is this to tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

devilfrog

We took our first cuttings tonight, they are all 3 to 5 inches tall, and not thick, just the stem and a couple leaves. Once they root, we are going to veg them for 3 weeks and then flower for 9 weeks in 1 gallon grow bags.
Question- When its all said and done, will one plant site per 8inch by 8inch area, be to much? Thanks

most likely not enough unless you lolipop them

Im not sure....
I cant imagine a little 4 inch cutting with a couple of leaves on it, being vegged 3 weeks (after roots show), having enough branch growth for lollipop pruning?

I use at least 1'sq at the smallest..and that gets tight sometimes, thats just growing one main...alot depends on the strain and wether your going to prune it some before you flower...8"x8" is pretty tight

bubba kush by ghs co. indica dominant
I cant imagine this little 4 inch cutting with 3 weeks of veg after rooting, and then flowering 8 to 9 weeks, when done is going to incompass a whole sq ft.
you think it will grow out that much?

Hello there devilfrog!

If you have your set-up properly dialed in, it will definitely be too tight imho.

I think if you want to keep them in that small an area (8" x 8") you may want to go straight to 12/12 once they've rooted.

Like I said, it's about your set-up.

Good luck to you! Sounds like you're already on your way. Post up some pics once they get going.

Bubba/Kush will grow out that much, no problem IME

depending on method of growing & strain you could end up w/ small bushes even w/ a 2-3wk veg of a clone. alot of ppl flower clones a @ 8-10" & have a 2' plant no problem. kush plants are no exception to this statement. if you want a sog then 12/12 from moment they are showing good roots.

devilfrog said:
bubba kush by ghs co. indica dominant
I cant imagine this little 4 inch cutting with 3 weeks of veg after rooting, and then flowering 8 to 9 weeks, when done is going to incompass a whole sq ft.
you think it will grow out that much?

"I cannot imagine..." You have said this twice, so... YES, we (all) believe that they are going to encompass MORE than a sq ft. Indicas can get bushy.

Why are you even contemplating squeezing them in there like that? More plants do not mean more yield. Basically your light and space (and other growing factors) are going to determine your yield, not the number of plants you have in there. How large is your space, what size/type of lighting do you have, what medium and nutes are you using, what is your ventilation set up, what pH are you running, ppms...? All these things will ultimately contribute to your yield. There is no reason to cram a bunch of plants into a small space--you will not end up with more bud.

What THG says is true, I have 6 plants in a 4'x4' area, and I will harvest the same as if I were to put 12 smaller plants in a SOG type grow...my lights and the strain are going to dictate what I yeild....I'm hoping for 1gram/watt...but I have yet to see that.

method.... fox farms soil, 1 gallon bags, 400 w metal halide for veg, 400 w hps for flower, temp is 80 degrees, humidity is low, fans circulating air, strict water/nutrient schedule

I still cant imagine that a little 3 inch clone vegged for three weeks will blow up greater than a 12 inch diameter after being flowered.

The Hemp Goddess said:
"I cannot imagine..." You have said this twice, so... YES, we (all) believe that they are going to encompass MORE than a sq ft. Indicas can get bushy.

Why are you even contemplating squeezing them in there like that? More plants do not mean more yield. Basically your light and space (and other growing factors) are going to determine your yield, not the number of plants you have in there. How large is your space, what size/type of lighting do you have, what medium and nutes are you using, what is your ventilation set up, what pH are you running, ppms...? All these things will ultimately contribute to your yield. There is no reason to cram a bunch of plants into a small space--you will not end up with more bud.

I cannot imagine first of all, and secondly I thought that a plant that is 4 inchs in diameter and then flowered wont get much bigger than 8 inchs in diameter. More plants do equal more yield, provided there is room inbetween, that is why I am asking.

devilfrog said:
I cannot imagine first of all, and secondly I thought that a plant that is 4 inchs in diameter and then flowered wont get get much bigger than 8 inchs in diameter. More plants do equal more yield, provided there is room inbetween, that is why I am asking.

IMO I think you should be asking your self where the resource section is so that you can do a whole bunch more reading.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

You cannot image, but we can, we have grown before.

thanks buddy
we looked there, in reference books, other forums, and a google search but not a whole lot on plant diameter finishing from 4" 3 week old clone, but thanks for the suggestion!
and I cant imagine why so many of you Somas and Jorge C's are as accomadating to new people like me.
thanks for insulting me, Imagine that

devilfrog said:
I cannot imagine first of all, and secondly I thought that a plant that is 4 inchs in diameter and then flowered wont get get much bigger than 8 inchs in diameter. More plants do equal more yield, provided there is room inbetween, that is why I am asking.

You have to remember that after they root you are going to veg for 3 weeks, and also account for about 3 weeks +- for stretch in the first stages of flowering, and then an additional 6 weeks of packing on weight. Give it a whirl and see what happens.

You could tie them down some to help keep the stretch under check, but either way there is about 6 weeks +- of vertical growth.

Hey D-Frog,

I think what's being said is that no one has tried this before and they're skeptical. I agree with Ozzy, if you pop them, why not? If they start shoving too much, yank some of those sisters outta there. Why not try it? Life ain't nuthin but research anyway.

Only problem I'd consider would be watering all those 1 gallon bags.

Godspeedchucka
Thanks, that sounds good, I think we are going to keep them trimmed back to a 8 inch diameter the whole way thru. We have 1 gallon bags that are 6"x6" and we were thinking of putting 25 of them under a 400w, so with one every 8"x8", the complete grow area will be 40"x40". worst case scenario, the inside plants can be rotated with the outside lights every so often. What do you think?

Pencilhead
Thats sounds good too, plus I could get some cfls for the overflow, maybe rotate them in out under the hps. what did you mean about the watering?
Thanks

I have done it before and it worked, but make sure you have good ventilation; ESPECIALLY when they are getting close to finishing, you don't want budrot.You can prune off some lower branches and have a small fan blowing under the plants and another fan blowing over the tops. Don't cut fan leaves off just tie them to the side a little bit. Any internodes that are growing tall should be tied down a little bit. Are you topping them before they go into flower? You can get away with stressing the plant out "some" in the first 3 +- weeks of flower but after that be careful what you do or they could pop nuts on ya. I am not familiar with the strain. Was the mother plant short and bushy? I think it can be done, but you may have to extend your veg a week or two in order to get them trained properly, however, you may not have too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back