is this ratio correct?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawaiian5

Reaction score
6 Bags Roots soil or equivalent high quality supped up grow soil
Note**I am trying a new product made by a local company that contains less fir bark called Harvest Moon
25 pounds Pure Worm Castings
½ cup Azomite trace minerals
2/3 Cup Sweet Lime IE Dolomite
1 Kilo Bone meal / IE 5 Pounds
1 Kilo Blood meal ( I use a bit more bone than Blood in this recipe)
1 Kilo Bat Guano bloom formula preferably Fruit bats
3/4 cup Epson Salts
The Perlite and Coco I happen to have and it will make a better mix but it is not necessary

i want to break it down a lil because it seems to be way to much for what i need. would this work?

2 bags ff ocean
1 lbag ff light warrior
1 bag ff happy frog
15 pounds worm castings
1/2 cup azomite trace minerals
1/3 cop dolomite
2 pounds bone meal
2 1/2 pound blood meal
1 1/2 pounds bat guano
1/2 cup epson salts
1/4 cup humic acid
8 oz mycorrhizal[/URL] product

will this work? im trying to break it down a lil using 4 bags of fox farm instead of 6 bags. im also confused as to what a kilo is. i know it as 2.5 pounds. but above it states 5 pounds:confused: any ideas, add ons, suggestions, help!...thx and aloha

I think a kilo is actually like 2.2pounds but definately not 5. That ff soil has a bunch of stuff in it already so i don't know about adding all that but i'm no expert on soil prep. I would probably start with a soiless mix as a base like pro mix and work from there but that's just me.

I think fellowsped is right on...I to would go with a base soil that doesn't have all the extra's already in it...but it will work, I just think your spending more money on the FF soils when you don't really need to.

the reason why im thinking fox farm is because here in hawaii we dont have a wide veriaty of soils to choose from. the only other ones i can think of is black gold and super soil. in subcools article in ht, he said that he had his best results using ff ocean and light warrior with a 2 to 1 ratio. any ideas or suggestions? thx for the help

Any Agway or Home depot or wal-mart should have promix. pretty basic soil. If you can get ff then i just find it hard to believe there's no promix on hawaii just try some differant stores. If you have to use the ff but cut down on what you're going to put in it or you'll put your babies in there and they'll burn right up. Just because Ht says that they had the best results with this doesn't mean that it's better. Ht is influenced to write articles for certain products because that's who sponsors them imho. Not that ff isn't a great product i love it but you just have to take those articles with a grain of salt. good luck to you peace out

I use FFOF 2 parts to 1 part LW...and it is a great medium, but the only things I add to it are perlite, and a little dolomite lime.

However I'm going to be trying my hand at organics here shortly, and I will be looking at my local greenhouses for a base soil, and adding amendments to that. You are right on, it will work, I was just saying that I think it's a little overkill to add all those amendments to a soil that is already so rich. If you are wanting to make it to where you are not feeding with synthetic or chemical nutes through out your grow, then I'd say you are on the right track. You will still need to feed with some teas made for different cycles of your plants life.

ok. i mixed up everything that i was asking about in my ratio. did it this past saturday. the only thing i wasnt able to get is the epson salt. the whole island is out of that.i have pics. gonna be up soon. once i figure out how to down size it..lol. HERES 1 THING THAT WAS BOTHERING ME. after mixing everything up, i think u guys are right. it just might be a lil over kill. DO U GUYS THINK I SHOULD ADD MAYBE ANOTHER BAG OF FF LIGHT WARRIOR?. just to make it a lil less hot? im planning to put my babies in the soil when they are 3 weeks old. not directly, but with a lil topsoil. just like described by subcool. i also added almosr half a bag of perlite to it. also, i added a ton of that myco stuff. roots should be like their on steroids..lol..so once again, do u guys think i whent over board with everything? think i should add more soil like light warrior to stop the burn if any?. by the way, im growing, nirvana aurora indica, chrystal, pure power plant, and sam da skunk man hazexskunk.

sorry for the double post, but i always had really good results with nirvana. thats why i stuck to them. cheap is also a factor, but like i said. i never had bad results. all good.

so i dont need to add another bag of light warrior? my mixture is ok with ff of, happy frog, light warrior, and other additives?

I don't think you need to add light warrior to your mix, but maybe start your seeds in light warrior. When you take your plants out to plant them, line where the roots are going with some LW, then your roots can grow out of that into the hotter soil as it grows...same concept as the layers that SubCool does. Your mix sounds good man...I bet you'll have the happiest plants on the island!

thx for the help guys. i dont wanna screw this grow up. its gonna take me 2 hours drive to get where im growing them. wanna make sure they are ok when im gone. also, what can i used in place of the epson salt. the island is out of it. was told no one will get any for like a month.

Living where you do, my dad says he used to use volcanic ash in his soil ammendment. Swore by it too. Am sure your good without it, just a thought. Epsom? Hmm, guess ebay or something.

lmao...i thought it was something totally different. i guess its cause i was spelling it wrong. man do i feel like an idiot. well my soil is all mixed up already, so i guess im gonna have to do it in the liquid form. thx again people. any of u guys coffee drinkers?

Latest posts

Back