Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, if'n yer ever gonna get bit, it's when their eyes are milky. They can't see, their skin hurts, and they've got a whole lot of foul attitude. At one time, I had better than 30 snakes in the old ranch. OH was having nightmares over 'em, so they all got new homes.

I've never been to Africa, but I've done a bit of reading on their snakes. I guess the Black Mamba is an exception to the rules. They are very territorial and will chase ya down if they spot ya. Little bastards are fast moving, too.
I read an article where one crawled into an extended family hut and killed 15 people.

As the ever-reliable Snopes might say: Mostly True.

But that 8' 22-pounder struck me because he was shedding (it looked like an airport wind sock) and his eyes were cloudy. They get really short-tempered when they have PMS.

I dindu nuffin. Just walking along in the jungle and... WHAM!
dindu nuffin ha ha, haven't seen that on this site before! 🤣🤣

You are a mad bugger, Walt. Mad as Mad Jock McMad. You remind me of a guy called Harry Henselaer who was an antenna engineer on Masirah Island while I was there. Ex German army special forces. One day he came walking along holding a silver krait by the tail. Every time it reared up to get him, he snapped it out like a whip. We had no antivenom and anyway, those things are usually lethal in under 4 minutes.

20190610_185652.jpeg

Found this little chap in the garden, upside down, mouth agape, picked him up and laid him out straight on the table for a pic.
Then I curled him up, head resting on the end of his tail for this shot.
The cat came over and extended a tentative paw ......
WHAM!
The cat went into low Earth orbit, I reconsidered my evaluation of the creature´s state of health, and the snake slid calmly off into the bushes.

You are a mad bugger, Walt. Mad as Mad Jock McMad. You remind me of a guy called Harry Henselaer who was an antenna engineer on Masirah Island while I was there. Ex German army special forces. One day he came walking along holding a silver krait by the tail. Every time it reared up to get him, he snapped it out like a whip. We had no antivenom and anyway, those things are usually lethal in under 4 minutes.
WOW! I can just picture that guy.

Starkey was a blond giant cut like a wedge. His light blue eyes were always open so that you could see the entire iris. He was crazy, and everyone was (quite properly) terrified of him. He and I were tight.

A quick Starkey Story (one of a dozen) -- He had one arm under a pile of rotting bamboo tops, and in his other hand, he had a handful of two-steps (kraits). Ugly little bastages... look like they don't have enough skin. 🐍

Anyway, he sez: "Hold these, I got ahold of another one in here and I need my other hand to pull him out."

Me: "Jeez! He'll bite you, you dumb sumbitch!"

Starkey: "It wouldn't dare."
--------------------------------------------------------

Aw heck... I will shorten another whole article to a coupla sentences:

Starkey would catch a two-step. He had a target nailed to a tree. He could get about 10-15 feet away from the target and whip-snap the snake. The head would pop off and hit the target.

Yeah, I know, pulling the long bow again. ;) Nope. TINS

Anyway, the reason he was so feared comin' right up. When a cherry came walking by casually, (just ONCE and never again) -- Starkey would wind up and whip-snap a two-step's head to hit the dude.

One guy actually pissed hisself when he saw what hit him. 🙀

65F @ 74% RH, partially cloudy, and predicted to reach 80F. Glad to be out of the triple digits!!!

45 heat related deaths here in Multnomah county.

All fire works banned here because of extreme fire danger but they continue to sell them. Governor declared state of emergency over fire danger.

Oregon hit 70% immunized and the Corona restrictions lifted.

I did a pod cast yesterday and will prove a link when I receive one.

Lu lu lu lu lu lu, I cleared two HEPPA filters from the storage treasure pile. Progress is being made..........

Until I got the birds, it was always, "If you need it up, put it up. If you need it down, put it down". With the conures, it's like a bird's roach motel. They fly in, but can't fly out. They can't breathe underwater, either. Seat down, lid down, birds safe.

Up side and downside; it keeps me busy. Got 2.5 acres mowed, and another 1.5 to go. Ain't mowin' the woods or the clay banks. Might cut a few trails, but with it being used for a deer nursery, I'm gonna let it stand. Makes for nicer bedding for 'em, and better cover from the 'yotes. Besides, my ass is tired.

Probably another gallon or more of wild raspberries ready to get picked. Not too sure that's gonna happen.

Latest posts

Back