both" more efficient and produces more grow power/lumens/PAR. Facts.. not "opinions"..
yeah im thinking bout spliting the room in half or if i can successfully make a shelf system to have clones/mothers under flouro lights and use i guess the hps or hid like you guys are saying for flowering. i watched an hour long video last night "Cannabis.Cultivation" by mr.green well this guy uses flour lights for the veg stage and 430w hps with blue spectrum for the flowering. the guy is also using a "squirrle cage fan" to get air flow.

these are the items that i will be purchasing for the grow, suggestion are more then welcome:
BLACK PLASTIC BAGS
MYLAR
ROOTING COMPOUND
3 GALLON CONTAINERS
SOIL(6.5-7.5)/GRAVEL/FURTILIZER(Rapid-Gro and Eco-Grow)
FLOURECENT LIGHT BULBS (COOL/WARM 25W)
ONA BLOCKER
ORKID ROCK POTTING MIX

mal_crane said:
I've grown with an HPS and didn't like it, simple as that.
Welll buddy, you have a lot to learn. If you have to $$$$ to run the hps would you still say that? you might want to go talk to some horticulturist. HPS vers CFL? its like comparing BMW to HYUNDAI. Its not even comparable. HPS are the closest thing you can get in your grow to resemble the sun, **** cfls arnt even the right spectrums...
I have used flo's and cfl's on almost all and I have grown some of the most dense bud I've seen
you must not get that great of weed where you live if CFL buds are denser than the hps, or you must not know how to use it properly. So if your saying you have tried both and got better results with cfls than whats your conclusion? How is it better in your case, than hps. sry please dont take anything personal, i can see you got a little tense, anyways i can see it now
If I had the money and space I would get another HPS, just not in a big hurry to spend double the money
atleast you know whats right pal, i dont see how if $$ wasnt the issue, to pic a cfl, over a hps. Air cooled hps look soo dang nice in that setup too. good luck
If your a little tight on money, you just going to need to shop around for prices, I would shop on ebay for the hps, http://cgi.ebay.com/AIR-COOLED-REFL...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem,
for soil I would buy foxfarm if you an find it. Shop at the dollar store for 23-cfl, Hardware store for sockets and cords. What are the black plasic bags for? you can get mylar for $2.99 a blanket at walmart. If your using cfls, i would invest in some 4 ft 43 watt cool white tubes, i used (4) 43 watts, and then (8) 23watt cfls for veg on 2 plants in an attic. Then in flowering i changed to a 400hps. youll need a good ventaliation system no matter what, intake fan outtake fan, then if you what a hps in a closet, youll need a air vented one, like the link above, it will got over 90+ with out a vent and just fans, you plants wont survive, your aiming for 75.

I understand what you guys are saying, all I'm saying is that when you learn the correct ways to use cfl's and flo's and learn how to get the most lumens from them, you can grow bud that is just as dense without having to spend as much money. You guys act like I said HPS is bad for growing. I never said that. I have repeatedly said it is just my personal preference.

Latest posts

Back