It's First Time. I would like to have some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you get your HPS light, make sure you get a reflector fixture that is enclosed and vented as these lights generate a lot of heat. You will need to get a fixture with the 6" vents and then get a centrifugal fan that will pull about 400-500cfm. You will need fflex hose to connect the fan to the light. I'm not sure how much you know on this but you will need to set the fan up outside your tent and connect it through one of the vent holes in the upper part of the tent to the light ffixture with flex hose. This will pull the air out of the tent through the light so that you keep the heated air from building up inside the tent. It also cools the light bulb which extends its life, and it will cause fresh air to be pulled in at the bottom of the tent so that the plants have fresh air all the time.

You will need to remove the heated and used air from the room in which you have the grow tent so that it doesn't build up in the room or the tent will stay hot. You have some time before you really need these items (HPS light, exhaust fan, flex hose) so don't worry if you cant get it right away. you have several weeks yet (about 4-6 before switching to flower).

Don't fforget that as the seedlings grow and get closer to the light, you will need to move it up so that they don't get too hot. If you haven't done it yet, now is the time to decide on your medium and grow method, and your nutrients.

I just got a new HPS 400! :chuck:

The babies are 16!

Lads, I would like to ask how much water for day a plant? Also should I be on 20 hours light a day?

Thank you very much for everyone here. You make it so simple and inspiring for me.

:vap_bong__emoticon:

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.07.09.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.14.36.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.14.46.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.14.54.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.15.14.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.15.21.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-07 18.15.30.jpg

you deffinitely need to get the light closer to them. Try to stay about 30-40cm away from them, but feel the radiant heat from the light by placing your hand over the tallest plant top with your palm just touching the top of the plant. Hold it there for about 20seconds. If you hand get uncomffortably warm then raise the light up until the light isn't uncomfortable to your hand. That is the maximum height for the light to stay to the plants.

You will need to keep the light on 24hrs ffor the next 3-5 weeks. If the plants are Autoflower then they will begin to show small flowers(white pistil hairs sticking out the tops off all of the top growth) between 3rd and 5th week. When they do, switch your light schedule to 20hrs on and 4hrs off. Iff by the 5th week, they don't show the beginnings of flowers by the end of the 5th week then go ahead and switch the lights to 20on/4off and they should begin popping out flowers. This is how I do mine :)

Also I noticed a couple water spots on the leaves in one picture. You need to be careful to not get water droplets on the leaves as that will magnify the light just like a lens and burn the leaves.

I noticed that the light fixture you have is a open hood rather than an enclosed, vented hood. These are generally more diffficult to maintain comfortable temperatures in a grow space. At this point ventilation is critically important. You need to have a centrifugal fan mounted at the top of the tent to pull the heated, co2 depleterd air out of the tent, so that cool fresh air can be pulled in through the openings in the bottom of the tent. You will also need a small fan to set within the tent to blow around the plants to keep fresh air to them and to keep heat from building up around them. One off the small tower fans that oscillates would be ideal for your space. but for the ventilation you will need a centrifugal fan like this; http://www.discount-hydro.com/blauberg-inline-mixed-flow-fan/

Dont get a fan like this: http://www.discount-hydro.com/inline-duct-fans/

I would like to thank you for every tip and clarification of what to do and how to be a better grower. 400hps heats up a lot! Its on 24H! :laugh: The temperature and humidity rose from 22 ° / 65 % to 30 /50% . I realized that there are some yellow spots on lower leaves also the edges are curling. I'm using a fan to ease the situation as still do not have money to buy an internal fan , carbon filter. I wonder if anyone knows an alternative way while these products do not have. I would also ask about how to manage the daily amount of water for the plant. What do you suggest?

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.12.38.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.12.57.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.13.08.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.13.20.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.13.27.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.13.35.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-10 08.15.04.jpg

We are glad to help :) They can take the heat if you put some kind of fan blowing on them, and right now you don't have to have the carbon filter, just the exhaust fan will do so that you continually circulate the air from within to the outside of the tent. Without that, they will not make it through flowering in that kind of heat. If nothing else, ffor now open the door and place a box ffan or standing ffan so that it blows air onto the plants from outside the tent where its cooler. That will give them relief from the heat and will give them fresh air. :)

Those plants will take up differing amounts of water for different conditions. Look at the soil then stick you finger into it as deep as you can without damaging roots, and feel the moisture of the soil. If it is moist, don't water. If it is dry, water them thoroughly and then wait until they are dry again. Check each plant so that you know what each one is doing. Eventually you will be able to tell just by looking at them if they are thirsty or hungry. Your humidity sounds ok for now. :)

Is that your thermometer hanging in the middle of the pic above the plants? If so, your temps are not as bad as they appear. The radiant heat from the light will heat up the thermometer box and give you a higher reading than the actual air temp. If you will move it to where it doesn't have the light shining directly on it(but not close to the light ffixture), then give it a day to normalize, you will be able to see the actual air temp.

Vulcano22, if you are good with electrical you could remove the ballast connected to the light and extend the wiring so you can place the ballast outside of your tent.

that is a good idea :) That would certainly remove a good amount of heat. And its not difficult to do.

Hushpuppy and MR1,

Thank you very much. Babies are getting really big day after day. I feel like they are 2x bigger than 3 days ago :vap-bobby_on_the_be

The temp is about 26° / 60 Humidity. I just put a fan running 24/7 as the light does.

I just took these pictures few minutes ago.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much!

View attachment 2014-10-13 00.34.40.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-13 23.59.46.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-14 00.00.21.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-14 00.00.32.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-14 00.00.43.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-14 00.00.57.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-14 00.01.10.jpg

The kids are looking happy. :) I may have already asked this before but cant find it at the moment, What kind of soil do you have them in? What kind of nutrients are you planning on using to feed them?

Hey Hushpuppy!

I'm using Biobizz. The soil is Lightmix, also i'm using Biogrow, Bio Bloom and Top Max.

As a Beginner I might say its quite easy. I'm just following their charts.

They start to smell today! :peace:

22 days, Lights are running over 24/7. I have some curly on the leaves, so I'm just wondering its time to change the scheme.

What do you think?

Thank you very much. :2940th_rasta:

There is a bit of leaf curl beginning but it is hard to say if that is a problem or not. I wouldn't do anything right now. Just let them grow. Iff you don't have any dolomite lime then you need to get a small bag of it. Make sure it is dolomite not hydrated. You will need to add about 1 Tbsp of the lime to the top of the soil and then work it into the soil. This will supply magnesium for them and will help balance the pH.

Latest posts

Back