It better be BBQ CHICKEN!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt

Just a Dawg
Reaction score
Well, yest. was out n about helping a freind out.
Went to his pops to help with some farm chores. His pop steel trapped a possum that killed a couple of his chickens. Big ole fat really pissed off possum in a cage. Thing woulda taken a finger or two off easily.
Well freind told his pops we were going out for BBQ. He asked us to take the possum to his freind. We get to the BBQ shop...I'm dumbfounded why I'm hauling around a pissed off possum. We set it by the shed in the back. Owner comes out and looks at it. I asked "whatcha gonna do with him"
This is true guys.....
"Well I'm gonna leave him in the cage and corn feed him for couple weeks"
I asked..."then what?"
As cooly as I ever seen anyone say.."I'm gonna cook him up bo...thats good eatin"
My kid n I stood there in total shock. My kid didn't freak or anything just turned his head to the side with this look like "You gotta be kiddin me!!!!"
We went in and ordered our food and I said "THAT BETTER BE CHICKEN ON MY PLATE!!!!"
eek.gif

mutt, you've totally given away that you down on the bayou..

lol ew

Some strange folk out there alright. Not as bad as those who drive around with a shovel in the back of their cars on the look out for roadkill.

Plenty at it !

Hahahahaha. How was that chicken? Any unusual after taste? :p

Surely you guys,
You have to have heard of the roadkill cafe, and have seen the menu's
right ?. Don't get too proud, hunger is a fantastic motivator. read up on some of the pow camp stories that can be found in the libraries. It will hair you out.
Hog jowls, pickled pigs feet, and smoke Bambi MMMmmmMMmmmm

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Dang mang, yall over yonder eat sum strange meats Boy !!!
Yeee haawww its a Possum eaten hoe down!!!

and no, that wasnt chicken........your lucky if it was even Horse nuts....

Good ol' Dirty south :)

Hehe - Eat mo' possum they all say. Bet we've all eaten some dog, cat, rat, possum, more than we realize.

What was in that flaming pu pu platter anyway? Tasted like chicken, but a little on the wild side.;)

KK didn't see any pow camps out back....so think hunger wasn't the issue here :p
Man yeah starvin I'll eat anything to stay alive.
But somethings can go without ever knowing what its like....Chitlins, Ground Hog, Possum, Skunk, etc...I can easily go without. :p

Baked Possum Recipe

Ingredients:

1 large possum, skinned, dressed, and washed
1 quart beer
4 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 tablespoon salt
2 onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 sweet potatoes
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 ounce whiskey

Directions:
Mix the beer, whiskey, salt, Tabasco sauce, and Worcestershire sauce together. Place possum in a large roasting pan. Sprinkle the celery, onions, and the garlic all over the possum. Pour the liquid mixture over the possum as well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 350F. Place the sweet potatoes around the possum. Bake covered for 1 1/2 hours. Baste once or twice with the marinade from the pan as the possum cooks.

This recipe for Baked Possum serves 4

Now, here's one that's a little more complicated and leaves the skin on. This provides a lot of additional flavor.

Alma's Recipe For Possum Recipe

Ingredients:

1/2 c Lime
1 g Water
1 c Salt
1 ea Red pepper pod

Instructions:

Put 1/2 cup lime in about 1 gallon of boiling water and scald quickly, and pull off hair while hot.

Scrape well--remove feet, tail, and entrails--like you would a pig.
Cut off ears, remove eyes and head if desired.
Pour hot water over it and clean thoroughly.
Put one cup salt in sufficient cold water to cover possum, add 1 pod red pepper and let stand overnight.
In the morning remove salt water and pour boiling water over it.
Cook in enough boiling water to boil up over possum but not enough to cover.

Cook until skin can be pierced with a fork easily, and let stand in water until ready for baking.

When ready to bake, place possum in pan with skin side up.
Bake in a moderate oven until crisp and brown.
If fire is too hot, skin will blister and burn.

Carve possum and surround with potatoes (sliced or quartered) which have been previously baked.

If you like sweet taters as much as I do, you'll love this method of serving up some bubbly hot possum.

Possum and 'Taters recipe

1 opossum, cut into serving pieces
Water to cover
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
4 baking size sweet potatoes, pared and quartered
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine

Skin and dress opossum.

Put in Dutch oven and cover with water. Add salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat until very tender.

Place opossum pieces in center of large baking pan and arrange sweet potatoes around them. Sprinkle sugar and margarine over potatoes. Pour 2 cups of broth from cooked opossum over all.

Place in preheated 375 degrees F oven and bake until potatoes are fork tender, slightly browned, and broth has evaporated.

Now, I realize that lots of folk don't like eating anything but pigs, cows and birds, but I've got to tell you, I've lived a long time and I've tried things that would make most of you back up and spit. Some of them are surprisingly good. Possum is one of them. It tastes quite similar to pork shoulder and is way better for you. Less fat and way less parasites in the meat.

I have recipes for almost any critter that can be eaten. I've tried them all. Some I like, some I don't, but if you haven't tried one that other people eat regularly, then you're the one missing out!

There is no place on this planet you can put me where I can't find a good meal in the wild.

Let me tell you about lizard tail stew sometime. Damn! It's good!

Mutt said:
KK didn't see any pow camps out back....so think hunger wasn't the issue here :p
Man yeah starvin I'll eat anything to stay alive.
But somethings can go without ever knowing what its like....Chitlins, Ground Hog, Possum, Skunk, etc...I can easily go without. :p

I don't care for the texture of chitlins. They get a little slimy after you chew them for awhile.

Ground Hog is real good!

I've never tried skunk. I don't know how you'd kill one without it voiding it's nasty.

Fried Squirrel with fresh biscuits covered in squirrel gravy with lots of pepper....YUM!

well lookey there....

Guess i better go find a possum for tonights feast!!

maybe with a side of Rat tail??

Hehe POTUS - you have my mouth watering. All this talk about 'possum. Makes me want to toss out the rattlesnake I've got marinating in the fridge for tonights grub.:p

Wish I had some belly of tuna to slide down my throat. Now that's a treat. The best.

Pot Belly said:
Hehe POTUS - you have my mouth watering. All this talk about 'possum. Makes me want to toss out the rattlesnake I've got marinating in the fridge for tonights grub.:p

Wish I had some belly of tuna to slide down my throat. Now that's a treat. The best.

Oh man! Toro, (raw tuna belly meat), is AWESOME !!!! It's one of my favorites.

I love rattler BBQ. Man, now you have MY mouth watering!

you eat somee nasstie stuff there, i wouldnt even attemp ground hog:eek:

Hey there supper is served,
As a survival instructor at the end of my tour, I am here to tell one and all that if you are hungry enough you will gladly eat stuff that would make a billy goat puke. In the Panama jungles there are instructors that would blow your minds away.
I have eaten Horse, Dog, Deer, Monkey, Snake, Rabbit, and an ubundance of creepy crawlies.
I have not tried skunk, or Possum, but sounds good to me.

Mutt, I was referring to what folks will eat to stay alive, i.e. survival in a pow camp.

PS. Closing your eyes, doesn't help one bit or bite. LOL

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

Now, y'all keep in mind that it's always better to use a live trap and catch your small game. Feeding them nothing but cracked corn for a couple of weeks will greatly improve their weight and taste. Takes out a lot of the gamey taste.

Ekoostik_Hookah: hehe- Not enough meat on the tail. Rats are a common dish in lots of countries. I've never had the occasion to try them, but I'll bet it's good! Just as with other critters that live nasty in some cases, you have to raise them yourself to have good ones. Eating one from a sewer probably would be really nasty. Feed them corn, grain and keep their cage clean and you'd have a tasty dish!

Mutt said:
I knew you'd chime in POTUS :p

Hahahahahaaha, you were right!

Thanks, now I'm hungry enough to eat the south end of a north bound cow!

POTUS said:
Hahahahahaaha, you were right!

Thanks, now I'm hungry enough to eat the south end of a north bound cow!
That would be a "rump roast" :p

Latest posts

Back